OK ... This is now a problem

I even came across a fleet carrier on my way home last night, pesky infestation.

Attachments

• 7663C3A4-FC1A-4843-8BE2-0C844D73A11E.jpeg
    7663C3A4-FC1A-4843-8BE2-0C844D73A11E.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 216
I logged on for a total of about 25 mins yesterday evening on Xbox and was kicked out 3 times and everything was slow. Even landing at a station, my ship would pause for ages before doing that thing where it settles into the right position (after you've docked) and before it would let me press the refuel button.

The ARX were taking an age to update once I was kicked to the main menu as well. Admittedly my internet connection is awful but the game was managing fine before last night.

I wonder if Tuesday's patch will address this.

It's not a router problem, I think we can all agree on that, it's something to do with server side limitations on data or bandwith or how the code is written for consoles when traffic surges. Clearly fdev did not calculate this happening with the introduction of FC's and now a bunch of us are stuck in space unable to even jump to a new system.

If you care about this problem, upvote it here so we maybe can get some attention from fdev: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/17988

And to all the snarky commenters that hate on LTD miners rubbing their hands together gloating - think again, next time a game breaking bug will show that may affect YOUR style of play or like me you'll simply get unlucky and caught in the middle. Blaming the players for errors with game code is just needless and silly.

IIRC FD introduced some networking compression code in one of the pre-carriers patches.
I wonder if they did it on PC only - and consoles are really struggling now in carrier heavy systems.

That's an interesting question indeed and it might explain the differences between the platforms (to a certain extent), but there must be more to it than that since there are problems on PC as well.

Xbox peasant here. I've been sat with a 'vette full of LTDs for days now, unable to sell them at any carrier I've landed at due to the sell bug. Today I have only managed to get into the game once after about half an hour of trying, only to be immediately kicked out with a mauve adder as soon as I tried to get into supercruise.

I don't really feel the game is playable in this state and I certainly am not prepared to let myself become stressed by putting in any more effort trying to do something that isn't working, so I'm going to vote with my feet and go do something else at least until next week's patch drops.

That's an interesting question indeed and it might explain the differences between the platforms (to a certain extent), but there must be more to it than that since there are problems on PC as well.

Last night XB was unplayable. Took minutes to log in followed by Mauve Adder.
I did managed to play for like an hour - late in the night - but even then there were some really long supercruise transitions and some long (20-30s or more) freezes in normal play, that is in Carrier management screen or simply in flight

While PC was perfectly playable (no colored snakes at all) I did had the same freezes, but on PC they lasted 3-5 seconds.

Hence me thinking they did some netcode optimization on PC but not on Consoles.

It might be time for FDev to rollback on some of the decisions they made, and it would seem that making the Fleet Carrier a 'perma object' is one of those things that just ain't working out as thought... I didn't say as planned because it's pretty clear to me that the Fleet Carrier was intended to be used 'vary' sparingly as a support vessel for Squadrons, though that plan changed to give the masses 'something' 'anything' to keep em quiet for the relatively 'barren' two years they've had, and it seems to have caused more trouble than it was worth.
What should happen?

It might upset a few players but sometimes there's too much shell in too many fried egg sandwichs and you have to lob them out and make another batch.

If FDev had have made the Carrier a 'ship' it could have served more players virtually trouble free, we don't need floating markets and sales depots, we don't need extra ways to make money either... we did 'need' a scaled credit sink and that was easily fixed... Pay your Bl**dy TAX, and berthing/storage fees.

Last night XB was unplayable. Took minutes to log in followed by Mauve Adder.
I did managed to play for like an hour - late in the night - but even then there were some really long supercruise transitions and some long (20-30s or more) freezes in normal play, that is in Carrier management screen or simply in flight

While PC was perfectly playable (no colored snakes at all) I did had the same freezes, but on PC they lasted 3-5 seconds.

Hence me thinking they did some netcode optimization on PC but not on Consoles.

Although I don't own a carrier or trade in popular commodities, (LTDs and so on) I am on PS4, my home system is Colonia which is rammed with carriers, including 4 decommissioned ones, I have had no log in issues for months. I log in, I float around, I'm done.

It appears to me to be somehow linked to the activity of the CMDR. Most people having troubles are on consoles, mainly X-Bone, but all appear to be trying to buy/sell LTD's (or similar) in bulk in Carrier heavy stations. I can be in a Carrier heavy station, not be trading and have no issues. I'm not seeing many people say they are in a similar position to me (non carrier owners, non-trading) saying they are getting these Adder issues.

Watch them all roll in now, obvs.

Although I don't own a carrier or trade in popular commodities, (LTDs and so on) I am on PS4, my home system is Colonia which is rammed with carriers, including 4 decommissioned ones, I have had no log in issues for months. I log in, I float around, I'm done.

It appears to me to be somehow linked to the activity of the CMDR. Most people having troubles are on consoles, mainly X-Bone, but all appear to be trying to buy/sell LTD's (or similar) in bulk in Carrier heavy stations. I can be in a Carrier heavy station, not be trading and have no issues. I'm not seeing many people say they are in a similar position to me (non carrier owners, non-trading) saying they are getting these Adder issues.

Watch them all roll in now, obvs.

Not sure how many carriers were in your home system in colonia, but the problem appear in systems that are packed (no slots available) with carriers: last night i had troubles in NewBorann (after more than 1.5h of retries i managed to jump out of that system) and Areklici - LTD sale system.

I also had troubles in a system nearby Areklici that was also fully packed with carriers.

So while it may also be related with activity, it certainly is related with the max number of carriers in the said systems.

The cap it seems is a hard coded 255 units in system... including Stars Planets and Stations, that in itself is enough of a shortsighted problem.

Now, if Fleet Carriers were Ships it would be different.
Probably!
I disagree. At the time it was made it was probably fair cap. You can only say that it is no longer a reasonable cap but then the needs of the system have changed dramatically over the years.

Hindsight is alway 20-20.

Not sure how many carriers were in your home system in colonia, but the problem appear in systems that are packed (no slots available) with carriers: last night i had troubles in NewBorann (after more than 1.5h of retries i managed to jump out of that system) and Areklici - LTD sale system.

I also had troubles in a system nearby Areklici that was also fully packed with carriers.

So while it may also be related with activity, it certainly is related with the max number of carriers in the said systems.

There are around 30-40 carriers in Colonia. I'm pretty sure it is maxed out. It is the main system in that region, yet I can log in and out with no issues. If I could zip over to NewBorann myself, being a non carrier owner, not trading in LTD's, just maybe go and map a small planet, I could probably give this more weight, but I'm not close enough. Perhaps someone else can?

It might be time for FDev to rollback on some of the decisions they made, and it would seem that making the Fleet Carrier a 'perma object' is one of those things that just ain't working out as thought... I didn't say as planned because it's pretty clear to me that the Fleet Carrier was intended to be used 'vary' sparingly as a support vessel for Squadrons, though that plan changed to give the masses 'something' 'anything' to keep em quiet for the relatively 'barren' two years they've had, and it seems to have caused more trouble than it was worth.
What should happen?

It might upset a few players but sometimes there's too much shell in too many fried egg sandwichs and you have to lob them out and make another batch.

If FDev had have made the Carrier a 'ship' it could have served more players virtually trouble free, we don't need floating markets and sales depots, we don't need extra ways to make money either... we did 'need' a scaled credit sink and that was easily fixed... Pay your Bl**dy TAX, and berthing/storage fees.
As I understand it, fleet carriers are orbital stations with some additional features. The stations are persistent, then so are fleet carriers. Since FCs share most of the same characteristics as stations it makes sense to reuse the code. Perfectly acceptable code reuse.

I'd say that the introduction of fleet carriers into a system that is not currently optimised for their existence has caused a number of problems and we may well find that after tuning up the system and rewriting those area of the code that are causing bottlenecks and other such like problems, the issues being experienced by some commanders will go away.

I think it is fair to say that making such suggestions as you have is a little premature right now.

I'm sorry but to people getting these errors it is probably a problem on your side. I have yet to experience an error after the fleet carrier update, and I regularly travel between systems that have the maximum amount of carriers and daily traffic in the tens of thousands.

I'm sorry but to people getting these errors it is probably a problem on your side. I have yet to experience an error after the fleet carrier update, and I regularly travel between systems that have the maximum amount of carriers and daily traffic in the tens of thousands.

Are you on a console or PC? And have you visited New Borann and Areklici - specifically in the last 24 hrs?

Top Bottom