One of those "The chieftain is awesome" threads

I just love the Chieftain. It is a pure subjective view and it is mostly because I don't like the federal ships. But for the first time since launch I am excited about a new ship.
It looks good, comes "cheap" and has fine stats. I even like the landing gear. If only the canopy-window wouldn't be so scratchy...:D

So, yeah, thanks Frontier for bestowing me another few hours of joy in your great game.

Fly safe and o7

I just love the Chieftain. It is a pure subjective view and it is mostly because I don't like the federal ships. But for the first time since launch I am excited about a new ship.
It looks good, comes "cheap" and has fine stats. I even like the landing gear. If only the canopy-window wouldn't be so scratchy...:D

So, yeah, thanks Frontier for bestowing me another few hours of joy in your great game.

Fly safe and o7

I'm very keen on the Chieftain.. I just... can't figure out what to DO with it.

It's fun to fly - extremely maneuverable.
It doesn't have a great jump range, but it isn't terrible either.
The hardpoint placement and convergence is good.
The view is nice.
But... there just seems to be a lack of anything that makes me go: "You know what ship would be perfect for this? The Chieftain!"

I know what it needs that would make it exceptional, and it's actually something very simple:

One more Not-Locked Class 2 Internal Slot.

Yep, just a mere class 2 slot would make this a remarkable ship. Right now, it's barely markable, let alone remarkable.

I get it, it was built to be a combat ship - hence all the Class 4 (3) Military Slots. But it still manages to come up a bit lacking.

I've been driving mine around and feel that it has no right being able to move as well as it does. I can boost at 1km near the slot up to 510m/s and still zip right in no problem. It's only downside is the slightly wimpy shield and the fact that it is easily the ugliest ship in the game.

Like seriously, it looked ugly in the screenshots but the reality is much, much worse. It's a squatting hunchback that takes a dump on every planet it lands on...

I've been driving mine around and feel that it has no right being able to move as well as it does. I can boost at 1km near the slot up to 510m/s and still zip right in no problem. It's only downside is the slightly wimpy shield and the fact that it is easily the ugliest ship in the game.

Like seriously, it looked ugly in the screenshots but the reality is much, much worse. It's a squatting hunchback that takes a dump on every planet it lands on...

Share the Chieftain Love:

Screenshot_0264.png

It really is a great pve ship. 2 large PAs and 3 small railguns is epic. Do what you want with the medium slot.

I hadn't even finished engineering it when I thought 'screw it' and jumped into a weapons fire detected threat 4 uss containing 4 vultures and a Cobra, my first surprise was when they opened fire immediately without warning, that woke me up, but after a few seconds I was pot shotting them left and right. 5 minutes or so later too many materials to pick up, 86% hull and a smug grin. I prefer it to the FAS simply because of the hardpoint locations.

Brilliant ship.

It really is a great pve ship. 2 large PAs and 3 small railguns is epic. Do what you want with the medium slot.

I hadn't even finished engineering it when I thought 'screw it' and jumped into a weapons fire detected threat 4 uss containing 4 vultures and a Cobra, my first surprise was when they opened fire immediately without warning, that woke me up, but after a few seconds I was pot shotting them left and right. 5 minutes or so later too many materials to pick up. I prefer it to the FAS simply because of the hardpoint locations.

Brilliant ship.

I stuck 3 PACs and 3 rail guns on mine and the poor thing melted. Certainly can't use focussed. I think I will switch to two large PACs, an imperial hammer with super pen and something fun for the triple smalls. Maybe shock cannons? One free coup de grace per mission sounds entertaining.

I have just finished Engineering my aChief up. At r2/r3 level of upgrading this thing is a beast. The c6 slot was just the right thing for it. I moved from my beloved FAS to the aChief without a backwards glance. Well done Lakon, and the guys at FD. From Beta 1 to release was direct line to my 'Wish List' combat ship. You will need dynamite to get me out of this thing.

The Chieftain seems like a superb ship to me.

Not sure if it has better DPS than an FdL but it's right up there as a ship-killer.

I'll definitely be using one as a 'goid-botherer and one as a regular combat/multirole and I'm thinking of using one as a mat's scavenger too.

It's only minor flaw is it's tank-range but it's got a decent jump-range and it's reasonable at scooping so that's not a huge problem.

Bought mine today. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. It's A-Rated but only lightly engineered thus far but is a hoot in the short time I have had it in the haz res. 2 large PA's (Efficient) and 4 rails (short range). I've not run it up against anything really big yet but so far it's made short work of everything from a Python down. It does run a bit hot though. Particularly if I am getting trigger happy.

Fly safe and o7

It’s growing on me. Actually no, it’s a keeper just decided.

Got 2 imperial hammers on there sturdy mount for the thermal benefits and super penertrator. Fires continuously and doesn’t boil the ship. The only thing is the square cockpit strut assembly looking straight on. Bothers me but I can live with it. Great in VR and when slowing down those boosters beside the cockpit fire big time. Yeah good.

Got it, love it. Even fully kitted with all A stuff and big ole multi cannons and a bunch of lasers, a warrant scanner, ADS etc a level 3 FSD mod makes it get about 25lr Jump range. Not bad. Hoping for a bit over 30 at grade five. I’ve been doing EVERYTHING with it. Cargo missions? Usually no problem it holds 65 tons. Wanna go to a rez or beacon? It tears is up. 25 ly Jump is good enough to mission hop etc. I like it a lot. Haven’t thought once about my Python or AspX since getting it. (I am guilty of the Asp in front of stuff trope lol.)

It's a perfect HazRes ship. The shields are not quite good enough ensuring that you hone your combat skills and not just face tank.

I haven't flown it yet as I've mostly been focusing on engineering my corvette, conda, python and fdl... all parked at jameson memorial though so I might as well take the plunge while I'm still there.

except the thought of engineering yet another ship makes me feel kinda sick lol

Last edited:
For sure. It’s not a jouster. Gotta make use of its speed an agility. Gotten pretty decent at non assisted flight so I can reasonably pull off the backwards tornado snake flight style. That usually messes with people when you’re flying away and you’re still hammering them :p

Lol true. At least it’s a bit easier now. Don’t have to gather a metric ton of rare materials and data and spend hours hoping for a god roll. At least now you can have a good idea of exactly what it’ll take to get there.

Rule 34 in the first week. Impressive.

First we had Asps In Front Of Things, now we shall have Chieftains Humping Stuff.

Before the first week actually - note the lower left - Beta 3.0.1

Now get to Chief Humping.

I hadn't even finished engineering it when I thought 'screw it' and jumped into a weapons fire detected threat 4 uss containing 4 vultures and a Cobra, my first surprise was when they opened fire immediately without warning, that woke me up, but after a few seconds I was pot shotting them left and right. 5 minutes or so later too many materials to pick up, 86% hull and a smug grin. I prefer it to the FAS simply because of the hardpoint locations.

Brilliant ship.

My first, nearly complete build has 1 Large Beam, 1 Large MC, 1 Medium Beam and 3 small MC's - I ran this same loadout in the beta and did enjoy squashing thargoid sprouts with it.

I would LOVE to be able to fit a cargo rack, shield generator, fuel scoop, both DSS and ADS along with a vehicle hanger, but it's missing that Class 2 Internal, then I could make a deep space work ship out of it. I am considering 2 Large APA's, a Medium MC and 3 Dumbfire missile racks to make a base raider out of it for all my Generator Powering Down Needs and Skimmer-popping good times.

For sure. It’s not a jouster. Gotta make use of its speed an agility. Gotten pretty decent at non assisted flight so I can reasonably pull off the backwards tornado snake flight style. That usually messes with people when you’re flying away and you’re still hammering them :p

Lol true. At least it’s a bit easier now. Don’t have to gather a metric ton of rare materials and data and spend hours hoping for a god roll. At least now you can have a good idea of exactly what it’ll take to get there.

Mine has over 3K hull hp, I can just point it at stuff and things explode.

I have a class 4 scoop, a generator and a ADS on mine along with a 64 ton bay, vehicle hanger, 4 Hull packages etc. also running a couple shield boosters, a Kws and point Defence. Big ole multi cannons, a fragrant cannon and some lasers. Seems to do okay like that for multi role. Will have some store modules for when I want to get specific at times.

Top Bottom