Odyssey Update - Weapon Engineering Recipe Fixes

We expect that starting by listing the ingredients correctly, we'll see a lot fewer concerns about the amount of mats required. If there needs to be further balancing, we're open to feedback!
The unlocks for engineers are the main problem.

I'd be very curious to hear the designers thought process on why they didn't go with some kind of specific mission to unlock engineers, rather than a generic do X thing y times or gather z of q item.

Seemed like a missed opportunity with the ship engineers, I kind of figured the designers might have seen the feedback on those and had a think about alternative designs.

I really think we should be able to remove mods, just like modules on ships. The permanency of these mods right now means that I'm going to google the meta builds, grind for that, and then never touch it again. If you allow us to remove things and 'mix and match,' then I'm definitely going to be inclined to unlock more mods and experiment (assuming the grind isn't insane, which it feels like currently). By locking us into permanent mods, there's no way I'm going to do any fun stuff, because I'll feel like I'm just wasting my time unless it's the meta.

Edit: apologies, just clarified with the developers. Unfortunately the additional ingredients will have been removed if you already made the modifications.
In that case the fix gets 5/10.

You (not you personally) should've reimbursed the players who spend too many ingredients for modifications. I know it would be more effort but it's not witch craft. You just need a simple tool that checks if our savegames have engineered weapons and reimburse players accordingly. I am not talented at all but I could create it within a few hours. If you screw up you don't just need to fix it, you also need to make good the stuff you screwed up.
By the way, personally I am not bothered by it because I didn't undergo the grind yet.

You (not you personally) should've reimbursed the players who spend too many ingredients for modifications. I know it would be more effort but it's not witch craft. You just need a simple tool that checks if our savegames have engineered weapons and reimburse players accordingly. I am not talented at all but I could create it within a few hours. If you screw up you don't just need to fix it, you also need to make good the stuff you screwed up.
By the way, personally I am not bothered by it because I didn't undergo the grind yet.
Bit harsh: for people like me who have done a lot of engineering we would end up with more than the 1000 mats if we got refunds - so what do they do - ignore the limits, or ditch stuff randomly? They way they've done it seems fine, and is least likely to break everything 🤷‍♀️

Bit harsh: for people like me who have done a lot of engineering we would end up with more than the 1000 mats if we got refunds - so what do they do - ignore the limits, or ditch stuff randomly? They way they've done it seems fine, and is least likely to break everything 🤷‍♀️
It's not complicated, if you already are at the limit you don't get it. If they can't give me some materials (not me personally, as I said, I am not affected) without breaking things the game would be doomed indeed... ;)

It's not complicated, if you already are at the limit you don't get it. If they can't give me some materials (not me personally, as I said, I am not affected) without breaking things the game would be doomed indeed... ;)
Possibly if you aren't affected by something you should defer to the opinion of someone who is :)

(But they we couldn't have all the anti- Odyssey threads from ppl who don't even play .... 🤔 .... I can live with that :D )

Possibly if you aren't affected by something you should defer to the opinion of someone who is :)

(But they we couldn't have all the anti- Odyssey threads from ppl who don't even play .... 🤔 .... I can live with that :D )
If you are really one of the people who already maxed out their inventory I guess you are not that much affected. The wasted materials are probable 1/1000 of your playtime...

So I guess your opinion isn't that relevant either... ;)

Anyway, my comment was more generally about how to handle screw ups. And I gave the fix 5/10 which is still positive. :D

I'm trying to imagine a semi-casual player managing to accumulate enough power regulators or manufacturing instructions to upgrade even a single suit!
Took me about seven weeks to get a G5 Dominator + 2 G5 weapons for it, probably doing an average of one Odyssey mission a day. Probably have the spare bits as a result of that to add at least some engineering upgrades to them too, if I wasn't 22,000 LY from the nearest on-foot engineer, and if a plain G5 weapon wasn't already massive overkill - I haven't checked.

If you're allied, 5 MIs or 1-2 PRs as mission rewards from a scavenger hunt or similarly easy mission aren't that uncommon, and the other bits came from looting the PWR and EXT lockers afterwards.

It doesn't feel that unreasonable to take seven weeks of casual missions to go from "is this weapon actually doing damage?" to "one hit kill" and from "one hit dead" to "I should probably have turned my shields on before starting this fight" ... especially since now I've got this firepower it should be a bit quicker to get the materials to upgrade the second suit and maybe a couple of spare weapons if (as usually happens) the MIs come faster than the PRs.

Greetings Commanders,

An update containing two bug fixes will go live shortly after the time of this post:

• Corrections to erroneous numbers in weapon engineering recipes
  • Removal of ingredients which are not required in certain recipes
These issues affected the accuracy, headshot damage and weapon range modifications of various weapons.

If you encounter any further issues, don't hesitate to leave us your feedback. No downtime or disruption to gameplay will be necessary.

O7
Thank you for the update. Any incremental improvements to quality of life is as always very welcomed.

Oh, that explains why I had to drop a bunch of materials I didn't expect when I was putting the accuracy mod on my shotguns.
(Not doing that scope bug 'cause I consider it too close to an exploit, but putting a choke on a shotgun is good)

I have completely burned out on the grind-for-everything aspect of this game. And it's getting worse, not better. How about I do various activities to earn credits, and then I use said credits to buy the stuff I need to go to what I want to do? Maybe even bribe an engineer to modify my stuff? ;)

I have bough a G3 of every suit and all weapons I want, and just that was already easily overkill for missions if you pay attention. My main combat suit is a G4 maverick, dont even need a dominator for even the hardest missions. Heck, even G1 gear us fine for 90% of missions.

If you don't want to do them that's more than fine. But it has nothing to do with mods or grind. :)

Edit: apologies, just clarified with the developers. Unfortunately the additional ingredients will have been removed if you already made the modifications.
Oof. And here I was putting Range modifications on tons of guns... Just more time in the gutter I guess. Either way, thanks for fixing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom