Oh my god I've created an Elite:Dangerous Wiki. (for player faction)

Great initiative. You’ll likely see us there shortly.

However, I have to say this about Inara. Inara is perfectly sufficient for display of information. The Overview and Documents pages of any faction is not only not subject to a character limit, but is fully customizable in format. It’s also able to be public information. People just don’t allow themselves to do so.

Artie has done a great job in being able to provide a good editor for folks to edit those documents. But you can do so much more in a wiki.
For the Order of Enblackenment page, not only do we have the regular info boxes that contain peripheral information and links out, but we have a timeline of our BGS updated when we achieve something of significance.
We've got links to all the systems we control or have a presence in and in each of them we list out the significance of each system to us.
Which was our first expansion, which was the second, which was the third... Why was this system a godsend to us given it has a signifcantly lower population than our home system? (I've actually got to add that info)
We can show this history, lore and stories on a system page by system page base or even a station by station basis. It's not something Inara's wing's overview and documents page is made for.

Fantastic job, Olivia! Excellent idea.

One question:
AEDC has one recognized PMF (Wolf 406 Transport & Co*), but supports as a group 2 others, one of which was involved in a major player battle and the current ruler of Ross 128. We additionally support other factions, run by individual diplomats. The four biggest factions AEDC or individual diplomats support control 30, 21, 19 and 17 systems, respectively, and are present in 31, 24, 26, and 25 systems. Some are marked as PMFs in eddb.io, but only W406 T&Co is recognized by FD as such.

Would you restrict us to only W406 T & Co, or would you allow us to add the others, too? All of these are actively player supported. They're just not recognized officially as PMFs.

* Yes, our PMF has a procedural name, because we supported it way before such a thing as PMFs existed. All the factions we support have procedural names.

If it's recognized by Eddb.io, I'll recognize it. I'm also working on an Alliance template page for faction groups like the border coalition who might like to talk about their thing. There might be something in having an alliance page.

I think there's a case to be made for the 4 biggest factions that AEDC supports. You're not the only one who does something similiar. The communists have a similar set up.

Nothing's set in stone, Send me a DM on Discord and we can talk more. or let us know here who those factions are.^^

As an addendum to all folks reading this knowledgeable in BGS

This page could use your eye on editing and adding information on it.

http://elite-factions.wikia.com/wiki/Background_Simulation

I've more or less just copied it from the Wolves of Jonai.

If you folks can help make it more neutral and informative. and perhaps see if certain things might work better on a separate page. go for it! I'll have a look at what's been done and make sure it's neat! ^^

Last edited:
Tick is currently at 11:00 but I would just say "once daily" unless you want to commit to keeping it updated...

There are rare ways other than Frontier action or historical events for a system to get 8 factions ("invasion"-type expansion ending in a draw, for example)

On faction type (aka "ethos"): not sure all of these are correct - I would say theocracies tend to be authoritarian and patronages + prisons tend to be corporate, but it's hard to tell for certain.

Influences are definitely not locked any more while factions are in a conflict. Lose-lose wars are definitely possible. This has been the case for years, so presumably is how it's supposed to work.

You'll get a pending expansion at 75% influence even if you have pending or active conflicts. It just won't become an active expansion until the conflicts are cleared.

Investment does not automatically trigger a pending expansion when it ends - the faction has to meet the normal expansion conditions again.

"Invasion" expansions aren't documented. To get an invasion you need:
- an expansion state
- no valid normal expansion targets within range (accounting for investment boosts if you have them)
- no conflicts pending
- a system within range with 7 factions not including you
You then can expand to that system, and immediately fight a War (even if it's with a faction of the same ethos) - the loser being kicked out of the system...

Nice initiative Olivia, may your tiny acorn grow into a massive oak!

And speaking of things growing beyond the creators wildest imaginings ... I've added this to the "Misc' other useful and/or interesting links" section of my "Best of Forum" thread.

Tick is currently at 11:00 but I would just say "once daily" unless you want to commit to keeping it updated...

There are rare ways other than Frontier action or historical events for a system to get 8 factions ("invasion"-type expansion ending in a draw, for example)

On faction type (aka "ethos"): not sure all of these are correct - I would say theocracies tend to be authoritarian and patronages + prisons tend to be corporate, but it's hard to tell for certain.

Influences are definitely not locked any more while factions are in a conflict. Lose-lose wars are definitely possible. This has been the case for years, so presumably is how it's supposed to work.

You'll get a pending expansion at 75% influence even if you have pending or active conflicts. It just won't become an active expansion until the conflicts are cleared.

Investment does not automatically trigger a pending expansion when it ends - the faction has to meet the normal expansion conditions again.

"Invasion" expansions aren't documented. To get an invasion you need:
- an expansion state
- no valid normal expansion targets within range (accounting for investment boosts if you have them)
- no conflicts pending
- a system within range with 7 factions not including you
You then can expand to that system, and immediately fight a War (even if it's with a faction of the same ethos) - the loser being kicked out of the system...

This all looks like very good information, Ian! :D You can add it to the page by clicking the edit button (be the change you want to be/see!) :p

Nice initiative Olivia, may your tiny acorn grow into a massive oak!

And speaking of things growing beyond the creators wildest imaginings ... I've added this to the "Misc' other useful and/or interesting links" section of my "Best of Forum" thread.

Thank you!!! I hope this does too. I need to reach out to all the groups. Maybe I should PM/email brett about this.

You never knew that 9 Aurigae has a rare commodity? I knew that the first day I was in the Order but I never shared it cause I thought everyone knew lol. Also great to see you after I got kicked out of the Order e.e

Great wiki btw! I’ll be adding my own faction once they get around to approving it lol

It wasn't common knowledge to us ^^ Good luck on your new faction! Remember the requirements though. At least 3 systems.

Last edited:
Alright I wanted to share what's possible with a system page in terms of lore one can show.

here's an example from one of our mature pages we've created using information gleaned from our experiences in the game turned to lore.

H9Y6ST6.png

Note that the system layout is hidden because it's a long list.

So we have a bunch of lore information here, including history, where it can be seen from sol, and notable events that have occured in the system such as the frequent outbreaks that kept occuring for some reason.

We also have a planet list and minor faction list. along with a photo of our planet from SIMBAD. We can add a few more photos of interesting aspects of our system.

I had been working on this strip for our earth-like world. When I'm finished with it, i'd probably like to share the entire thing there.
DC2LFBhUAAEfgNE.jpg:large

there's opportunities for us to add more to add to what this system is about.

I hope this provides some inspiration on what can be done with the system page and you folks (not just the guys on the top) feel like adding some info that'll add more.. lore to your collective worlds.

New Faction rules:

Requirements have been updated as of 06/12/2017. There are 2 requirements:
  • Owns or has owned at least 3 systems, or be situated in Colonia or Quince.
  • If your faction is an official faction, add a reference on your minor faction page from the player faction thread that says that your faction has been added to the game.

I hope these newly update rules are to your liking and allow even more active factions that may have been marginalized by the old rules to be added.

Have a good day.

Still working on the alliance template... but hey why don't one of you make an alliance page, i'll have a read and see what works and what doesn't, and make a template out of that for everyone else.

Hey folks! two new things to note.

I've created a new Coalitions category. and corresponding, Coalition, definition page. Please add to them.

If you're a Coalition like The Border Coalition, or the Communists. this is built for you.

However Coalitions do not apply to Minor factions under a Player group's guardianship.

These will be a new category, which will be called Protectorate. here are a couple explanations:

• A singular player group can manage a protectorate of non-player minor factions.
  • A coalition can contain a protectorate of non-player minor factions which they control/manage

So a faction like the Workers of Mainite Labour Union has a protectorate of 10 or so minor factions and is also in a Coalition with Interstellar Communist Union and other communist player factions called the Galactic Communist Union.

The protectorate that the Workers managed, it not managed by the coalition in this example but solely by the Workers.

Now I'm not entirely sure how to police this, so I'm going to make it pretty lax. Anyone who's formed one of these Coalitions have put a lot of work into this and there's likely a lot of hidden stories not many of us get to see.

I think those are good pros and I'll continue to minotr the wiki.

I hope this is acceptable you folks.

Have a goodd day!

Last edited:
You never fail to deliver on an impressive community experience, Olivia. Thank you!

Remember that Squadrons is coming at the end of next year and as such, there are plans for a Focused Feedback session on the forums (and streams) with Sandro. This could be something that's brought up as an addition to the overall set of tools included within the Squadron system :)

I have created an Elite: Dangerous player faction Wiki and I may have jumped of the deep end.

But in anycase, here it is:

https://i.imgur.com/8cAfMi1.png

The purpose of this wiki is to provide an easy to read and access point for all player faction information. Going along the theme that a lot of things in Elite are hidden, I've specifically for player minor factions who want to showcase about what their faction is about, how many systems they control, which stations they've managed but most importantly what they're about.

Why do I care?

Beyond a name or a government type, we know next to nothing about these player minor factions and who run them. This will be a way for them to showcase who they are, How to contact them, (I know you powerplay folks would love that) and what's their lore and story.

Who can add their Player Minor Faction?
Anyone can! Requirements have been updated as of 06/12/2017. There are 2 requirements:

• You must own or has owned at least 3 systems, or be situated in Colonia or Quince.
  • If your faction is an official faction, add a reference on your minor faction page from the player faction thread that says that your faction has been added to the game.

Why can't I just add a page to the Elite:Dangerous Wikia?
Elite Dangerous Wikia has some very strict rules on which factions can be allowed on the wiki. That being you must have a GalNet article or some official mention by Frontier to be allowed. I think these restrictions are too restrictive and not useful for the community at large so I made one that did what I wanted to see.

Why isn't Inara.cz or Eddb.io enough?
Inara.cz for factions is meant to be an operations and organzations system. you get missions, and discussions with your factions. most information is private except a short description.
eddb.io has information on systems, planets, minor faction influence and stats, but there's nothing about the spirit of the faction. It doesn't answer the question, What is this faction about? What have they done? What's their reputation like?

A wiki format allows us to collectively archive our lore. our triumphs and failure. Our conflicts and alliances. It allows us to showcase what it is that makes our factions great. Not just the many systems we control but the culture we encourage.

How do I start?

This should make it easier to make new pages so here are new instruction.
  1. In the top right, click the new page button.
  2. Enter the name of your faction or system.
  3. When the editor loads, click the drop down menu next to cancel and select source editor.
  4. type {{subst:PlayerGroup}}
  5. Publish the page
  6. edit the page again and start filling in the data.
https://i.imgur.com/SKICkzN.png

I need help making a template for this to make it easier. sigh~ (any takers?)

Anyways, That's where you come in!

If you have a player faction that meets the criteria, you can start adding your faction today!

See you there! :)
Updates
Added new top bar navigation
Added system, playergroup and station template
Added a bunch of areas for folks to add information on the BGS. http://elite-factions.wikia.com/wiki...und_Simulation

Requirements have been updated as of 06/12/2017. There are 2 requirements:

• Owns or has owned at least 3 systems, or be situated in Colonia or Quince.

Wow awesome!
+1 rep!

Very cool. This is the kind of thing, if supported in future updates etc, that could really push the game to the next level. Player-driven content makes a game into a living being...

Why are factions present in less than three system not allowed? Feels like discrimination to me

This is an activity threshold. To ensure the factions who are added to the wiki are those that indeed active. I believe by showing you can expand your faction twice, you're in control of it and know what you're doing. According to eddb.io there are...
Olivia Vespera said:
there are 812 Player minor factions.
435 have control of at least 1 system.
257 have control of at least 2 systems
196 have control of at least 3 systems...

Nearly half of the factions in game have not gained control of their home system.
Most of them are derelict for one reason or another.
I don't want the wiki to contain factions that aren't active, just the ones that have left their mark on the galaxy.
So yes. It is a discrimination. But I think its discrimination for a positive reason that the wiki is better for having.​

If you believe that your faction is particularly special and should be exempt from this, let me know! :D I'm sure there are factions that just simply standout as being unique. (that's why Quince is exempted from the 3 system control rule)

You never fail to deliver on an impressive community experience, Olivia. Thank you!

Remember that Squadrons is coming at the end of next year and as such, there are plans for a Focused Feedback session on the forums (and streams) with Sandro. This could be something that's brought up as an addition to the overall set of tools included within the Squadron system :)

Thank you ^^ How do you mean this? As an in game browser to the one I set up? or having the wiki hosted by frontier and moving all info over? Or do you mean a more rigid faction profile and search system? (Perhaps as part of the codex system?)

Wow awesome!
+1 rep!
Very cool. This is the kind of thing, if supported in future updates etc, that could really push the game to the next level. Player-driven content makes a game into a living being...

Thank you! Do you have a faction or know of any factions that aren't on it? Let them know about it. (Always be aware that this thing is optional.)

Last edited:
Hey guys I'd just like to let you folks know that I'm still here, and working on it. Just been busy with Fleet Operations stuff and thargoids.

There are now 19 factions on the Wiki!

here are a list of them.

Communist Interstellar Union
Dark Echo
First Contact Defence Initiative
First Imperial Fleet
Friends of Varramool
Future of Udegoci
LHS 2541 Alliance Combine
LTT 4772 Alliance Mandate
Order of Enblackenment
Pauline's People's Party
Perez Ring Brewery
Praetorian Curiate Assembly
The Ancients of Mumu
The Kuun-Lan
The Winged Hussars
Ukraine Colonist Alliance
Wolf 406 Transport & Co
Wolves Of Jonai

Will talk more about the state of the wiki when I have a free time.

Hey guys I'd just like to let you folks know that I'm still here, and working on it. Just been busy with Fleet Operations stuff and thargoids.

There are now 19 factions on the Wiki!

here are a list of them.

Communist Interstellar Union
Dark Echo
First Contact Defence Initiative
First Imperial Fleet
Friends of Varramool
Future of Udegoci
LHS 2541 Alliance Combine
LTT 4772 Alliance Mandate
Order of Enblackenment
Pauline's People's Party
Perez Ring Brewery
Praetorian Curiate Assembly
The Ancients of Mumu
The Kuun-Lan
The Winged Hussars
Ukraine Colonist Alliance
Wolf 406 Transport & Co
Wolves Of Jonai

Will talk more about the state of the wiki when I have a free time.

Thanks for setting this all up Olivia.

-and make that 21! Teaka Elite Altruists Bagging Cooperative has been added with a starter page. Will add some more stuff as it comes in off the teabagging press.

Hey folks I've got a new idea of things we could add to our faction page. mission giver profile images

Here's a short example:
8ikywL5.png

i'd upload how this will be shown on the page, but imgur is kinda borked for me.

basically it's a new header with a gallery of images. you can add captions to an image in a gallery by writing a | after the file name.

e.g.

Missiongiver1.png|Lord Cornelius Rex
Missiongiver2.png|Knight Arnold Constance

see Order of Enblackenment page's source for working example.

Last edited:
Hey folks I've got a new idea of things we could add to our faction page. mission giver profile images

Here's a short example:
https://i.imgur.com/8ikywL5.png

i'd upload how this will be shown on the page, but imgur is kinda borked for me.

basically it's a new header with a gallery of images. you can add captions to an image in a gallery by writing a | after the file name.

e.g.

Missiongiver1.png|Lord Cornelius Rex
Missiongiver2.png|Knight Arnold Constance

see Order of Enblackenment page's source for working example.

I *used* to do this for my group's old page. See the "who's who". There's two really difficult things though...

- FD keep changing the portraits. And, off topic, I think they've been getting worse over time :( ; and
- Getting the portrait for the "hostile" agent means, well, getting hostile. It's risky but doable.

Just to compare the people..

The very first iteration of portraits:
yTYyfhe.png

am8MbLc.png

FrOZ7UN.png

rMbqBvq.png

Compard to newer portraits (taken in beta)
F0L19aU.png

Fk93vl0.png

EGpa7kg.png

YA9434o.png

Despite all that, I'll be gathering them :)

PS. Don't forget to get the Passenger Mission givers too. They're different :)

EDIT: So the portraits got another update at some point and they look a bit better since those beta shots. Still don't think they're as good, but for comparing oranges to oranges
Initial
yTYyfhe.png

Last Beta
F0L19aU.png

Current
06f61Sv.png

Last edited:
I *used* to do this for my group's old page. See the "who's who". There's two really difficult things though...

- FD keep changing the portraits. And, off topic, I think they've been getting worse over time :( ; and
- Getting the portrait for the "hostile" agent means, well, getting hostile. It's risky but doable.

Just to compare the people..

The very first iteration of portraits:

Compard to newer portraits (taken in beta)

Despite all that, I'll be gathering them :)

PS. Don't forget to get the Passenger Mission givers too. They're different :)

EDIT: So the portraits got another update at some point and they look a bit better since those beta shots. Still don't think they're as good, but for comparing oranges to oranges

Wow! :eek: Okay. I mean they're recognizeable as the same people from old to new images. shame about some of the differences.
At the very least they look the same and have the same name.

Wow! :eek: Okay. I mean they're recognizeable as the same people from old to new images. shame about some of the differences.
At the very least they look the same and have the same name.

Oh yeah... my faction came out relatively unscathed compared to some....

Original Leader
WUM6jXw.png

Current Leader
XCPGz1e.png

Top Bottom