On a more serious note: please don't gank brand new players coming out of the station

Actual piracy gameplay would be fun, fwiw. I would enjoy having to join say, a mining cartel that has an agreement with a strong pirate cartel where rather than random interdictions and attacks instead the two just have an arrangement and a monthly payment of some sort. Protection money. In exchange the miners get dedicated PvPers who troll the zones looking for unaffiliated pirates to destroy and unaffiliated miners to coerce into joining the mining cartel.

Those are the kinds of theoretical interactions that draw me to these types of games. The trouble is, in practice, the pro-piracy side isn't motivated by those types of in game interactions. There's not enough salt and tears there to make it fun for them.

This thread sure does have legs.

Just leave new players alone. New players are great. They're full of wonder and excitement, they're eager to do new things and go new places and try new stuff. Having a new player follow you carefully out of the station to go on their first RES hunt is cool.

Anyone who's aiming at new players for target practice isn't going to stop because of a thread like this. They knew they were ruining the fun for others, that was the point of doing it in the first place.

Nobody's going to bash a bunch of newbies and turn around like "Wait, am I being a jerk? I never knew!"

1. Ermergency calls from squadmembers who are no PvP'ers. They call the system and the Commander! We'll hunt him down.
2. Commanders who have a REALLY high bounty on their heads. The EDMC-Plugin "EDR" is very helpful to sort them out.
3. Those who make the mistake interdicting me.
4. Those who interdict a Loner (like me) with a Wing.
5. Reports of my other PvP-squad-mates.
6. some other recources like various Discord channels for example.
Fair enough.

I use the old 84 method. A pencil, a pad and I make a list, of those encounters in the past. When I get into my Clipper, (edit, sorry cutter) which is meant to be by the end of this decade, (11 months away now), I'll un-block them and wait.

Last edited:
I hate to bring another game's mechanics into this discussion, but I was a pirate for years in EVE, and our goal was ransoms. Disable, calculate total value of ship (in Elite this would be rebuy plus cargo), request payment of % of total value, release target when paid. It was wonderful fun finding and taxing people for the privilege of continuing to exist, and it lead to some incredibly funny negotiations with mission runners we ended up becoming friends with.
In my Rattlesnake, I would micro jump, putting an extra 100km between us. Hit the cloak. Then fly back within my own targeting range 260km, uncloak and send out a bank of well trained missiles. I could mostly keep to an orbit, that was just out of their own targeting range. I also had drones, that would work at 180km, to intercept anything else, getting too close. Given time, I could ware down any thing. Then EVE nurfed my ship.

I think the Cobra is a poor example, as that is one of my safest Open ships (A-rated and G5'd though), while still retaining utility it achieves 600m/s boost, combined with the pancake shape and some chaff, ECM, or heat sinks fitted it's pretty easy to escape if you don't fly in a straight line. Clipper I don't fly so can't comment but those are slightly faster even I believe.

To answer your question, no you cannot replenish lost mission cargo (it states that in the description), but in the grand scheme of things, unless you're slowly building up rep and credits via mission running, it doesn't really matter if you have to abandon the odd mission - I value the rush of a proper PvP encounter much higher than a few million credits you can make back within minutes.
My 'proper' PvP encounter, especially in my Cobra is too escape. Even more so against, a Fed ship, full of PAs etc.. As I have stated before, I have never won at PvP combat, I am rubbish at combat against humans. I don't find it fun at all, quite the opposite.

Deleted member 182079

D
My 'proper' PvP encounter, especially in my Cobra is too escape. Even more so against, a Fed ship, full of PAs etc.. As I have stated before, I have never won at PvP combat, I am rubbish at combat against humans. I don't find it fun at all, quite the opposite.
When I say 'proper', I mean one where comms are used in a meaningful and reasonable way, not necessarily the 'interdict-open fire' approach one, even though I fully understand why players do that.

Fwiw, I've also never exploded another player's ship, let alone win against a PvPer. A successful escape is good enough for me, although I do sometimes feel tempted to lean into more offensive combat - but that usually turns out to be either poorly balanced (I dislike running pure PvP builds so am usually at a disadvantage from the get go), or just plain tedious (reverski Phantoms with LR rails and the like, shield tank FdLs/Cutters, or endless jousting).

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough.

I use the old 84 method. A pencil, a pad and I make a list, of those encounters in the past. When I get into my Clipper, whic is meant to be by the end of this decade, (11 months away now), I'll un-block them and wait.
I really don't want to discourage you, but a nice ship won't help you for being ganked. As much I don't want to qoute the ganker's mantra "gid gud", it's simply the truth. One has to be good and well experienced operating a ship before one can even think about to play im their league. Okay, most of them are only mediocre to stay polite, but many are experienced pvpers who only got bored.
But nevertheless...I wish you godspeed and a solid aiming.🤘

If you managed to escape then you actually HAVE won. Gratulations!👏

I was told about Mobius, but my only exposure to that community so far has been your posts, which are alarmingly condescending. You're an ambassador of sorts for this community, yes? And the pitch is "If you're not with Mobius, you're filth"? This is a rather odd approach. You might want to tone it down.

Anyway, on topic...
Tone what down? You're taking things a bit personal don't you think? Also appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth. I never indicated PvP enthusiasts were sociopaths. Because there is a difference between a ganker and PvP gamer. Which of course, is something you are completely aware of, right? OK. So what I explicitly said (and was implying) was there are players who are socially challenged morons in this game. And 100% of them hang out in Open, because no official restrictions on the worst of predatory player behaviors exist there. So you're the one coming across as presumptuous here. Particularly since that post was intended for someone else (not you) so there really wasn't a need to insert yourself with this snide, off topic reply. Especially since it was clear you were completely ignorant said PG existed from your original post in this thread. And said ignorance ruined your friend's gaming experience. :rolleyes:

Regardless, it's your (and their) prerogative to join or not. I don't care either way. I'm just letting those players who aren't aware know they have a PG option. Because there isn't an automatic invite to any PGs when you're attempting to log into the game for the first time. So unless you have/know friends who sent you an invite to their group, then your only options are Solo and Open. Period.

Tone what down? You're taking things a bit personal don't you think? Also appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth. I never indicated PvP enthusiasts were sociopaths. Because there is a difference between a ganker and PvP gamer. Which of course, is something you are completely aware of, right? OK. So what I explicitly said (and was implying) was there are players who are socially challenged morons in this game. And 100% of them hang out in Open, because no official restrictions on the worst of predatory player behaviors exist there. So you're the one coming across as presumptuous here. Particularly since that post was intended for someone else (not you) so there really wasn't a need to insert yourself with this snide, off topic reply. Especially since it was clear you were completely ignorant said PG existed from your original post in this thread. And said ignorance ruined your friend's gaming experience. :rolleyes:

Regardless, it's your (and their) prerogative to join or not. I don't care either way. I'm just letting those players who aren't aware know they have a PG option. Because there isn't an automatic invite to any PGs when you're attempting to log into the game for the first time. So unless you have/know friends who sent you an invite to their group, then your only options are Solo and Open. Period.
First of all, the comment about them not being sociopaths was a reply to another post. Clearly.

Second of all, there is no need to be defensive. I offered you constructive criticism of your message, in which you came across as more than a bit condescending, and you seem to have upped the ante even further with this response. You use language like "other civilized players (like myself)", which is a hard sell, because the implication there is that only the unwashed masses would choose not be on Mobius. I'm not being presumptuous, I'm imparting to you that the impression you give me is a bit snobbish and abrasive. Furthermore, I don't see where I talked about my "friend" or his ruined "experience", because I never said anything even remotely like that. You seem to be confusing my post for someone else's.

As for staying on topic, I believe it is you who has used this thread as an opportunity to plug your PG. I appreciate that you feel strongly about your community, but I think I'll stick with the "socially challenged morons", thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, one's a book from 30 years ago and the other's a video game that released a pretty sizeable patch literally last week.

You're right mein general, the concept of feodal warfare in space has been a common sci fi trope from Dune to Warhammer 40k.

Meanwhile a plane in space game where you cant really make anything larger than a python explodes nor approach a blackhole too close had a "sizeable patch". The largest we got this year, dare I say.

You're right mein general, the concept of feodal warfare in space has been a common sci fi trope from Dune to Warhammer 40k.

Meanwhile a plane in space game where you cant really make anything larger than a python explodes nor approach a blackhole too close had a "sizeable patch". The largest we got this year, dare I say.
I hope you weren't trying to make a point in that jumble.

But he got out alive. It's something. The first step in "giddin' gud". Many can't even escape properly. Instead they're playing sitting duck and complaining on the forums.
There is a minimum amount of survivability needed to escape such encounters, which is inversely proportionate to how skilled the player is. A newer player can escape, but one of the cheaper ships would be sorely pressed to do so against a dedicated gank ship.

Top Bottom