Odyssey's Biggest Weakness: It lacks depth

The irony is that the staff actually ENJOY CQC, but yet they put ZERO effort into expanding it.

I still giggle when I think about the questions about CQC's potential for esports they were asked during the reveal.

It was DOA and I got the impression at the time that even the devs knew it.

I gave you a like OP because - for now - a lot of your points are valid.
I hope that changes.
It's still a very good addition to the base game.
I hope that I look like an idiot in a month from now as all my concerns become invalid. I've enjoyed Odyssey, and I really don't want it to be something I burn out of quickly once it's integrated.
It is what it is- Odyssey is an extension of the space mission system in that its proc gen and each mission is short (plus being a human scale UI). Bugs aside you have to take the BGS into account before saying everything is about crime, or how NPCs react to you either.

Until we see EDO in its entirety in action over a month or so we can;t tell because its slotting into an already complex system that will (in theory) add much more variety and nuance.
My biggest hope remains that the BGS will come in to save the day and make things interesting and more engaging where the core content fails to engage. But even then, it's just... maddening to see greatness so close, yet so far. Suits, for example, could have had all these cool modules built in that you could buy and swap around to optimize your suit for the kind of usage you want to get out of it... instead all you can do is grind engineering upgrades. And "stealth" missions make me want to scream with all the ways they could be so much better.
Any indication on what they're? I thought what we had was it, it was just the attachments that were missing.
Honestly, not sure. I had just seen a lot of talk about Plasma weapons being added in Phase 2, but none of it is from devs. I guess we'll see tomorrow. If what we have now is it, that's even more disappointing.

My biggest hope remains that the BGS will come in to save the day and make things interesting and more engaging where the core content fails to engage. But even then, it's just... maddening to see greatness so close, yet so far. Suits, for example, could have had all these cool modules built in that you could buy and swap around to optimize your suit for the kind of usage you want to get out of it... instead all you can do is grind engineering upgrades. And "stealth" missions make me want to scream with all the ways they could be so much better.
I agree! But at its core FD keep things realistic which translates to 'just enough' :D

I expect how it will shake down: the casual player will enjoy it, the hardcore will get bored of it, the BGS player will find ways to exploit it.

Personally, I really feel like this expansion was built upon the lifelike experience of what being on foot might be like. It might not be a full fledged FPS game like some other space games are, and I was worried about it in regards to actual content. However, the on foot stuff still feels very "elite", and that style definitely works.

Being on foot and not being able to sustain myself due to having power / oxygen to consider is definitely a good thing. Going into bases and having to think before I go in blasting everything in sight is also a good thing. The mission variety at this moment isn't spectacular, but lets be honest, neither are the missions for ships after a certain point.

For everything they officially said they'd have, they've delivered upon thus far. Is it buggy and riddled with "QoL potential changes"? Yes. But it's alpha, that's to be expected.

The one thing I remember most with the last beta I played, was the fact that they actually listened to the community in regards to the major time sinks it was to jump your FC anywhere, as well as the upkeep cost. I didn't like that they kept the upkeep as a real thing, but at the end of the day, it was a compromise and I'm okay with that.

I can't just justifiably say "it lacks content" when we haven't even been able to see everything there is to see yet. I think there's plenty of opened doors with this expansion, but as with most things in Elite, it's quite sandboxy in the fact that you often times have to make your own fun. The danger is real though, bullet sponges or not, and I appreciate that immensely.

I hope that changes.
Yeah, if we don't expect an FPS or a stealth game, then this is true - but if we expect something like what is advertised, it fails to be that.

Just like with stations as a social hub - and not putting in any social aspects - and what about exploring a station, there is nothing you could explore. It's a menu-replacer on legs.

Last edited:
I can't just justifiably say "it lacks content" when we haven't even been able to see everything there is to see yet. I think there's plenty of opened doors with this expansion, but as with most things in Elite, it's quite sandboxy in the fact that you often times have to make your own fun. The danger is real though, bullet sponges or not, and I appreciate that immensely.
Yes, I totally agree. Hopefully we will see a broader range of things to do at the end of this.

Ah this is wrong, you talk as IF you or even we, played and tested everything Odyssey has to offer, this is only phase 1 and it's an alpha, there is barely 1/4 of the contents for christ sake.
BGS is not even working, we didn't see everything the combat has to offer, exploration is not even there yet, we're stuck to one system without our own ship, planet tech is not final and not fully implemented, and so on and so on; I mean jesus, it's still really early.

Saying you can already see Odyssey getting negative reviews and that you 'hit the floor of what Odyssey's existing content has to offer you in terms of replayability' is with all due respect, very silly. I mean, are you serious or?

Ah this is wrong, you talk as IF you or even we, played and tested everything Odyssey has to offer, this is only phase 1 and it's an alpha, there is barely 1/4 of the contents for christ sake.
BGS is not even working, we didn't see everything the combat has to offer, exploration is not even there yet, we're stuck to one system without our own ship, planet tech is not final and not fully implemented, and so on and so on; I mean jesus, it's still really early.

Saying you can already see Odyssey getting negative reviews and that you 'hit the floor of what Odyssey's existing content has to offer you in terms of replayability' is with all due respect, very silly. I mean, are you serious or?
Absolutely. One of the problems is the wide range of the term "alpha" being used in game development. I have seen games go from Alpha to 1.0 just by changing the title of it. However this is more true to being an Alpha from my own point of view.

It's called having experience with FDev delivering expansions. PP, CQC, Multicrew, multi phase missions, Enemy AI. The list is long and sordid, and always there, but no point to it. They all started out interesting, and full of potential, then turned into a forgotten tacked on feature.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Indeed. Also it would seem "lack of depth" has become a catch all equivalent for any kind of "I don´t like it" 🤷‍♂️

I think possibly an hour ago, I'd agree with some of this. But guess what just happened? I was doing a mission, which normally I'd die on. Normally I'd do my normal thing, hack a door open, get spotted, shot, die. I recall some talking about shutting down stuff on the roof, so I tried that instead. It alerted the guards. Instead of running, I walked down the stairs, a guy scanned me. No probs. I went down expecting doors to be open, since I guessed folks inside would leave. They didnt. I headed back up, turned on the ventilation. Some security came upstairs. I thought I was a gonner...but nope, they scanned me, and left me. I headed down, and the door was open because a security guard was in it. I let her go by, and slipped inside. Found out I needed to be level 2 to gain entrance...luckily I saw a level 2 person, and she was alone. I zapped her, got the ident. I made it to the spot I thought I had to be, but then a guard scanned me. Realized I cloned some info. He shot, I ran...I lasted about 3 minutes. It was a blast.

I imagine this sort of hurdling may become a bit repetitive, but it is a procedurally generated galaxy with 440 billion stars. I think Im going to be ok with that, considering, for example, other games cant get one or 2 game loops to work in a single system. And yeah, this is Alpha...if they improve this at all, it's all greatness. But wow, cant wait to try that mission again.

The "it is only phase 1" argument isn't a valid one, because it was never claimed by the OP, that the whole Odyssey would lack content, but that gameplay seen in phase 1 is lacking in that what it is meant to be - seen from what is advertised - it is not really stealthy nor does it have typical FPS features - it is good nevertheless, as something what can be played by us once in a while - but if FDev thinks, that this will make guys who don't want to fly spaceships happy, they will be disappointed - these guys expect features like in other such games and if they aren't there, they will move on to other games.

I hope that changes.
Yeah same here, it's quality feedback on the stuff we've been exposed so far and I'm sharing similar concerns, but am keeping those to myself for now as I want to hold off with any final judgement until I see the rest of the content and how that interacts with the base game.

The other potential mitigating factor is that the points highlighted in the OP only become a problem if you're playing Elite solely for the progression curve, and I don't think that'll work well at all for us billionaire players.

I'm likely going to dip into the mission game only now and then for variety to the rest of the gameplay, most of which these days don't involve the mission board unless I need easy credits or mats.

A lot hinges on the exploration bit that we haven't seen yet, although I have to admit I'm trying to temper my expectations based on the existing state of exploration in the game.

I refer you to my previous reply to another individual who made the same comment in the first page of the thread. But to recap: The purpose of testing the Alpha is to provide data, feedback, criticism, and reports for the developers to act upon. The fact that this is Phase 1 and doesn't have BGS activated yet isn't an excuse to dismiss feedback on the core content provided within Phase 1. It very much has ways in which stands on its own merits and flaws, even before BGS is added to the equation. And I reiterate from earlier: I deliberately avoided touching upon anything that I perceived would be improved or fixed by Phases 2-4. If you had read the content of the post, that you would understand.

Absolutely. One of the problems is the wide range of the term "alpha" being used in game development. I have seen games go from Alpha to 1.0 just by changing the title of it. However this is more true to being an Alpha from my own point of view.
This is very much a true Alpha test, aye, and I expanded on this in the post as well. I acknowledge that. But according to FDev's own investor documents, this is slated for a full release prior to May 31st. That leaves a very very limited window to orchestrate major change, which is a large source of my concern.
Indeed. Also it would seem "lack of depth" has become a catch all equivalent for any kind of "I don´t like it" 🤷‍♂️
I actually quite like Odyssey, and find it full of qualities. But that's not the topic of the post, and it wouldn't fit to go on with a list of praise when I'm trying to deliver points to improve. Furthermore, even if someone doesn't like Odyssey, what of it? There's honestly nothing wrong with someone not liking a video game.

The lack of depth discussed in my post is in relation to core settlement-side activities and interaction that becomes apparent once the player reaches a certain level of experience and finesse with those mechanics. This isnt a "I don't like Odyssey" post.

I'm likely going to dip into the mission game only now and then for variety to the rest of the gameplay, most of which these days don't involve the mission board unless I need easy credits or mats.

A lot hinges on the exploration bit that we haven't seen yet, although I have to admit I'm trying to temper my expectations based on the existing state of exploration in the game.
This is the biggest strength of the update imho.
It's still the best spaceship flying game out there, but it gets a new dimension by making you able to "dip into foot gameplay" now and then.
I pretty much hope when flying your own ship it will blend in a lot better then now with Apex.
I'm pretty happy about the update, it's better then I thought it would be, but still it has flaws, and I hope many of the flaws will be corrected to make it even better.

This is a well-structured critique of the game structure we've seen so far. I think the dev team would do well do take on board your comments. As for the folks who rush to defend the game, claiming that we should all say nothing until the full game is released...well, that's not the point of releasing a game in the piecemeal-style of Alpha, Beta, etc. The point is to take feedback.

Last edited:
This is the biggest strength of the update imho.
It's still the best spaceship flying game out there, but it gets a new dimension by making you able to "dip into foot gameplay" now and then.
I pretty much hope when flying your own ship it will blend in a lot better then now with Apex.
I'm pretty happy about the update, it's better then I thought it would be, but still it has flaws, and I hope many of the flaws will be corrected to make it even better.
I agree with that - as an entertaining extension it is ok, but to say it would be made with stealth in mind or FPS - well, FDev has a different opinion about what that actually is.

Top Bottom