ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

Nope.

Here's a crazy idea for you to think about too. What if the update was released on time, as planned, and then six months later there was a ship interiors update? You know, with them not having said 'ship interiors will never be a thing.'

+1 on this, its been said a few times now and its the most logical of solutions

FDEV putting the cart before the horse as always.

Surely if we are going to be getting out of our ships for the first ever time, it would have been that much more magnificent, and made that much more sense if we had to, you know, get out of our chair and walk through said ship first? Space legs feels sad, empty, and pointless without this, I just cannot understand the mentality of FDEV at all.

Totally deaf to your own paying customers for 6 years straight now. Good job guys.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that for us, I would rather ship interiors done later to give them the time and love they deserve rather than crammed in on launch just to tick a box. Good call!

LOL yeah, even though Braben said the game was made from the ground up with ship interiors already done for this feature being added later. Even if not, they haven't had time yet to make ANY progress towards making this happen? It's been 6 years! The most requested feature for SIX YEARS.

Surely if we are going to be getting out of our ships for the first ever time, it would have been that much more magnificent, and made that much more sense if we had to, you know, get out of our chair and walk through said ship first? Space legs feels sad, empty, and pointless without this, I just cannot understand the mentality of FDEV at all.

Totally deaf to your own paying customers for 6 years straight now. Good job guys.
Which invites complaints about:
1 I have to release my seat restraint
2 Get down from the seat
3 Walk across the ship to fetch my special surface walking suit
4 Walk down the ramp

Why can't all this tedium be done instantly ? 🤷‍♂️

LOL yeah, even though Braben said the game was made from the ground up with ship interiors already done

No, not "done" considered, taken into account while designing things.

So, they have sketches, designs, ideas - but no, they never said they'd made anything, just that it was always being considered, for the future point they do it. (Which isn't now) (Which sucks, but yeah)

This is great news for us VR users, thank you Frontier!!!! But one question, will the flat projected screen still be in 3D (Like 3d Vision I guess) so objects have depth or will it be literally flat 2D and no depth?

At this point they've been 'considering' it for 6 years as some have said. There is an old axiom for folks who drag their feet in such a manner

Poop or get off the pot!

LOL yeah, even though Braben said the game was made from the ground up with ship interiors already done for this feature being added later. Even if not, they haven't had time yet to make ANY progress towards making this happen? It's been 6 years! The most requested feature for SIX YEARS.
If only (compelling) gameplay would depend solely on 3D assets...

While Odyssey will see players explore a wide range of on and off world locations including station interiors, ship interiors will not be included at launch.

We understand that the bond between Commander and starship is incredibly strong and know this is disappointing news for some.

I am definitely one of those who would be disappointed...that said, I understand you also have a very finite amount of resources (specifically including time and energy, even assuming money could be ignored), meaning priorities and it'd be best to focus on the biggest updates. On the other hand, just make sure you get around to it sometime in the future. OK?

Last edited:
2 Get down from the seat
4 Walk down the ramp

if we all thought like that, today GTA would be just a driving game.

2 Get down from the seat
4 Walk down the ramp

And yet,I would like that thought of that instantaneity to apply to the tritium charge of fleet carriers.
Why the hell do I have to take 30 trips to load the fuel tank when I can contract services with their ships and modules instantly? There is nothing to excuse that stupidity

Funny that, I'm a paying customer and I couldn't really care less about ship interiors.

You do realise that different people have different opinions, right?

No, not "done" considered, taken into account while designing things.

So, they have sketches, designs, ideas - but no, they never said they'd made anything, just that it was always being considered, for the future point they do it. (Which isn't now) (Which sucks, but yeah)
So what do you think this is?

So what do you think this is?

Well it certainly isn't designed ship interiors built to be able to walk around.

That's an anaconda right?

Well, that also happens to be the one ship they made a damage model for - which needed some "inside bits" to be able to see them through the peeled off panels. So yeah, they've likely got a few bits of the interior generically modeled in a low detail level to work for the damage model stuff on the anaconda (and probably some other ships).

That's not in any way near the stuff they'd need to make for you to be able to walk around inside the ship.

Funny that, I'm a paying customer and I couldn't really care less about ship interiors.

You do realise that different people have different opinions, right?

I'll take the pepsi challenge on this right now, if you were to poll every player of ED I would be 100% confident an overwhelming amount of people would say ship interiors are quintessentially what they actually imagined when we started talking about space legs 6 years ago, and that they are extremely annoyed/disappointed this isn't the case now. It's almost irrefutable that this has been the most requested feature for ED since its inception and it really makes no sense to have any other form of space legs without this. Fade to planet/station surface is not the space legs anyone envisioned.

This really is such a huge misstep by FDEV. It would have been a monumental, pivotal moment standing out of that seat after 6 years in your beloved ship and making your way to the surface. Just that image alone would have attracted a lot of new players from the other big space games. And to say 'mer mer merrr this would take ages to get outside' is silly, I can't get a lift straight down to the airlock, or near to it, from the bridge? Why not? This should have simply been part of the design process.

I admit I misquoted Braben earlier, but he did say the game had been made from the ground up with ship interiors/space legs in mind, and the fact nothing has been done to make this happen in 6 years is very poor.

Last edited:
I'll take the pepsi challenge on this right now, if you were to poll every player of ED I would be 100% confident an overwhelming amount of people would say ship interiors are quintessentially what they actually imagined when we started talking about space legs 6 years ago, and that they are extremely annoyed/disappointed this isn't the case now. It's almost irrefutable that this has been the most requested feature for ED since its inception and it really makes no sense to have any other form of space legs without this. Fade to planet/station surface is not the space legs anyone envisioned.

With respect, you've written a load of stuff there that exists in your head. I'm sure you do genuinely believe it and you may even be right but you have absolutely no way of knowing what a majority of people want. None whatsoever. Even if everybody on this forum and reddit said 'yeah that's what we want' that's well under 1% of the player base.

In addition, I'm not advocating against ship interiors at all. As I said, I couldn't care less about them, which means exactly that. There's no way in hell that I'd want an update to be delayed because of them though, not least because there's no reason to delay the update. The only difference between delaying the update for however long it would take to include them and not delaying the update for however long it would take to include them, is that we could be playing the rest of the new content whilst that's being developed.

I will say this though. If the game was to make me walk all the way through say my Anaconda, or Corvette in order to get out, I'd want a skip button because that is going to be 'fun and immersive' for maybe as many as three times. After that, it's going to be as annoying as watching an unskippable cutsecene, on the basis that walking somewhere is not gameplay.

Ships interiors are already made, why can't we just hop out of the chair? I don't care if you can only do it while enabling some kind of auto-pilot mode with basic combat and exploring manouvers.

I wouldn't care if you cannot control the ship while you're walking inside of it.

But we should be able at least to see our legs in the cockpit ONLY, at least that, if they don't want to add ship interiors. just block the door and open it when you can dev it out. But at least give us the cockpit :D

i would happily buy the game. but I haven't got Vr, is more suited for VR and CoD players than space xplorers. D:

(I guess I will buy it anyways, I mean, why wouldn't I? :D )

Last edited:
With respect, you've written a load of stuff there that exists in your head. I'm sure you do genuinely believe it and you may even be right but you have absolutely no way of knowing what a majority of people want. None whatsoever. Even if everybody on this forum and reddit said 'yeah that's what we want' that's well under 1% of the player base.

In addition, I'm not advocating against ship interiors at all. As I said, I couldn't care less about them, which means exactly that. There's no way in hell that I'd want an update to be delayed because of them though, not least because there's no reason to delay the update. The only difference between delaying the update for however long it would take to include them and not delaying the update for however long it would take to include them, is that we could be playing the rest of the new content whilst that's being developed.

I will say this though. If the game was to make me walk all the way through say my Anaconda, or Corvette in order to get out, I'd want a skip button because that is going to be 'fun and immersive' for maybe as many as three times. After that, it's going to be as annoying as watching an unskippable cutsecene, on the basis that walking somewhere is not gameplay.

Of course I don't believe I know what every player wants and nor could I, but I have been playing since Beta, on all 3 platforms. I've been in multiple squadrons, forums, groups and in game I have spoken to many players. Over that time I have heard players from all ages/nationalities/backgrounds say how space legs/ship interiors would be incredible. So whilst I have spoken to a very small percentage of total players, I feel I've seen a wide cross section of the playerbase. Over the last 6 years I cannot even begin to count the amount of times I have heard people talk about getting out the seat and exploring their ship. Add to that the reactions to this update I've seen on discord, forums, YouTube and I feel confident a huge majority would agree with me.

And as I said previously there's no reason for you to need to take a huge walk to the airlock, that should be a simple part of the ships design. For example the lift on the bridge of the Conda or Vette leading right to the outside of the airlock on the lowest deck.

To your point about delaying the update? I absolutely would be OK with that, and from a business standpoint it would make absolute sense. It would certainly bring in players from the competition as these features would bring ED into line with some of the largest points of contention we have with SC/NMS etc. Instead this runs the risk of being a bit of a wet fart of a release rather than a fanfare, with a mixed reception and lacking that beautiful and powerful image of us walking out of our ships and into the universe. It just furthers FDEV's already bad reputation and confirms to the competition that ED devs will never do as its players want or achieve the heights their games will.

That said I totally respect your view and anyone else's as well, I'm just disappointed in FDEV.... as always.

Last edited:
I admit I misquoted Braben earlier, but he did say the game had been made from the ground up with ship interiors/space legs in mind, and the fact nothing has been done to make this happen in 6 years is very poor.

I'm pretty sure you're right about what a lot of players would expect to have come with "space legs"

I know before they announced Odyssey, with the cinematic trailer using development footage which didn't contain a commander getting out of his chair within the ship - I really did expect that to be a thing on day one of any space legs expansion they made.

As soon as I saw the trailer though, I was pretty much 99.99% sure there wasn't going to be. It would be such a crazy idea not to show that moment in the trailer if it was going to be in there.

But, yes, I agree, it's disappointing, and I was pretty amazed when I saw that trailer, surprised, and also confused.

Top Bottom