ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

Well , as always -> „we believe it is right to invest our development time in locations and features“ an NOT what User really want ... and willing to pay for.
You should not believe at all , instead simply do what the community is looking for. Who dictates this line of sight? check yourself.
If you stay that way ... this kind of handling will someday your payment. Is that your goal ... good night!
The list is far to long on what went wrong ... the only solution is that ED is not your focus ... maybe the next, will be a farming sim on your dev list ...heehaa!

looking foreward ... that you will do better ... in some way!
greetings / 07
Cumulus

Well , as always -> „we believe it is right to invest our development time in locations and features“ an NOT what User really want ... and willing to pay for.
Funny thing is, the bulk of what I want is in Odyssey, namely being able to fly my ship in VR under alien skies, and thus I’ll be willing pay for Odyssey. Being able to go EVA is something I neither desire nor abhor. Same with ship interiors. If they have decent gameplay attached, great. If not, no skin off my nose. I play this game to fly virtual space ships. There are plenty of space-based survival games out there where I can get my EVA/IVA fix.

YMMV

Not really. It would work somewhat like engineers already does, but it would add more tweaking and maybe, if they add some new modules + 1 size slot to all existant ships, and at least 1000 hull points to all ships (hey, new technology? why not? good thargoid tech, or some guardian stuff), and way to unlock it, all ships would benefit and all new playstyles will come to life, with
A free man here (y)

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

Well, It's beyond obvious that in here, I'm giving MY opinion, on what "could be better in my way of viewing it". Im not imposing anything on anyone, even if it might look that I might imply it or something.

Not really. It would work somewhat like engineers already does, but it would add more tweaking and maybe, if they add some new modules + 1 size slot to all existant ships, and at least 1000 hull points to all ships (hey, new technology? why not? good thargoid tech, or some guardian stuff), and way to unlock it, all ships would benefit and all new playstyles will come to life, with

Well, It's beyond obvious that in here, I'm giving MY opinion, on what "could be better in my way of viewing it". Im not imposing anything on anyone, even if it might look that I might imply it or something.
I can only agree (y)

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

Not happy this should have been done first then worked outward from there, & if not in the initial release when will it be implemented ? This is one of the things that make it feel immersive (ship interiors) not really interested until you can have the full monty so to speak. But glad & hopeful that maybe moving in that direction.

Not happy this should have been done first then worked outward from there, & if not in the initial release when will it be implemented ? This is one of the things that make it feel immersive (ship interiors) not really interested until you can have the full monty so to speak. But glad & hopeful that maybe moving in that direction.
If the expansion is good and enjoyable, you will get immersed. While ship interiors would be nice, it would only be nice if there was some meaningful gameplay behind them.

Yes for the pirates to have the possibility to enter into the ships of other Cmdrs.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
So not too much then. They obviously can't do both at the same time, so I'm happy they have concentrated on the areas that are likely to produce the mains gameplay. Sure I can think of many reasons to have ship interiors, including EVA to a derelict ship in space, but that will be very specific. Get the big stuff done first, which can give us something to use, then they can concentrate on adding the other bits. For all we know, they are working on ship interiors at the moment and plan to release them when they are ready. We just don't know at the moment.

So not too much then. They obviously can't do both at the same time, so I'm happy they have concentrated on the areas that are likely to produce the mains gameplay. Sure I can think of many reasons to have ship interiors, including EVA to a derelict ship in space, but that will be very specific. Get the big stuff done first, which can give us something to use, then they can concentrate on adding the other bits. For all we know, they are working on ship interiors at the moment and plan to release them when they are ready. We just don't know at the moment.
Well if you take a look in the recent GalNet news, some Prince was killed after his ship security was pwn3d, so...

There you have it, they will add ship interiors, but they are trolling everyone about it saying they won't

While ship interiors would be nice, it would only be nice if there was some meaningful gameplay behind them.
No offence, but why do so many people feel the need to point this out?

"It's a space game, you can't do anything or go anywhere, there is no meaningful gameplay, but you're in space and the devs thought that would be sufficient." :-/

No offence, but why do so many people feel the need to point this out?

"It's a space game, you can't do anything or go anywhere, there is no meaningful gameplay, but you're in space and the devs thought that would be sufficient." :-/
I think there is so much in gameplay and assets to work on that is easier, it makes sense ship interiors are lower priority. Interiors potentially also have a high annoyance factor and lower utilization than planet and outpost/ station interiors. Repetitive long walks down the same corridor in an Anaconda would get pretty boring after a handful of trips. The game cost and complexity of issues dealing with physics and object counts when walking around in space also probably taking more R$D.

Simply walking about or even shooting stuff in a building, on the ground, or in a space station that isn't moving like spaceships do = easier; even with some +/- modifiers for different gravity. I don't say easy because they still have to work all the new assets into the PG system and develop the gameplay to work in the game they have already built.

Either characters would be required to be strapped in during flight or a total handwavium pass would be required. I wrote about this issue before, saying for passenger ship gameplay that ED should include "passenger comfort" instrumentation and ratings. Commercial airliners for example can make stronger maneuvers than they do, but would severely freak out the passengers. Also, spaceflight adds even more complication. With no artificial gravity, ships are zero-g in space. But even with artificial gravity it would be hard to correctly model characters moving inside flying ships unless total handwavium is sprinkled everywhere and humans are considered indestructible an amazingly strong. Why? The models are going to be subject to many strong changes in thrust and motion. During flight, particularly any with rather "violent" maneuvers, explosions and projectile hits. Do we and FD handwave and ignore all the thrashing about the inside and say magnetic boots are sufficient to stabilize a human body and prevent being banged against all the walls? Because the boots only hold feet to the floor, and don't stabilize the legs, torso, arms and head. Once FD opens up walking in ships then that issue, amongst others like handling ship hijack/theft, has to be addressed.

Having said all that, I do want to see ship interiors as well, and no doubt they can be modelled. So hopes for the future.

When I'm flying my ship, no matter the maneuver and theoretical G's I pull, neither I or my in-game avatar feel it, so we must already have inertial dampening - therefore walking around also wouldn't be a problem.

Really? I've never seen that in VR...
I don't think it's a VR thing, it's just part of the game engine. It used to be more obvious.

Try pitching down during the glide phase of planetary entry & you'll see the screen go red, pitch up to see it go dark.

Bear in mind too that inertial dampers are not the same as gravity plating, or anti-gravity. The amount of G our pilots can withstand does stretch credulity though :)

it would be really great the inside of the ships... With what it induces... the multicrew gameplay. one of the teammate running to a turret... Or simply the Captain who would leave the helm to go write in his logbook in his quarters... With Frontier, the interior of the ship must necessarily include a gameplay... In any case, congratulations for Odyssey Frontier, it's an excellent start towards even more freedom.

Top Bottom