Option to remove snakes (or other certain animals)

I really really enjoyed playing Planet Coaster, and I would very much like to play Planet Zoo as well.
I do, however, have a crippling fear of snakes, to the point where I can't see a picture of one without getting cold sweat, getting extremely nervous, well, pretty much all the symptoms one would associate with fear. It's stressful and it pretty much turns any feeling of fun and enjoyment into a feeling of anxiety, alertness and a very strong urge to escape.

While I realize the game is a Zoo simulator, which very much includes animals of various sorts, I'd very very very much appreciate a mod that either removes snakes or replaces them with some of the other exhibit animals, like frogs. I enjoy the game's many settings that can help customize the game to each individual player, and if it was taken a step further than just snakes, there could be an option to disable specific animals.

I'm not sure if it's already now possible to simply delete the game files related to snakes, but since the Deluxe Edition of the game adds new species to the game, it seems to me that it might also be possible to remove certain species from the game.

Unless you are specifically looking for a snake you won't see a snake. If you play the senario mode there may be a snake already there but you can go into the zoo tab and sell them without ever seeing them I believe. I think you can pretty easily avoid seeing any snakes and have fun playing :)

If you won't know already the exhibit animals are in a seperate tab than the habitat animals so when you go to adopt you could be extra safe and only adopt habitat animals.

You may see a very small snake icon if you open up the general zoopedia. It is not really necessary to use the zoopedia for most things though.

I really really enjoyed playing Planet Coaster, and I would very much like to play Planet Zoo as well.
I do, however, have a crippling fear of snakes, to the point where I can't see a picture of one without getting cold sweat, getting extremely nervous, well, pretty much all the symptoms one would associate with fear. It's stressful and it pretty much turns any feeling of fun and enjoyment into a feeling of anxiety, alertness and a very strong urge to escape.

While I realize the game is a Zoo simulator, which very much includes animals of various sorts, I'd very very very much appreciate a mod that either removes snakes or replaces them with some of the other exhibit animals, like frogs. I enjoy the game's many settings that can help customize the game to each individual player, and if it was taken a step further than just snakes, there could be an option to disable specific animals.

I'm not sure if it's already now possible to simply delete the game files related to snakes, but since the Deluxe Edition of the game adds new species to the game, it seems to me that it might also be possible to remove certain species from the game.

You don't have to have them in your park and there are snakes that will possibly go extinct without being given this platform. Thanks for your input but you really need to go learn about real animal conservation, go to your Zoo, talk to a keeper about the importance of snakes in habitats and then come back to this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very sorry this is happening to you. Do you really have that strong a response to the animal pictures in the game? (as in: have you tried, or did you rather not try at all?)
Personally I have arachnophobia but over the years I have tought myself, that spiders on my screen are fine (mainly through confrontation with videos about spiders and through gameplay). There are still situations where I up and leave or shut down a video or whatnot but I can deal quite well with animated spiders or game spiders. Luckily, the spiders in the game don't move and I don't need to look into the exhibits, anyway. Sorting out their offspring and seeing only the small picture does not trigger me. (And yes, It used to when I was younger) Now it's only real life spiders that freak me out, but that is a lot better than what it used to be.

I do symathise with your issue and am sorry you don't feel you can enjoy the game that much.

@Wolf_of_NationalParkZoo OP did not say they did not like snakes, they said they have a crippling fear of snakes, which is a difference, but maybe that is harder to understand if you have never felt that kind of fear that you cannot rationalise or calm yourself down from. Also, they did not say they wished for snakes to vanish from the face of the earth or the game in general. Only their own installation of the game. Which is exactly, what mods in some games can be used for. Personally, I love snakes and I enjoy watching them, but people are different :)

My recommendation for Frontier would be an optional phobia filter art swap that you could check off on exhibit species from the options menu. Basically if the checkbox for a species is ticked the model and image assets get replaced with a phobia filter model and icons. This way the animals are still functionally in game, but you don't ever have to see them. There's a Skyrim mod that swaps all the spider art in the game for the existing bear art and maintains the encounters, something similar could work here.

please, please, please implement this.

I have been able to hide myself from spiders for quite some time, but there is one scenario map that already has them.
I thought "Ok, I'll just sell them". And I did. But when I entered the research tab there it was, a beautiful giant yellow/black spider. And I immediately panicked and closed my notebook. Now I can't move to the next scenario because I'm afraid to at least get a bronze star in this one. I have a serious case of Arachnophobia...

please help me obiwankenobi, you're my only hope.

For people without any phobias, this might not be a big deal, but for some of us it's a huge deal. And how much work would it take a developer to add a filter in the game options with a checklist that allows players to filter out certain animals from the game? Probably not a lot of work, would be my guess. But to be fair, I'm not a programmer.

For people without any phobias, this might not be a big deal, but for some of us it's a huge deal. And how much work would it take a developer to add a filter in the game options with a checklist that allows players to filter out certain animals from the game? Probably not a lot of work, would be my guess. But to be fair, I'm not a programmer.

You can filter when searching through the animal market to avoid the snakes, so why should they add another filter?

i totally understand your fear, but the option is already there. And in the Zoopedia don't click the snakes.

You can filter when searching through the animal market to avoid the snakes, so why should they add another filter?

i totally understand your fear, but the option is already there. And in the Zoopedia don't click the snakes.

First of all you have to filter the exhibit animals in every game. It never starts filtered. Secondly, there's pictures of the animals in the Zoopedia next to their names. So even if you don't click on them, you can't even avoid their picture.

First of all you have to filter the exhibit animals in every game. It never starts filtered. Secondly, there's pictures of the animals in the Zoopedia next to their names. So even if you don't click on them, you can't even avoid their picture.

Ah I forgot the pictures.

I try to look away when I know there's potentially a snake picture on the screen, and I try to use the Zoopedia as little as possible - which isn't always easy cause it has a lot of info needed for habitat size, what other animals the animal likes, etc. But every now and then - and sadly more often than I'd like, a snake picture sneaks into view, and I get a massive stress shock. And I really play this game to relax and take my time with building a park and habitats - not to be stressed out and experience jump scares.

In the end, I could just play another game, but I do like the game in general - just not the snake part. I know other people suffer from arachnophobia, and some people might have issues with crocodiles or other animals - A filter system could help out everybody, and it doesn't seem like it would require that much work to implement.
It could just be a filter out in the options in the settings with a list of animals by name (without pictures) and you could click off the animals you don't want to see, and they'd just never show up in your game until you clicked them on again.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Top Bottom