odyssey vr

I think they are afraid people getting motion sickness when using gamepad/mouse for headtracking.
Why not using VR-headtracking for normal look around and while holding the aim button you use the mouse / gamepad for precise aiming.

Why not playing standing up instead ?
As most players use hotas in VR, why they just don't use kat loco to walk in place ?
And make this choice OPTONAL ?
Three options : - Use Kat loco/WalkOVR devices ( standing "real" VR )
- Use 3D Rudder device ( seated "real" VR )
- Use mouse/joystick/keyboard (seated and flat projection screen into the hmd )
That's it .
Is that difficult at all devs ?
Just like you choose "use track IR device" in the options menu : for those who complain " bla , bla , not every one can afford a hotas/walkovr/kat loco device , blablabla..."
But a LOT of people can afford a Track IR or a full simulator cockpit with three giant screens etc; so this excuse is not available.
I'm amazed how some devs are so scared about innovation : so get this gun and fire yourself a bullet in the feet !
Edit: The only con is that in standing mode you need to have your controlers on; BUT you can use your controlers as a virtual joysticks (like in NMS) !
And with an accessory like the protas, that will allow them to be far more precise, you can flight like a pro.
I had tested them in NMS ( i play seated in cockpit and standing on foot with a real chair behind me ), the magnetic bases are fixed on my knees with straps, i simply "click" the controlers on the bases and go for the flight, then out of the cockpit, i "unclick" them , and go for exploration on foot.
The best solution so far is to wear gloves as controlers, so you can also grip hotas with them...but...

Last edited:
Flat projection is worst ever idea - all disadvantages of the screen and all disadvatages of VR headset.
You still looking on flat 2D image, around your screen are some crappy things like walls and your image looks like on low-resolution screen from the 90's

I think they are afraid people getting motion sickness when using gamepad/mouse for headtracking.
Why not using VR-headtracking for normal look around and while holding the aim button you use the mouse / gamepad for precise aiming.
Kind of a weak excuse from Frontier, I play ED in VR wireless, so no problem to get up from the chair and 'move' around using locomotion and turning around. I mean if you can drive an SRV in VR (big cause of nausea, apparently), then walking should be a piece of cake.
Rant over :cool:

I think it’s worth remembering how much VR implementation Odyssey was originally going to have at launch: none at all.

This may be the best time/cost (for launch) solution FDev could come up with for what is probably a very small number out of the apparently half-million regular players.

I’m extremely happy I’ll be able to play VREDO in a few weeks time, even if it’s just vehicles - and I’m hopeful the on-foot bits will become full VR in the future.

No VR walking is a bummer, but at least we’ll have it in ships and SRVs still.
And FDev has added the flat cinema screen option in the VR headset when walking, so you don’t have to take the headset off if you don’t want.
That was the best compromise they could come up with.
I don’t think lack of walking VR is to do with sickness or nausea, it’s down to technical issues and FDev don’t believe they can implement VR yet to an acceptable standard. Whether they do it in the future, I guess we’ll see...
For now, I’ll remove the headset when I get out of the ship, use my monitor and swap the HOTAS for a game pad.
Not ideal, but let’s see how it goes...

Kind of a weak excuse from Frontier, I play ED in VR wireless, so no problem to get up from the chair and 'move' around using locomotion and turning around. I mean if you can drive an SRV in VR (big cause of nausea, apparently), then walking should be a piece of cake.
Rant over :cool:
This is simple - if someone have sickness during use VR then still may not use the VR.

People who are immune should have possibility to play on kb+mouse in VR what imo is very comfortable.

Not it's not. Frontier committed to making ED 'designed for VR' from the beginning. It was the main reason I Kickstarted this.
I’m also a Kickstarter, though I pledged to get the next Elite game made which I’d been waiting many years for. I didn’t get into VR until 2017 but I can’t remember any mention of VR back during the campaign - in fact (having had a quick look) there’s nothing on the Campaign page at all, and only a little snippet on the FAQ tab that says they’d like to bring it to other platforms but “...the PC version comes first though...” - Oculus Rift included in the platforms along with iPad/iPhone/Console/Mac/Raspberry Pi 😁

(Edit: it wasn’t until Dev update #54, 10 Oct 2013, that FDev said they were going to support Oculus Rift)

FDev committed to the Mac version of ED during the Kickstarter...remember how that eventually turned out?

I’m glad we’re getting what we’re getting at release - because we were going to get nowt.

Last edited:
First person VR locomotion is most definitely a problem.

I have spent thousands of hours in VR, mostly driving and flying, but i still struggle with fooling my vestibular system when locomotion is involved.

I developed a technique that worked pretty well for Half Life Alyx which had me walking on the spot but rapid translations still caused me to start burning up.

My wife had locomotion problems but they're completely gone when i bought HP reverb g1 with 2160p resolution. On G2 she also have no issues.
I hink the resolution may be the factor (of course pople may react in different way) because i saw no reports of locomotion issues from users with high-res headsets.

Personally - i never have locomotion issues or any headset.

I’m also a Kickstarter, though I pledged to get the next Elite game made which I’d been waiting many years for. I didn’t get into VR until 2017 but I can’t remember any mention of VR back during the campaign - in fact (having had a quick look) there’s nothing on the Campaign page at all, and only a little snippet on the FAQ tab that says they’d like to bring it to other platforms but “...the PC version comes first though...” - Oculus Rift included in the platforms along with iPad/iPhone/Console/Mac/Raspberry Pi 😁

(Edit: it wasn’t until Dev update #54, 10 Oct 2013, that FDev said they were going to support Oculus Rift)

FDev committed to the Mac version of ED during the Kickstarter...remember how that eventually turned out?

I’m glad we’re getting what we’re getting at release - because we were going to get nowt.
The campaign page has been edited frequently so I wouldn't go on this. They weren't even talking about Oculus specifically in the beginning just that the game would be ground up for VR support. If I'd known campaign pages were going to be edited back in the day, I would've taken screenshots but who would've expected it to be necessary. I had the same debate with one of the mods over ED's original commitment to having an offline version. Then the campaign pages were edited and the offline commitment mysteriously disappeared.

A good rule of thumb is not to trust campaign pages as any sort of 'historic reference'. No idea why FDev do this, maybe they're afraid of being class actioned...

Last edited:
My wife had locomotion problems but they're completely gone when i bought HP reverb g1 with 2160p resolution. On G2 she also have no issues.
I hink the resolution may be the factor (of course pople may react in different way) because i saw no reports of locomotion issues from users with high-res headsets.

Personally - i never have locomotion issues or any headset.
Hey try this. Play SkyrimVR, walk along a path in a straight line and, using a controller ( preferably, though it might work with a keyboard ), pan your view in a circle as you walk. If I do it at just the right speed my canals start spinning.

Ages ago I mentioned being able to achieve a similar effect in ED by flying around to the back of a coriolis station, right up the Z access till I'm almost touching the station and it fills the headset view whilst I'm staring ahead. That will get me every time. Be interested to know if you, being another VR vet, have the same issue.

I am totally immune to this - am not good example ;) Back in my days i even passed tests on spinning for the pilots without feeling drunk.

Projecting 2D image on 3D VR gogles is simply silly. They even could project at least 3D image.

it's a workaround for not having to remove the headset (*) or even worse, having to close the game and fire up a different client for oddysey, which was the initial plan. which imo illustrates to what extent frontier completely forgot about vr when envisioning this expansion. it took a forum tantrum for them to realize and come up with this bandaid.

let that sink in: they completely forgot about vr when plotting the next expansion of their title "built for vr".

(*) removing the headset isn't even an option sometimes, not all makeshift cockpits have embedded monitors or a table ready for a mouse.

Top Bottom