One thing is clear after Drew Wagar's event

The community craves group events and better group mechanics.

It was actually fascinating watching everyone organize in fleets and taking orders from their superiors. We were all just looking for a new thing to do, a new objective in the game, with other CMDRs, and not care about the dumb NPCs. For a few hours, the galaxy was completely alive and ours. Every system had a stupid amount of CMDRs in it, and they all had some sort of objective. I've personally never seen a Discord channel with voice rooms so packed before. I think every fleet had like 250 CMDRs in it.

I also really hope Frontier learns from this event and recognizes this game's limitations for something like this. This entire chase was only possible because some CMDRs had Salome on their friends list. It's also why SDC were able to pull their stunt, which I think made the book a lot more interesting, but I recognize that we got completely juked by them. Most people couldn't participate even if they wanted to, because they would always be 1-2 systems behind.

If Frontier ever plans on doing something like this, we really need better mechanics. For example, I think Sandro talked about a tracking limpet. That would be a really good start.

It was actually fascinating watching everyone organize in fleets and taking orders from their superiors. We were all just looking for a new thing to do, a new objective in the game, with other CMDRs, and not care about the dumb NPCs. For a few hours, the galaxy was completely alive and ours. Every system had a stupid amount of CMDRs in it, and they all had some sort of objective. I've personally never seen a Discord channel with voice rooms so packed before. I think every fleet had like 250 CMDRs in it.

I also really hope Frontier learns from this event and recognizes this game's limitations for something like this. This entire chase was only possible because some CMDRs had Salome on their friends list. It's also why SDC were able to pull their stunt, which I think made the book a lot more interesting, but I recognize that we got completely juked by them. Most people couldn't participate even if they wanted to, because they would always be 1-2 systems behind.

If Frontier ever plans on doing something like this, we really need better mechanics. For example, I think Sandro talked about a tracking limpet. That would be a really good start.

Nothing is more immersion breaking than saying "the target is here! Relog and see if we can get in the same instance!"

Events like this would be lovely but the games entire infrastructure would need changing to accommodate and that wont happen. Big events is not what ED was made for imho.

Last edited:
Disagree.

Empowering groups will lead to more and more issues where those not "in" are left out, which is exactly what yesterday demonstrated.

Player groups have their place but I do not want to see the game catering to the inevitable push for more and more "group powers".

All power to the independent CMDR.

Last edited:

The only that this is clear to me is that you are projecting your own preferences on the community so that you can justify your own preferred playstyle. You do not speak for me thank you very much.

Last edited:
Disagree.

Empowering groups will lead to more and more issues where those not "in" are left out, which is exactly what yesterday demonstrated.

Player groups have their place but I do not want to see the game catering to the inevitable push for more and more "group powers".

All power to the independent CMDR.

What happened yesterday was the defense trying to work around this game's limitations. The strategy of having people as interdictors and scouts was completely sound, because 90% of this event took place in Supercruise/Hyperspace. And for the most part we were able to tell really quick who's the bad guy and who's the good guys. We were harassing a lot of attackers so much that they had to drop in normal space and Hyperspace, because we were always pulling them in Supercruise.

And the fact that we were organized in fleets, in certain systems, following orders, made the event a lot better for everyone. If every CMDR followed Salome's trail it would've made traveling about 10 times worse, because let's be honest, everyone only cared about Salome. The fact that we were spread out along the waypoints of every character made instancing bareable.

Next time, people shouldn't just follow a group they disagree with and they should organize their own thing, but this time there wasn't really much time and it's impossible to do in-game.

Hi, Maybe it's not the proper topic, but I want ask how a standard pilot, not a member of any organisation/clan could have known how to paticipate in this event. I flew with my friend to 46 Eridani. We were there like 3 minutes after it supposed to start (because fo the server erreros). There were many CMRD's waiting for like an hour. How we could now where to fly or wait or anything? I think there should be more detailed info for this kind of event in the future.

"No, we want this!"
"No, we want that!"
"No, its this third thing everyone wants!"

I think yesterday demonstrated how diverse this community is. Some loved the chance to organise in fleets, others saw it as a reason to completely withdraw. Some saw an opportunity for roleplay infiltration and betrayal, others saw it as griefing. Some saw it as a example of how fun multiplay can be in Elite, some saw it as confirmation that PG/Solo is the way to go.

And as always, most saw it as definitive proof that, whatever their personal opinion already was, was now definitely proven true and shared by all. ;)

Last edited:
Hi, Maybe it's not the proper topic, but I want ask how a standard pilot, not a member of any organisation/clan could have known how to paticipate in this event. I flew with my friend to 46 Eridani. We were there like 3 minutes after it supposed to start (because fo the server erreros). There were many CMRD's waiting for like an hour. How we could now where to fly or wait or anything? I think there should be more detailed info for this kind of event in the future.

Honestly, you really couldn't. A lot of independent CMDRs were joining the Discord server and asked for a role. Most of them were given the role of interdictor or scout, which meant flying an unarmed iEagle or Imperial Courier, to harass the attackers as much as possible. And a few of them with properly engineered ships were validated for PvP, funnily by SDC themselves as well :)

If you didn't join the defense this way, in a fleet following orders, you really couldn't do much about it, because to follow Salome you need to have her on your friends list. And not everyone had that luxury. Hopefully Frontier takes note if they ever plan on organizing this type of event.

I'll say it again. Anyone who thinks that strategy, organisation and orders were in any way relevant to the outcome of this event are sadly deluded. And I mean that with no malice to those I speak of, it truly is not your fault.

"No, we want this!"
"No, we want that!"
"No, its this third thing everything wants!"

I think yesterday demonstrated how diverse this community is. Some loved the chance to organise in fleets, others saw it as a reason to completely withdraw. Some saw an opportunity for roleplay infiltration and betrayal, others saw it as griefing. Some saw it as a example of how fun multiplay can be in Elite, some saw it as confirmation that PG/Solo is the way to go.

And as always, most saw it as definitive proof that, whatever their personal opinion already was, was now definitely proven true and shared by all. ;)

Brilliant post.

Nice summation of a correct (IMHO) observation.

EDIT: Oh ninjaed by Spacebaboy.

Last edited:
"No, we want this!"
"No, we want that!"
"No, its this third thing everyone wants!"

Alright close the thread this post nailed it.

Currently the community has 100% no big group events happening. Last night being the first one really (on that sort of scale).

To have something like this once a month would be fantastic. People who aren't interested simply stay away from it, no harm done, those that are keen on it sign up and take part.

ONE thing is clear:

FD has no capability to host more than two or three sumultaneous players. FD has no capability to entertain more than three people at once. FD has no intention of delivering on kickstarter promises. This game is dead in the water, has been since 2015. I've been here since early 2015. It has not improved, it has deteriorated.

I feel a lot better about that $50 to CIG. Not $140 to FD who gave me virtually nothing back. Gee, THANKS for the "opportunity" to take part in an "event" that unlocks nothing in an inconsequential story about NOTHING. What a MASSIVE LETDOWN.

Last edited:
ONE thing is clear:

FD has no capability to host more than two or three sumultaneous players. FD has no capability to entertain more than three people at once. FD has no intention of delivering on kickstarter promises. This game is dead in the water, has been since 2015. I've been here since early 2015. It has not improved, it has deteriorated.

I feel a lot better about that $50 to CIG. Not $140 to FD who gave me virtually nothing back. Gee, THANKS for the "opportunity" to take part in an "event" that unlocks nothing in an inconsequential story about NOTHING. What a MASSIVE LETDOWN.

I think I just had a hyperbole overdose. Someone, quick, get me a $200 .jpg!

Top Bottom