Open Play and Crime and Punishment; a Proposed Holistic Approach

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Kai - I'll start by saying I think the post and accompanying responses so far together form a really useful resource for FDev if they plan to address C&P.
Do you mean the proposals that Frontier already came up with themselves, and started to implement before getting distracted with Odyssey, have disappeared? Shame, I liked those.

Wasn't trying to shame you in the slightest and I don't care what your friends think of your opinions I was merely stating that I had a higher opinion of the Reapers that I have known. But hey, opinions can be modified with further data. I was asking for an honest conversation and you seem to only want to bicker. OK, go be sour. I'm gonna go have a beer.

I'm having an honest conversation you. I just don't think you like how direct the questions are.

No matter. We can continue.

Do you understand what I'm saying in regards to can't vs. won't? All players have access to the same tools and skills that everyone else does. The G5 FDL murderhobo doesn't have anything the Noobwinder can't eventually achieve with time and effort. It is not a matter of if a player can take it upon themselves to learn the game, but if they will.

This game is lousy with examples of players that refuse to take any responsibility for their play. They don't pick the right mode. They don't outfit their ship properly. They don't even bother to learn basic flight and navigation skills. Instead they'd rather cry about what those other nasty players did to them (never mind it's in the rules of the game) and wish FDEV squashes them with the finger of God.

Any proposal is dead on arrival that doesn't deal with the above. That's the point I'm trying to make here.

Instead they'd rather cry about what those other nasty players did to them (never mind it's in the rules of the game) and wish FDEV squashes them with the finger of God.
Honestly I think this is a myth. We hardly ever see "nasty gankers exploded my ship" posts. Very occasionally we see someone who was exploded seeking to understand why it was done. It's vastly more common to see gankers complaining that the victims are blocking them or not playing in Open.

Why does this all need to be so complicated when other games like World of Warcraft managed this so easily? I for one would instantly stop playing in solo if I knew such measures were in place.

#1 Ability to set a pvp flag for your ship. If disabled then you cannot be engaged by another player, nor can you attack another player whilst your pvp flag is disabled.

#2 Some areas can be made to be pvp zones, which will flag a player for pvp if entered.

Why does this all need to be so complicated when other games like World of Warcraft managed this so easily? I for one would instantly stop playing in solo if I knew such measures were in place.

#1 Ability to set a pvp flag for your ship. If disabled then you cannot be engaged by another player, nor can you attack another player whilst your pvp flag is disabled.

#2 Some areas can be made to be pvp zones, which will flag a player for pvp if entered.

It'd be best if FDEV actually determined a vision for what the game is and stuck to it. But at this stage, what we got is what we got.

I discussed this earlier in this very thread.

Extract "WoW Doesn't have the BgS and PP mechanics of players who are not flagged able to alter the game in a meaningful way for those that are flagged and vice versa."

Just spitballing here, but I wonder if there is a way to "increase" the population of "open" for individuals using the private group whitelist system?

Basically, when in Open, the server also has the option to instance you into the "Private Group" when no other Open Player is instanced with you. The two instances would need to be mutually exclusive, and this would also need to be disabled in high traffic systems.

The major issue I could see is de-instancing issues caused by automatic mode switching, but what do you all think? Is this feasible, is there a way to make this work, or is it potentially too troublesome and exploitable?

Last edited:
Honestly I think this is a myth. We hardly ever see "nasty gankers exploded my ship" posts. Very occasionally we see someone who was exploded seeking to understand why it was done. It's vastly more common to see gankers complaining that the victims are blocking them or not playing in Open.
A lot of the time it's not the people being shot that complain, it's third parties that wouldn't do the shooting themselves that come out to wag their fingers.

In a recent reddit thread, I had some guy say this:
I never once gave up any cargo, and i never will, i can see that you pirates take a pride in annoying other players, but never understood why

Maybe you guys only feel alive when you gank ?
They got somewhat dogpiled for conflating pirates and gankers. This was in a thread about a video where I fought a wing of three after they opened fire in response to my request for cargo.
The guys in the wing put up a good show, they certainly didn't back down and it's not like my T7 could masslock any of the ships in their wing. By the time it was just the conda left I was in no condition to continue the fight. The dudes I "griefed" were totally down for a scrap as far as I can tell. It's some other dude getting offended on their behalf that started the finger-wagging.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom