Open letter!!!

Looking at the squadron tags in this thread, im not so sure about that.

1600262587792.png

The term is used as it's a quick, easy and well established way to summarise a common player type:
  • thinks all PvPers are 'griefers' and members of SDC
  • looks down on competitive or aggressive playstyles because they are too intelligent and socially advanced for that caveman stuff..
  • everyone else should be beholden to their moral code
  • is prone to armchair psychology
  • thinks cheating is ok when they get attacked by a player without consent
  • likes to taunt gankers from solo in system chat
  • makes sure any pro PvP idea or suggestion on the forums is shouted down, using adhominems if the poster is argumentative

I never met such a "common player type" on any forum or in any game. He/she does not exist.
Using such simplistic and juvenile generalizations to paint people with the same broad brush is the real problem. It is a the root of all evil.

Last edited:
why do you think that? because i pointed out a post reeking of perceived superiority and calling other people dumb while waving around some wrong assumptions about words? business as usual on the internet.

ganking and griefing are specific behaviors well known in the multiplayer gaming context. while there is sometimes difficulty to qualify some behavior as such, the meaning is still clear, and games usually set specific terms on that interpretation. in elite killing a player in the open world isn't ganking nor griefing per-se. most discussions around this are about actions that are unclear or definitely aren't ganking nor griefing.

"carebear" usually depicts extremely risk avoiding players which dislike any form of gameplay involving direct conflict with other players (participating in conflict from e.g. the safety of pg/solo is well accepted indeed). although the term is merely descriptive, it may be intended as an insult. which is indeed cheap, unimaginative and kind of nonsensical. however often people fitting this description are very vocal while being generally unable to accept valid gameplay as per the game rules, and making a fuss about ganking or griefing when it isn't. in that case "carebear" has the added signalling that the nonsense (of campaigning carebearism in a game/mode/context that doesn't endorse carebearing) isn't being bought. still not an insult but a pretty apt and meaningful colloquial shorthand description. in that case people are not describing you simply as a carebear, but a clueless or irrational carebear ... and come to think of it it's still a quite polite way to put it.

hope all this isn't to much for you, just hang on :)

thank you! please please please fetch me that rubber iq ball, i'd like to chew on it!

What you fail to grasp is most games that are "mmo" with RPG elements (earning credits, buying stuff and inequality in equipment) have strict rules regarding PvP, where and when. Elite does not, meaning the players themselves need to "control" themselves IF they have the mental intelect to do so. Games that are "free for all" PvP like COD etc have no real inequality in equipment.

Someone ganking, griefing in a game like Elite for "the lulz" is a pleb, end of.

What you fail to grasp is most games that are "mmo" with RPG elements (earning credits, buying stuff and inequality in equipment) have strict rules regarding PvP, where and when. Elite does not, meaning the players themselves need to "control" themselves IF they have the mental intelect to do so. Games that are "free for all" PvP like COD etc have no real inequality in equipment.

elite does have very clear rules about ganking and griefing. alas, like everything frontier, the information is scattered across several official posts. in any case, they are the sole authority to sanction what is ganking or griefing. funny thing to note, ganking is NOT against the rules unless it degenerates into griefing, which is clearly forbidden. the players are NOT in position to control anything about this, except their own behavior.

Someone ganking, griefing in a game like Elite for "the lulz" is a pleb, end of.

i could agree with your general view about what constitutes positive/commendable behavior, but the way you sanction it (with zero authority) and the mere mention of "pleb" ... thanks for the info, but that's really a pointless statement.

I'm afraid this particular Open Letter has now been superceded...

elite does have very clear rules about ganking and griefing. alas, like everything frontier, the information is scattered across several official posts. in any case, they are the sole authority to sanction what is ganking or griefing. funny thing to note, ganking is NOT against the rules unless it degenerates into griefing, which is clearly forbidden. the players are NOT in position to control anything about this, except their own behavior.

i could agree with your general view about what constitutes positive/commendable behavior, but the way you sanction it (with zero authority) and the mere mention of "pleb" ... thanks for the info, but that's really a pointless statement.

IF you are a decent PvP advocate then why take offence at what I say? If I say paedo's convicted and serving prison time should be executed, that doesn't mean I want all criminals in prison executed. i.e. I am targetting a very specific style of player and not tarring all with the same brush at all, many many decent PvPers in Elite.

PvP has valid reason to exist in the game and it is spoilt by a minority who cannot control themselves and it's that minority that I am insulting. It's the same minority that in racing sims crash into people on purpose for the lulz, they have no interest in actually doing good laps and going fast, they just want to see crashes and spoil other peoples fun.

Gamers who get off on upsetting other people are fully deserving of the insults and scorn directed at them.

I'm afraid this particular Open Letter has now been superceded...

Excellent hahahaha! We're not the only place for nerds! ;)

IF you are a decent PvP advocate then why take offence at what I say?

i don't take any offence at all, i just disagree. generalizations have their use but not when it comes to judging other's behavior, where what matters is their actual actions and the specific context. this includes speech. remember, the initial statement i rebutted was "uses 'carebear' word -> low iq".

i didn't even want to discuss pvp/ganking/carebears in elite ... it doesn't really bother me. the game has rules players should be aware of, and jerks are a fact of life and people should be aware of that too. the game allows ganking but has the option to avoid it 100%, and the game forbids griefing and there is a proper channel to denounce that. from there it should be fairly easy ... most of the discussions about the topic tend to ignore these basic facts and thus start off wrong and of course quickly degenerate.

i don't take any offence at all, i just disagree. generalizations have their use but not when it comes to judging other's behavior, where what matters is their actual actions and the specific context. this includes speech. remember, the initial statement i rebutted was "uses 'carebear' word -> low iq".

i didn't even want to discuss pvp/ganking/carebears in elite ... it doesn't really bother me. the game has rules players should be aware of, and jerks are a fact of life and people should be aware of that too. the game allows ganking but has the option to avoid it 100%, and the game forbids griefing and there is a proper channel to denounce that. from there it should be fairly easy ... most of the discussions about the topic tend to ignore these basic facts and thus start off wrong and of course quickly degenerate.

So you complained about me saying that then complained about the use of ganking and griefing.....<shrugs>

I never met such a "common player type" on any forum or in any game. He/she does not exist.
Using such simplistic and juvenile generalizations to paint people with the same broad brush is the real problem. It is a the root of all evil.

So posting a tongue-in-cheek list of characteristics is now the 'root of all evil'? lol. I'd say anyone who takes things posted on a computer game forum that seriously is the juvenile one.

Holy cow, I confused this with the other one!
You know, I don't like calling you fellas carebears, but I gotta be honest, I don't know what else to call you.
I've been using PvE community which is a pain to type out. I'm thinking solo activist though. 😂

You know, I have insults ready, too and I don't know what else to call you, but I don't.

From my perspective as someone who doesn't mind getting my spaceship shot at or what mode any of you use this is all very silly indeed and has been for six years. You all need to chill a bit to each others choices.

Including me choosing to use block to purge the unworthy.
the fun thing is that there have actually been studies on this sort of thing

short version: people do negatively react to "do-gooders", and the negative reaction isn't towards the action of being good, it's the perception that the goodies are judging them.

Nobody cares about PG players doing their thing, but when those PG players start disparaging the open players for being the reason they play in private, the pitchforks come out.

Top Bottom