PvP Optimal shield resistance mix for PvP (FDL)

Hey there,
currently I want to upgrade my shields + booster for my combat PvP FDL.

As far as I know there are two ways to go: either high resistance with bi-weave shields + resistance boosters or high shield capacity with for example prisamtic shields + heavy duty and so on.
What I can't realy decide what the best mix is currently.

For now I would go with resictance. But what combination of resistances on my shield and boosters would be optimal? I can't realy decide. Also I'm lacking a bit PvP combat experience, so also there I'm lacking knowledge what is best for that.
So any push in the right direction would help.

Thanks and fly save CMDR's o7

Regarding combat experience: is ther somthing like a determined group that teaches PvP combat / trains PvP newbies. Like a PvP combat school :)

Regarding combat experience: is ther somthing like a determined group that teaches PvP combat / trains PvP newbies. Like a PvP combat school :)

Galactic Combat Initiative. I am not a part of 'em but was musing about taking a wander over myself.

As resistances go: first up, resistances are capped. Until 50%, you get actual resistance. From 50% upwards, all gains are halved. So if you had the shields/boosters to get 50% thermal resistance, you would resist half damage. If you had the shields/boosters to get to 80% resistance, you'd get 65% resistance: 50+(30/2)=50+15=65. The best resistance you can achieve is where your figures show a 100% resistance, which gives an actual 75% resistance: 50+(50/2)=50+25=75.

So...what does this mean? With a thermal resistant shield (which is almost always the best choice), especially with the new inflated resistances from engineering, there's rarely a reason to use more than 3 resistance augmented shield boosters: you just aren't gaining much extra resistance. And that's for bi-weave builds - on full shield tanks, 2 resistance augmented boosters is usually good enough, with the remainder heavy duty. This is especially true as PAs and collision damage from ramming has some or all "absolute" damage, which ignores resistance.

How you put this into practice depends on the type of ship you want to build. The traditional FDL shield tank features one undersized prismatic shield, and the highest class slot used for an SCB. Use 2 resistant shield boosters and at least a couple of heavy duty. Make sure you add some hull HP, to give you a little time when shields drop and to stop phasing embarrassing you.

If you want a bi-weave build I'd prolly recommend highest class resistance augmented bi-weave and 3 resistant boosters, as you do want that extra bit of resistance, and you don't need to over-inflate your shield capacity to avoid it taking too long to recharge.

TL;DR until you can work this out for yourself use a thermal resistant shield and either 2 or 3 augmented resistance boosters, depending on whether you want a shield tank or hybrid (bi-weave) respectively, and any other boosters should be heavy duty.

Powderpanic

Banned
I run thermal biweave, 2 resistance and 1 heavy duty.

I turn off the HD when I need to recharge and back on with shields up.

Bit more admin but results in a nice overall MJ boost

Powderpanic
The Voice of Griefing

Something to think about; broken shields can be restored to half power by using the Reboot/Repair cycle, available on your right hand panel. This isn't useful in the middle of a fight, but can get you back in to it sooner under the right circumstances. Especially if you go the A-rated/Prismatic route.

Oh and one additional questioin. When you guys speak abot resistance for boosters. What is better to take: kinetic res. and thermal res. or flat all res.
I think you guys speak about the "Resistance Augmented Blueprint" that gives 17% to all.

Oh and one additional questioin. When you guys speak abot resistance for boosters. What is better to take: kinetic res. and thermal res. or flat all res.
I think you guys speak about the "Resistance Augmented Blueprint" that gives 17% to all.

Just take augmented resistance. Utility slots are too precious to sacrifice all dem potential resistances to save on a small extra power consumption.

Something to think about; broken shields can be restored to half power by using the Reboot/Repair cycle, available on your right hand panel. This isn't useful in the middle of a fight, but can get you back in to it sooner under the right circumstances. Especially if you go the A-rated/Prismatic route.

Funny story. When that first became a thing, I low waked from a 3v1 gank attempt (me being the one in that equation) that had trashed my shields and pounded my hull pretty bad. So, I'm in SC thinking "Hahaha motorfingers! You can't catch the magnificent jasonbarron that easily!" to myself, patting myself on the back for surviving. But my shields are still down, so I drop back into normal space and get ready to pull the 'ol rebooterroo trick I've been hearing so much about. I throttle back to zero, and just as I open the functions menu and begin scrolling down the page, I hear the ominous sounds of Thwip Thwip Thwip as my enemies arrive in my instance. And then the more ominous sounds of incoming fire. So, I'm panicking now "Ahhhg I have to get my shields up!" and I stab the button that looks like the right one...and watch in stupefaction as the self destruct countdown timer began...

Funny story. When that first became a thing, I low waked from a 3v1 gank attempt (me being the one in that equation) that had trashed my shields and pounded my hull pretty bad. So, I'm in SC thinking "Hahaha motorfingers! You can't catch the magnificent jasonbarron that easily!" to myself, patting myself on the back for surviving. But my shields are still down, so I drop back into normal space and get ready to pull the 'ol rebooterroo trick I've been hearing so much about. I throttle back to zero, and just as I open the functions menu and begin scrolling down the page, I hear the ominous sounds of Thwip Thwip Thwip as my enemies arrive in my instance. And then the more ominous sounds of incoming fire. So, I'm panicking now "Ahhhg I have to get my shields up!" and I stab the button that looks like the right one...and watch in stupefaction as the self destruct countdown timer began...

Your point still stands: they cannot catch the magnificent jasonbarron if he is hurtling through space at incredible speed in an escape pod.

Galactic Combat Initiative. I am not a part of 'em but was musing about taking a wander over myself.

As resistances go: first up, resistances are capped. Until 50%, you get actual resistance. From 50% upwards, all gains are halved. So if you had the shields/boosters to get 50% thermal resistance, you would resist half damage. If you had the shields/boosters to get to 80% resistance, you'd get 65% resistance: 50+(30/2)=50+15=65. The best resistance you can achieve is where your figures show a 100% resistance, which gives an actual 75% resistance: 50+(50/2)=50+25=75.

Question: does this apply to the final resistances as well? Because all of the official declarations of the developers only refer to shield booster stacking, not to the pips/shield component.
If you look over at Coriolis, the compound final resistance can approach 90% in extreme cases.

As for the topic at hand, in another thread I brought forward my current FdL build; I ditched the heat sinks/SCB completely, as most competent players can render them useless nowadays, in favour of one more booster and HRP/MRP.
It has over 3.600 Mj of shield and 1.600 armor with high resistances.

Granted, I would be very reluctant to use it as duels would be a long, boring slog... I wasn't kidding when I mentioned that I'll very, very much prefer dueling with stock eagles armed with fixed ballistics only.

ALGOMATIC

Banned
The prism FDL will be a slow HD stacked cow that you will fly with 4 0 2 and basically rely on eating fire constantly while being offset by the massive shield value. It is considered less skillfull cheesy build.

The current FDL meta is the thermal bi weave light weight ship. It relys on proper pip management and fire evasion, and even if the shields drop they come back quickly enough.

The prism FDL will be a slow HD stacked cow that you will fly with 4 0 2 and basically rely on eating fire constantly while being offset by the massive shield value. It is considered less skillfull cheesy build.

The current FDL meta is the thermal bi weave light weight ship. It relys on proper pip management and fire evasion, and even if the shields drop they come back quickly enough.

Fair enough for me, I am a lesser-skilled player. I also know how to pip-dance effectively though, I even wrote a script for that.

I fought some of the other builds you mentioned, in my experience they tend to run away a lot to partially regen the shield. Makes the duel even longer and boring...

Question: does this apply to the final resistances as well? Because all of the official declarations of the developers only refer to shield booster stacking, not to the pips/shield component.
If you look over at Coriolis, the compound final resistance can approach 90% in extreme cases.

As for the topic at hand, in another thread I brought forward my current FdL build; I ditched the heat sinks/SCB completely, as most competent players can render them useless nowadays, in favour of one more booster and HRP/MRP.
It has over 3.600 Mj of shield and 1.600 armor with high resistances.

Granted, I would be very reluctant to use it as duels would be a long, boring slog... I wasn't kidding when I mentioned that I'll very, very much prefer dueling with stock eagles armed with fixed ballistics only.

*opens link, mess of ED shipyard appears*

tenor.gif

Sorry, now that's out the way :D

I am 99% certain that outfitting resistances are separate from pip allocation resistance. The shield "resistance" obtained from setting pips to SYS is almost like an "absolute" resistance: AFAIK it even increases resistances to absolute damage including collisions and the absolute damage from PAs.

If anyone would like to correct me, please do so!

As your build goes: that's one way of doing it, heh. I guess no-one can say you have weak shields or are vulnerable to feedback rails. You WILL have to ensure you keep an eye on enemy loadout and employ good evasive skills though, because a good thermal shock/torpedo/phasing etc. loadout will bring it to its knees, and if someone can pour good sustained DPS on you then you have literally zero regen ability. I'd also personally use a thermal resistant mod for the shield and think more about long-range/high alpha weaponry: you will get minced albeit very, very slowly by many fast builds designed to fight at long range. Reverski cutters are your enemy.

*opens link, mess of ED shipyard appears*

To their defense, the new beta version ain't too shabby! ...and it's the only one with support for new engineers, AFAIK.

you will get minced albeit very, very slowly by many fast builds designed to fight at long range. Reverski cutters are your enemy.

Indeed, faster builds that can dictate the range of the engagement give me trouble, but if they are running away to recharge shields constantly, what's the point of duelling? The thing is, with such a build I will outlast however number of chaffs they can bring, and then my Multicannons will really start to shine.

As for Cutters, TLB/Dispersal Field makes any large ship redundant.

Of course you are all correct.

'Sys resistance' has nothing to do with resistance to damage types. We really ought to call it something else.

Example: 60% thermal resist reduces laser damage 40 to 16 (40*.4)

4 pips would then reduce that to 6.4 (40*.4*.4)

Last edited:
As for Cutters, TLB/Dispersal Field makes any large ship redundant.

I'd be a tad careful with that. A large ship built for good tankiness, with the ability to fire fixed, will still give you trouble. This is particularly true of the reverski kind, where fixed weapons are easily one of the strongest choices you can make.

The difference will be whether you're up against an apex PvPer or someone more average. More average pilots will get stumped by TLB/dispersal field totally. Apex PvPers will most likely have made accommodation for such builds, and employ said accommodation with nightmarish precision.

Last edited:
Herbrand, am I reading that boost speed correctly as 350 ms? Damn, that's not even what I would call slow.

I know several FdLs that are boosting at nearly 560 running 5x Phasing PA's that would make you feel like you were being executed by an anti aircraft gun. They'd be force feeding you plasma while you'd never lay a glove on them. When I feel like more engineering, I plan to build one myself.

Edit: I'm on my mobile and it's having trouble displaying the entire page for your build. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong speed stats. I can't see the bottom of the page

Last edited:
I would imagine that anyone with the know-how to build a highly engineered Cutter/Corvette would certainly be well aware of Plasma's most deadly secondaries - hence the almost non-existent amount of such ships doing PvP.

Herbrand, am I reading that boost speed correctly as 350 ms? Damn, that's not even what I would call slow.

Nope, that would be 543:

https://www.screencast.com/t/wc3g6grSy

I'd be a fool to not max the Thrusters - in fact, if I had to choose one module and one only to top, that would be it.

I would imagine that anyone with the know-how to build a highly engineered Cutter/Corvette would certainly be well aware of Plasma's most deadly secondaries - hence the almost non-existent amount of such ships doing PvP.

I've switched to using my iCutter a fair bit because my stick is broken (sheepish grin mode activated), and I fly bigger ships better with kbam, and I've been playing with a few loadouts - but often using something like C4 fixed pulse and 2x rail on bottom, or 2xrail on bottom and C4/2xC3 gimballed pulse that can swap to fixed quickly. Trust me, it's effective.

Also don't forget about the wonder of SLFs. A good PvP player can swap to SLF very quickly and pour fixed beams on you with almost permanent fire thanks to heat sinks.

Top Bottom