Ok, I'll ask. When is a dropship not a dropship?

Not sure why they went for a Vulture for the combat zone dropship instead of the actual Dropship in the game. Unless they wanted to go for something faction-neutral?

Pity, it'd be kinda cool if each squad deployed in a ship specific to the faction's alignment: dropships for Federation factions, Clipper for Imperial factions, Challenger for Alliance factions, anything for independent factions. If the players pick a faction after they arrive, that's obviously not an option I guess!

Though (realism hat on) it's a bit funny someone will recruit and fly you into a combat zone without asking which side you'll be fighting for!

My guess is, the Vulture has the right size for it, and is small enough to fit all landing pads on the planetary sites.
But yeah, you should sign up for the faction before entering a faction related dropship.

With the FDS however, i'd expect not only dropping infantry, but also mechanised troops in one swoop.
Same with the Alliance Crusader or another medium sized imperial ship that'd fit the role.
Neutrals could employ pythons, or better even: Keelbacks.

I'm hoping we'll get a new module i.e. a 'grunt rack', which would make use of the SRV bay doors presumably - since every ship has that option you could even make a Sidewinder a dropship:p

My guess is, the Vulture has the right size for it, and is small enough to fit all landing pads on the planetary sites.
But yeah, you should sign up for the faction before entering a faction related dropship.

With the FDS however, i'd expect not only dropping infantry, but also mechanised troops in one swoop.
Same with the Alliance Crusader or another medium sized imperial ship that'd fit the role.
Neutrals could employ pythons, or better even: Keelbacks.
Hell yes, give a pimped out merc Keelback like the plane of the Expendables :D

I'm hoping we'll get a new module i.e. a 'grunt rack', which would make use of the SRV bay doors presumably - since every ship has that option you could even make a Sidewinder a dropship:p
Sounds great, though I doubt if they'd let us ferry other Cmdrs, since the dropship serves as the respawn point in case of death (I think!!) Once we ferried anyone in we'd have to stay here for the duration, or someone would get a nasty surprise on death...

Economy class passenger cabin. Now give us missions to ferry in troops and animate them leaving the ship and take over a settlement... :D

Sounds great, though I doubt if they'd let us ferry other Cmdrs, since the dropship serves as the respawn point in case of death (I think!!) Once we ferried anyone in we'd have to stay here for the duration, or someone would get a nasty surprise on death...
Based on what we were told before, i would actually expect us to be able to use the ship exactly like that: as mobile spawnpoint.

More than once during their announcements and videos they stated that people would respawn on the ship. They did not clarify if it was the own ship or the last ship they were on board. Either is quite plausible to me, based on the mechanics we already know. (We might know more this evening, people are just downloading the new phase of the alpha, were you now can also use ships. )

Considering that ground troops are supposed to have weapons which can do substantial damage to spaceships (whatever that means, it's also something we still have to find out), there must be a reason why they'd want to remove a spaceship. The ship being a spawn point would be an excellent reason. Again: we might know more later, when people have patched and the test servers are up again.

Last edited:
Economy class passenger cabin. Now give us missions to ferry in troops and animate them leaving the ship and take over a settlement... :D
Fair enough, suppose we don't really need yet another module type, especially since the chances of filling them up with real CMDRs will be pretty slim! Refurbishing/expanding on the existing ones is a better idea.

Fair enough, suppose we don't really need yet another module type, especially since the chances of filling them up with real CMDRs will be pretty slim! Refurbishing/expanding on the existing ones is a better idea.

I already wanted that with Horizon and more than once even suggested it: a mission where you have to carry a squadron of marines. The mission would actually be a chain of objectives, like destroying the turrets, setting down at a certain position near the settlement for a limited time (till the game tells you that the marines have left the ship), then destroying the power plant or some other structure on the base, etc...

It never happened, of course, and after a few years i stopped to bring up the suggestion once a while. I'd still love to have something like that, but i don't think it'll ever happen.

Not sure why so many people are utterly dismayed and have their world completely shattered that the Federal Dropship isnt being used as the only "Dropship" in the game.

I think you’re in the copilot seat for the trip (for the view?) then are zapped to the hold.
Yep - but, as others have said, wouldn't the hold with the other troops make more sense? Anyway, finished my first combat zone, with victory to our troops - and all my comrades-in-arms then turned and shot me. Thanks guys.

Yep, that is another horrible transition. Didn't they think of that before... oh wait... we are talking about Elite.
And even worse is when you get the dropship back... considering it's a game where there's a lot of waiting & travelling, it's odd that here's one place where you're suddenly yoinked off the planet and stuck into a seat. Feels very Alien Abductiony.

It may be because the dropship is a federation ship. The Vulture isn't tied to any allegiance?

Would be good in the future to be dropped off by the dropship in CZs when fighting for Federation.

Top Bottom