Open Gun-ports = open for pvp : Pilots federations rule of the duel

It's adversarial even if no other players are involved, in the same way that fighting or escaping an NPC is adversarial.

This is not a game that you can "make" completely harmonious and handholdy, even in solobius.
Ii said I disagree with the interpretation because facing off in direct PvP is something different than having a general automated environment handing out challenges dynamically to players.

You can swing your junk to the tune of the hornpipe for all it matters because there are no rules for what you do.

Well, I think most commanders after being interdicted are more concerned about living than checking if the handshake was legit.

A better handshake would be to see who is around you, are they triangles (being weapons out, i.e. in handshake terms person is balling fists), fly defensively and escape.
It could add a very tempting dynamic to the game.
triangles?? ...wait...what??

(me googles)
ZXgKhhT.png

well, stone me with my mums curiously-shaped medically prescribed muscle relaxer that vibrates.....(well that's what she told me when I found it in her drawer).

I honestly didn't know that. Like seriously, I thought it had to do with being your opponent being above you or below you but it didn't track properly all the time because, you know, lazy bug fixing :D

Well then, that makes the gun-port-handshake a little more obvious.

Awe gawd, that is shamefully and cringeworthily embarrassing that I didn't know that :D
(i might just hide from the forums for a bit, and not log onto the game for a while - much to everyone else's relief)

As I said, I just leg it, most interactions end with the other ship blasting away whilst I'm still trying to boost and orientate.

Last edited:
Nope.
just
...give me....
....a moment
.. to compose

I'm just wetting myself (giggling) at the moment with massive amounts of embarrassment over that shame.

Triangles they told me!

5 years later

(I'm laughing and sighing with tears in my eyes at the moment)

And it's going to be in the damned manual I never read isn't it!!!

Nope.
just
...give me....
....a moment
.. to compose

I'm just wetting myself (giggling) at the moment with massive amounts of embarrassment over that shame.

Triangles they told me!

5 years later

Admitting a mistake (or unknown knowledge in this case) is never a bad move.
This game has lots of things not obvious in the first or second glance...

After more than 4 years, I got Elite status and flew into Jameson’s memorial station and I wanted to be in open, in my Adder for the occasion to socialize my achievement...... On a Friday night no less, I’m no fooI, I kept an eye on my radar of signs of other players.

I didn’t get attacked, but I did get a tail. However, the chat in the station revolved around a player killing another player and it the aggressor was open and friendly about their decision making process. And after years of listening and playing, I sider with the aggressor. Open means being open to all sorts of player interaction. And I felt hypocritical, as I don’t.
So I decided to formalize a Simple rule of thumb, which that commander tried to use, and I believed in in my naive early days as well.

So spread this around if you agree, to make it an unofficial rule.

OPENED GUN-PORTS = Consent for combat

CLOSED GUN-PORTS = I don’t want to play your game.

So spread this around if you agree, to make it an unofficial rule.
If a player Opens their Gun-ports it means they are a consenting to an open fight.

By Closing gun-ports It means they submit from the fight and it should be respected!!!!!

To be more specific (as there are “grey zones”)
Close all gun ports.
Turn off silent running.
Come to a Full stop.
Power down engines.
Power down weapons.
Power down shields.
Power down FSD.

Turn on report crimes.

By all means take them down to 10% hull but no less, they have submitted!
Help fix their canopy if you got repair limpets,
Just so you know you got them back to base.
(Who said chivalry is dead!)

I dont know OP but you're plan sounds like herding cats to me. Attempting to control the uncontrollable. People being what they are they wont comply without very strong incentives.. Its up to fdev to set the rules and incentives to achieve the behaviour they want.. I kind of like of the idea of cutthroat galaxy of open. Stay on your toes when you visit there.

Nope.
just
...give me....
....a moment
.. to compose

Triangles they told me!

5 years later

Well, better late than never :D

Ii said I disagree with the interpretation because facing off in direct PvP is something different than having a general automated environment handing out challenges dynamically to players.
But you're facing of in direct PvP most of the time, you may just not know the adversaries.

You are never facing of against NPCs as nothing happen if everyone leave it alone.

It wasn't an insult, it's an observation of your behaviour. I went back to find one of your previous statements, and I got it in your very first post. I'm certain there are plenty more but I'm not going to go over them all.

First quote, you want us to justify why we should get to dictate the rules of engagement.
Second quote, you demand you should be allowed to do whatever you want.

Those are against others doing whatever they want, but are for you doing whatever you want, which make you a hypocrite. I suppose unless you think -you- are so important that you actually get to decide for other people. Then you're a narcissist. Again, these aren't insults, that's just laying out facts, in this case how you feel, that you have presented us with.
You can prove a lot through selective quoting and convenient misunderstanding.

Take my words out of context all you like, I'm done here.

A simple solution to PvP vs PvE is to have an option setable by the player that flags them as either PvE or PvP. If you're flagged PvE and someone attempts to shoot you, the weapons do no damage.

Now before anyone jumps in, I'm not actually saying FDev should do this, because I think the game is fine with open or solo depending on your preference, but it would be a fairly easy thing to add if they decided to go the route.

I would have to agree on “flags” that it would hurt the game more.
Just if you interdict or get inderdicted hold your ground and see if the commander box on your radar, turns to a warning triangle that they open their gun ports.
It’s totally voluntary , It’s not forced on people.
But it will show some, ahem, polite manners ;)

To be honest? Aye lad, you've hit a nerve and I think the community has gotten hit on the same nerve to the point we've gotten numb to these exploits,
we all have been incorporating it into our play-style for years now.
In all seriousness, I do enjoy it, but only when I'm prepared for it (of course).

However, a noob complained on Friday night that his freshly bought Anaconda got scrapped just outside the docking ring. A trader, Explorer, not much into combat.
Like a lot of non-combative players, we aren't toiling through engineering combat meta to find ways of debilitating and shutting down a ship so it can't run, like the heat-meta, or super long-range beam cannons so however far they boost, in a normal ship, they have nowhere to run. (unless they just got catfished by a speed adder ;) )

I am so happy to talk to you. Because you express use expression and words, that exposes the mindset - that I just can't fathom.

In counter-point 17 pages in,
I think I have ALSO hit a nerve. (although I think 10 pages of that was BGS and PVP argument that the moderators felt like they had to jump in)

No, I can't look back on this in years to come, and think, maybe, I shouldn't take it seriously?
Surely, that's the point of you little japes? To make a mockery of our seriousness?
Does it bother you so much to be reminded that some people do take their games more seriously than you?

And if people voluntarily add in an extra step in their "open" game to add a cautious trust-building exercise, which you will ignore, or go along with to
Why fight it?

Ultimately what I'm trying to do is help people keep perspective on the issue.

Look, you'd be surprised how little actual ganking I do these days. In my early career, it was a big part of my gameplay. But things were different then. I was on XBOX and between all the factions, big and small, it was a lot like cops and robbers. You wack a guy, he comes back with his buddies, y'all have a scrap and laugh about it afterwards. It was a ton of fun. There's no shame in playing the antagonist.

Ganking is just one possible gateway to that sort of playstyle. It's permission to be an outlaw. Nowadays I'm leading a group out in Colonia. We've established the area's first viable anarchy faction and have created some really fun stories from it. A lot of the people commenting on this thread are involved in it and I love each of them dearly. I can say with absolute certainty none of this would've happened had I not pulled down that AspX in Sol one day years ago and vaporized it.

It's said every fairy tell deserves an old fashioned villain. Elite is no different because at the end of the day, that's all gankers are. :)

Top Bottom