OK, So Frontier Really, Really, Doesn't Want Me To Mine For A Fleet Carrier...

First, I've noticed that the number of rocks with cores have dwindled. Former pristine spots in and around Colonia are not yielding what they were.

So, I switched my loadout for some weapons, and extra defense. Good call.

Because, I'm getting mobbed by groups of 3-4 engineered NPC's, even when there is allied security around.

3 engineered Eagles can put a hurt on you. Last bunch I shot down, but not after taking damage, and losing cargo. Only went down to 93% hull, but I lost enough to call it a day.

Yes, I am armored, shielded, armed, and engineered, thank you very much. In a Python. Killed all three of my last assailants. Didn't matter. There was enough module damage to make continuing risky. Module sniping.

Two or three will shoot, while the other makes with the hatchbreakers. My point defense shot down some of them. Never go anywhere without point defense.

I think Frontier might be trying to turn off the money faucet, before December. If I mine for materials only, it gets the stuff, but makes no money.

Mission running now seems to be the way to play. An armed trader stands a better chance than a mining ship. Or, a combat Krait 2, with fighter. I have one now, and it's finally fully engineered. I was mining, because the engineering drained money and materials.

Any bets on if this is on purpose?

First, I've noticed that the number of rocks with cores have dwindled. Former pristine spots in and around Colonia are not yielding what they were.
As far as I know - this was noted many times before by others and this is also my experience - core asteroid numbers aren't based on ring resource level (or whatever it's called). Whether pristine or depleted it doesn't matter.
Hotspot means that core asteroids are more likely to be of that hotspot kind.

Core asteroids are persistent though, and they respawn every few days - so if many cmndrs mine the same hotspot, you might find fewer core asteroids there.

As far as I know - this was noted many times before by others and this is also my experience - core asteroid numbers aren't based on ring resource level (or whatever it's called). Whether pristine or depleted it doesn't matter.
Hotspot means that core asteroids are more likely to be of that hotspot kind.

Core asteroids are persistent though, and they respawn every few days - so if many cmndrs mine the same hotspot, you might find fewer core asteroids there.
Overmining, perhaps?

I'm in an engineered Krait with G5 thruster, very zippy with no weapons and tissue paper shields, I boost 3 times and they are gone. After the first encounter I always wait for a second one then do the same thing and that'll be it. I never see them appear for a third time. Always works so far.

And the yield varies. If been in HIP 63032 (2nd planet) for ages. Very stable, massive thick icy rings with a lot of opals, until yesterday, 2 runs and almost nothing. So switched to another system and found some pretty good roids again. Its a bit like fishing, kind of like it.

Last edited:
To deal with the pirates, you should use the technique that Bruce Lee demonstrated in Enter the Dragon: The art of fighting without fighting. In other words, don't shoot them. What do you gain by shooting them?

My experience with pirates has always been (unless you're in a resource site) that they spawn when you first drop into the ring and then you don't get any more. So, I generally just motor over to them and let them scan my empty ship. Once they see that you're not carrying anything, they ignore you from that point on. I have yet to see any spawn later unless I do something to reset the instance I'm in.

Do the mining in a Krait Mk2. You can still get 144t cargo and still have a 5d hangar.
I always smack everything that gets in my ring - mining in an Anarchy has its perks

otherwise, just boost and dont fight

I've had no issues mining with a krait mk 2 in a low reserve opal hotspot. Just concentrate on the mining, If a pirate jumps in just give them what they want or boost until your clear.

Last edited:
Interesting. Didn't think they actually would make core mining persistent.

I think Frontier might be trying to turn off the money faucet, before December. If I mine for materials only, it gets the stuff, but makes no money.
Could be, but I've seen the pattern with Frontier that each big update tends to have some new money-scheme that pays better than anything else.

Mission running now seems to be the way to play. An armed trader stands a better chance than a mining ship. Or, a combat Krait 2, with fighter. I have one now, and it's finally fully engineered. I was mining, because the engineering drained money and materials.
I've been doing trade missions on my alt-account since the last update, and actually you can make decent money. Not at first, since you have to gain reputation to get the high paying missions, and it's probably not as quick as some other methods, but now with the supercruise assistant and advance docking computer, it's very relaxing (except for the occasional NPC pirates).

Any bets on if this is on purpose?
Could very well be. Wouldn't surprise me.

Top Bottom