odyssey vr

it's a workaround for not having to remove the headset (*) or even worse, having to close the game and fire up a different client for oddysey, which was the initial plan. which imo illustrates to what extent frontier completely forgot about vr when envisioning this expansion. it took a forum tantrum for them to realize and come up with this bandaid.

let that sink in: they completely forgot about vr when plotting the next expansion of their title "built for vr".

(*) removing the headset isn't even an option sometimes, not all makeshift cockpits have embedded monitors or a table ready for a mouse.
I don't understand how they could c-ock this up so completely. What is so difficult about standing up out of my simpit, grabbing my VR controllers and 'walking' around in Odyssey? Too many console kiddies working for this company!

I don't understand how they could c-ock this up so completely. What is so difficult about standing up out of my simpit, grabbing my VR controllers and 'walking' around in Odyssey? Too many console kiddies working for this company!
It’s not a c-up, it’s a compromise.
I think it’s worth remembering how much VR implementation Odyssey was originally going to have at launch: none at all.

This may be the best time/cost (for launch) solution FDev could come up with for what is probably a very small number out of the apparently half-million regular players.

I’m extremely happy I’ll be able to play VREDO in a few weeks time, even if it’s just vehicles - and I’m hopeful the on-foot bits will become full VR in the future.

The campaign page has been edited frequently so I wouldn't go on this.

You can check archived versions of the KS page on Wayback. Someone started archiving it from Nov 7 2012 (10k backers, no reference to VR at that point. Believe it was added in the alpha stage).

will odyssey be playable in vr

If you’re interested in pushing very basic VR legs at launch, come support this thread in the official Suggestion forum maybe ;)

You can check archived versions of the KS page on Wayback. Someone started archiving it from Nov 7 2012 (10k backers, no reference to VR at that point. Believe it was added in the alpha stage).
Guessed they missed something in the archive then ( but the internet is never forgets :ROFLMAO: ). VR and landing on planets were the only reasons I joined the original Kickstarter, before there was an alpha. Specifically, if they hadn't talked about VR, I wouldn't have thrown anywhere near as much dosh at it.

Kind of a weak excuse from Frontier, I play ED in VR wireless, so no problem to get up from the chair and 'move' around using locomotion and turning around. I mean if you can drive an SRV in VR (big cause of nausea, apparently), then walking should be a piece of cake.
Rant over :cool:
I have no wireless and i have to go to a save spot where i cannot damage anything nearby. This would take to long and i have to recenter the headset.
I think if someone has problems with nausea in VR, then ED is probably is not a good choice at all.

The flatscreen in VR is a worse choice. Until they the got a prober solution, i decide to play it without VR when walking around.

Are you all who slag the devs off forgetting something.
.Covid.
The fact that odyssey is coming is fab! Their all mainly working from home and yet they've still managed to get it done. Odyssey wasn't earmarked for Vr. It was ADDED to it.
The sheer success of vr its beauty ingame etc took the devs by surprise. They didn't realise how many of us there was and how passionate we all are. Our voice ensured this compromise. Because they was gonner drop it altogether till a later date. Time was against em.
Elite odyssey will have total vr one day I'm sure of it. Just don't know when.
Hats off to em getting it this far. Let's hope it works as intended bugs aside.

o7

I don't expect a big VR Update for Odyssey this year, maybe a work around or something experimental.
The top priority should be Odyssey itself. I think they are very busy atm getting things done before and while alpha.
Nothing great would happen until the console-version is released and core gameplay runs fine.

BTW: I'm still waiting for better graphic-card prices to enjoy ED with better settings in VR. So being patient and thankful is the best way.

I'm a big ED:O VR supporter, but IMHO there are a few things in Odyssey that can cause a delay in VR support, namely if the game engine had a big overhaul, do we know if it's the same for "space legs" part? There doesn't seems to be too many changes for the "classic" mode (sorry I don't remember if there are any other changes in "classic" mode apart from new features like light source changes), but "space legs" mode is completely new mode with different mechanic etc. So in this case it all make sense - 2D screen in VR etc. And IMHO it'll make getting the VR support in "space legs" mode (or improving "classic" mode VR support - please don't forget about "parallel projection" requirements pain) a bit easier as separated engines should be easier to mod.

Has anyone tried Odyssey with VR? I have; the transition isn't as jarring as it could be (performance sucks, but "Alpha" and all that). It's a bit like wearing a space suit, oddly - works perfectly "in ship" and then transitions to a kinda of headset/helmet look... it's obviously not stereoscopic, but it works as well as I could have hoped.

But the obvious thing for me is, why not just turn VR on and let us deal with it? Using the exact same method of movement (i.e. WASD) and stereo free-look. It'd be fine for most, since we're the ones who want it. If not, the 2D thing we have could be the middle ground. Yes, I get the whole VR controller thing, and move/dash/teleport, but meh. I don't need/want/care for that.

Odd decision. Still, better than the "no support" we were faced with.

I haven't been able to get it to work with my rift s. Horizons still works fine but all I get with odyssey is a blank headset though the mirror image in the monitor is showing.

I haven't been able to get it to work with my rift s. Horizons still works fine but all I get with odyssey is a blank headset though the mirror image in the monitor is showing.

Yeah I get that. Very annoying. Trying loading in 2D mode then switching to HMD once you're in. That seems to fix it. (You may find it does the same again when you log in though, so switch back to 2D before you log out)

Yeah I get that. Very annoying. Trying loading in 2D mode then switching to HMD once you're in. That seems to fix it. (You may find it does the same again when you log in though, so switch back to 2D before you log out)

Yes, it's definitely a challenge to get it working with Odyssey at the moment. To be fair, they did announce that it wouldn't be supported yet, so no idea why it is working at all... It doesn't fill me with confidence.

That said, using a Reverb G2 which requires SteamVR to run (current) ED, here's where I've got to - and if anyone can help out getting to next step I'm listening. :)

So, first time I tried to get into the alpha, the game crashed as soon as the client window opened up. Only way I could get it to work was by unplugging my HMD. I assumed it was something with SteamVR being the issue, as I had deleted my existing graphics settings, in fact went so far as to remove the whole Options folder (after backing it up, naturally).

Today, I decided to try again using the method mentioned above. I launched Horizons, went to Graphics and simply selected Off / None (whatever it is) in the 3D dropdown, exited then selected Odyssey and lo and behold the alpha fires up just fine in 2D.

Unfortunately that's as far as I could get in terms of VR as any time I tried to change the 3D graphics setting back to a VR mode the game ctd'd.

So if anyone has got further using a Reverb (or I presume other WMD device) I'd be interested in knowing what you did. Happy to hear from any Oculus users also, but I still suspect it's something to do with SteamVR and ED not playing nicely in Odyssey.

Yes, it's definitely a challenge to get it working with Odyssey at the moment. To be fair, they did announce that it wouldn't be supported yet, so no idea why it is working at all... It doesn't fill me with confidence.

That said, using a Reverb G2 which requires SteamVR to run (current) ED, here's where I've got to - and if anyone can help out getting to next step I'm listening. :)

So, first time I tried to get into the alpha, the game crashed as soon as the client window opened up. Only way I could get it to work was by unplugging my HMD. I assumed it was something with SteamVR being the issue, as I had deleted my existing graphics settings, in fact went so far as to remove the whole Options folder (after backing it up, naturally).

Today, I decided to try again using the method mentioned above. I launched Horizons, went to Graphics and simply selected Off / None (whatever it is) in the 3D dropdown, exited then selected Odyssey and lo and behold the alpha fires up just fine in 2D.

Unfortunately that's as far as I could get in terms of VR as any time I tried to change the 3D graphics setting back to a VR mode the game ctd'd.

So if anyone has got further using a Reverb (or I presume other WMD device) I'd be interested in knowing what you did. Happy to hear from any Oculus users also, but I still suspect it's something to do with SteamVR and ED not playing nicely in Odyssey.
Just confirming that I get the same result as you using the G2. Odyssey crashes if VR is enabled. It does bring up the Frontier crash report tool though.

Just confirming that I get the same result as you using the G2. Odyssey crashes if VR is enabled. It does bring up the Frontier crash report tool though.

Yes, as does mine. I've sent a few, not every one, since as I said, it's not officially supposed to work yet. At least, I hope that's the reason it's crashing out!

Thanks for replying, at least it's not just my system then... :)

Yes, as does mine. I've sent a few, not every one, since as I said, it's not officially supposed to work yet. At least, I hope that's the reason it's crashing out!

Thanks for replying, at least it's not just my system then... :)
Between Windows Mixed Reality, Steam VR for Windows Mixed Reality and an alpha test, anything could happen. :eek:

I'm getting the same consistently. Just tried again, ~5 seconds of blank screen on loading and then CTD. Horizons works normally.

BTW, even when I start the game in retro mode, my HOTAS, keyboard or game controller didn't do anything in the game except allow me to quit.

Top Bottom