Ontogeny?

Like i that Understand, that Means Animals Growing up Getting oler and have More stages until Adulthood? Thats already confirmed

yes, it means you get to see all the stages of life from newborn to adulthood because some games they don't grow over time, they just go boop from newborn or so into like adult.. lol

yes more stages of their life and also being able to see a difference in tusk or horn sizes and lengths.. when and where was that confirmed? :O That's awesome!

I've finally heard about the Ontogeny (ontogenesis) confirmation!

A YouTuber that gave an exclusive on information said the animals will definitely grow from baby to adult, instead of suddenly becoming an adult from a baby, and will have changes to their body in that time (such as tusks, longer tusks, etc), which is a given with Ontogenesis.

He also confirmed that the game will have "babies being born", "mating", and " death". (How these scenarios play out in the game is beyond me, but can't wait!)

I'M SO HAPPY!

Last edited:
Most recent quote I loved was from the gameplay demo. "Guests will celebrate when animals are born and mourn when they pass away" Just the idea of having say pookie the prized hippo passing away and guests reacting to that is amazing.

I can't remember (i've seen so many - but maybe Rudi Rennkamel or Geekism if I had to guess though

Most recent quote I loved was from the gameplay demo. "Guests will celebrate when animals are born and mourn when they pass away" Just the idea of having say pookie the prized hippo passing away and guests reacting to that is amazing.
Yes, i know right! I loved that too. It is such an awesome feature.

I found it. Here it is :)
Source: https://youtu.be/z-9muLi6ciY?t=946
(I have it exactly where it needs to be for the information - 15:46 is the start of that info.

Last edited:
My only wish for Planet Zoo is that it was made for other consoles besides PC. I mean I still have a 360 and a PS4 which is how I've played Evolution and I'm not big on playing games on PC. I mean why make a game just for that if there are some people who prefer consoles in order to play games?

Ah, thanks, much appreciated! His comments do seem to confirm it, although I will remain skeptical until we get confirmation from the devs themselves. Seems to be too major a feature not to spotlight, if it is actually there.

A dev said "we will be celebrating the full lifecycle in Planet Zoo, with celebration when there's a birth and mourning when there's a death (she said Coaster but meant zoo lol) in the latest video of the full gameplay demo.

No problem. Here is the part in the video where she says that.

"Full life cycle" is the key phrase in that sentence.
What is the life cycle of an animal?
Birth, growth, reproduction and death represent the four stages of the life cycle of all animals. Although these stages are common to all animals, they vary significantly among species. For instance, while insects, birds and reptiles are born from an egg, mammals develop as embryos inside the mothers' bodies.

Last edited:
A dev said "we will be celebrating the full lifecycle in Planet Zoo, with celebration when there's a birth and mourning when there's a death (she said Coaster but meant zoo lol) in the latest video of the full gameplay demo.

No problem. Here is the part in the video where she says that.

"Full life cycle" is the key phrase in that sentence.
What is the life cycle of an animal?
Birth, growth, reproduction and death represent the four stages of the life cycle of all animals. Although these stages are common to all animals, they vary significantly among species. For instance, while insects, birds and reptiles are born from an egg, mammals develop as embryos inside the mothers' bodies.

Your exegetical method of corporate speak is somewhat naive :) When PR people say things, you have to interpret them in the strictest sense possible. The principle of charity does not apply. All within reason, of course.

E.g. when the dev says we will be celebrating 'the full lifecycle', you can take this to mean:
'the game will have an advanced ontogeny system that realistically reflects the gradual growth process in each animals' morphology',
or:
'there is birth, there is the classic, sudden transition from baby to adult, and there is death'.
Which is more likely? Wouldn't they have made more ruckus about such an advanced, never before seen system? Wouldn't we have seen evidence of that in, for example, more intra species variety between animal sizes in the footage released so far? And consider the complexities animation-wise this kind of system would introduce!

I could still be wrong, but I need stronger evidence. I have the impression that the devs are purposely vague about this. I've not seen anyone put this question to the devs in a way that they can escape it without talking around it.

Last edited:
It's definitely not 'never before seen'.. maybe in a zoo game but it is possible regardless but yes I do think the growth will be gradual and Bo's response at the end seems to imply that the growth will be gradual and not sudden, honestly. We will have to see but since a YouTuber that was in their studio that asked tons of questions and things confirmed it, I wouldn't doubt it.. I'm sure there will be morphology in this game as well as they have the tech to do so. I can't wait to find out more. Either way it is exciting and I am only stating what I think to be true. It's not far-fetched, just a lot of time and hard work to get it done. I'd just keep my hopes and say it's not a complete feature yet and they are keeping it under wraps and off screen until it is because that feature would make me and many others so happy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom