Option to turn off FREEFORM on track rides

I think we should have an option in the settings menu to turn off the stupid FREEFORM for track rides! Some people (like me) can't do FREEFORM and therefore cannot build any track rides in their park whilever there is no option to turn FREEFORM off! I think there needs to be a checkbox that you can tick saying something like "Use Freeform" and if you don't want to use FREEFORM, you simply leave it unchecked and have the peices of whatever track ride you wish to put into your park in the editor section - I think that forcing us to use FREEFORM is wrong!

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure that I understand what "freeform" is referring to here, so I apologise if I'm wrong, but you can turn on the "angle-snap" option in the coaster builder if you are not comfortable building track freely. I find it works wonders for things like consistent banking.

Or if you are talking about not wanting to build coasters in general, you can find lots of pre-built ones on the workshop if you want to just 'plop' one down. [happy]

I'm not quite sure that I understand what "freeform" is referring to here, so I apologise if I'm wrong, but you can turn on the "angle-snap" option in the coaster builder if you are not comfortable building track freely. I find it works wonders for things like consistent banking.

Or if you are talking about not wanting to build coasters in general, you can find lots of pre-built ones on the workshop if you want to just 'plop' one down. [happy]

No that's not what I mean, angle snap is FREEFORM. But just a tiny bit easier, I mean why can't the makers of this game put the track pieces into the Editor so that we don't have to use angle snap or FREEFORM if we don't want to? I have tried both methods that are there and I STILL can't build a railway for my park. So having the track pieces to click on in the editor would be a big help for me. See the pic below to see what I'm on about by saying the pieces should be in the track editor and we shouldn't HAVE to use FREEFORM or ANGLE SNAP if we don't want to!

21.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I honestly can't understand how this could be difficult to do. How can you not complete a monorail track with the current builder? You can make 90 or 45 degree turns with angle snap if you want (which is the exact same thing as the pieces on RCT3), but you can also make it completely freeform. But no matter which one you use, you only have to connect it from start to end. Where exactly does this go wrong for you?

... I mean why can't the makers of this game put the track pieces into the Editor so that we don't have to use angle snap or FREEFORM if we don't want to?

The reason is that the track isn't made from a finite selection of track options, like a hornby railway set or scalextric. It uses a method called (among other things) spline-conforming geometry. What you are in fact plotting out is the spline path you want. The track 3D model is then dynamically bent and replicated along the length to follow it. So there are no "pieces" as such; this method is in fact necessary for full freeform to be possible.

They could give you a finite set of spline sections to use, but how many is too many? Or too few? It's really no different from setting angle-snap on. You could try setting the angle to 45 and length to maximum, that would reduce the amount of "pieces" to a limited set. Set to 15 when inclining, I guess. Depends on track type.

(If you find lining them up at the end is being a pain, be sure to use the "jigsaw" auto-complete button when your track tip is nearly back at the station. Then select the last 2 segments or so and Smooth All a few times. I find that does the trick.)

The problem I see is a lot of people are still fixed on RCT3 that was made in 2004 and want this great game to be dumbed down to that type of mechanics. A lot has changed in 12 years.

It doesn't matter WHAT I say, you're all going to disagree! Just because you CAN do FREEFORM and some of us can't, you practically call us dumb?

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter WHAT I say, you're all going to disagree! Just because you CAN do FREEFORM and some of us can't, you practically call us dumb?

I did not call you dumb, I said the game mechanics was dumb compared to Planet Coaster. Read what is posted before flying off the handle! Your opinion is not the only one that matters. Get off your high horse!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not call you dumb, I said the game mechanics was dumb compared to Planet Coaster. Read what is posted before flying off the handle! Your opinion is not the only one that matters. Get off your high horse!

Never said it was! I just think that it's time that people that can't do FREEFORM got listened to, and got an option to turn off the FREEFORM tool in Planet Coaster! Not everybody can do FREEFORM, and it's time the makers of this game took that into consideration!

Never said it was! I just think that it's time that people that can't do FREEFORM got listened to, and got an option to turn off the FREEFORM tool in Planet Coaster! Not everybody can do FREEFORM, and it's time the makers of this game took that into consideration!

And we do understand this. So did the developers. That's where the angle snap is for. You can use freeform or an angle snapped base to build a coaster or a monorail. If you set the angle snap to 45 degrees, you'll have the exact same options as RCT3 had. So the developers did take it into consideration.

Please bare in mind the positive character we try to maintain on this forum. There's nothing wrong with a firm discussion, but there's no need for getting mad or reacting the way you did before. We try to help you, so you can enjoy the game like we enjoy it.[up]

And we do understand this. So did the developers. That's where the angle snap is for. You can use freeform or an angle snapped base to build a coaster or a monorail. If you set the angle snap to 45 degrees, you'll have the exact same options as RCT3 had. So the developers did take it into consideration.

Please bare in mind the positive character we try to maintain on this forum. There's nothing wrong with a firm discussion, but there's no need for getting mad or reacting the way you did before. We try to help you, so you can enjoy the game like we enjoy it.[up]

Angle snap doesn't work either! My train track is STILL refusing to go straight after I've done the first corner and I've tried exactly what you said!

Last edited:

You are being listened to otherwise people wouldn't bother making the effort to reply on your thread. They would just bypass it or ignore it entirely. Just stop getting so aggressive and defensive. It's not what you say, but how you say it. People are generally trying to help on this forum and we won't always agree.

I do understand what you're saying, but the new spline system is a natural progression over what we had before with RCT3. When you get used to the tools in this game, you'll not want to go back to the prefab pieces we had in RCT3. It just takes a bit of getting used to. Just play around with it and have fun. You'll be surprised at what you can do.

But for now, the system does have the flexibility to make it easy for everyone, so I hope this helps.

First off, if you want to make the coaster builder simple, follow these steps.
1: Put Angle Snap to 30 degrees. It means you won't get the 45 degree turns you got in RCT3, but it'll be close enough and will keep the snap options simple enough.
2: Leave the track segment length alone. This will give you a RCT feel and will make each piece feel like a prefab.
3: Just think of the arrows at the end of the track piece as the same as the arrows on the RCT3 dashboard. So for example, rather than clicking the left turn arrow button, as you did before, just drag the track section once to the left, or twice if you want it sharper. ( if you want the turn angle to be the same as RCT3, you'll need the snap angle to be 45 degrees and then play with the track segment length to get the different sized curves).

And when it comes towards the end of your coaster, you can always hit the Auto-complete button.

I hope this helps and you have a lot of fun with this game. As I said though, just try playing around with the freeform. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece but you should be enjoying yourself. Just mucking around with it will make it easier. [happy][up]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Angle snap doesn't work either! My train track is STILL refusing to go straight after I've done the first corner and I've tried exactly what you said!

Also, the following track piece automatically takes the same attributes as the piece you've just placed (I think this is to help get smoother layouts). So if you want a straight piece after a curve, just pull the the track straight. All the pieces will then be straight until you change it.

You are being listened to otherwise people wouldn't bother making the effort to reply on your thread. They would just bypass it or ignore it entirely. Just stop getting so aggressive and defensive. It's not what you say, but how you say it. People are generally trying to help on this forum and we won't always agree.

I do understand what you're saying, but the new spline system is a natural progression over what we had before with RCT3. When you get used to the tools in this game, you'll not want to go back to the prefab pieces we had in RCT3. It just takes a bit of getting used to. Just play around with it and have fun. You'll be surprised at what you can do.

But for now, the system does have the flexibility to make it easy for everyone, so I hope this helps.

First off, if you want to make the coaster builder simple, follow these steps.
1: Put Angle Snap to 30 degrees. It means you won't get the 45 degree turns you got in RCT3, but it'll be close enough and will keep the snap options simple enough.
2: Leave the track segment length alone. This will give you a RCT feel and will make each piece feel like a prefab.
3: Just think of the arrows at the end of the track piece as the same as the arrows on the RCT3 dashboard. So for example, rather than clicking the left turn arrow button, as you did before, just drag the track section once to the left, or twice if you want it sharper. ( if you want the turn angle to be the same as RCT3, you'll need the snap angle to be 45 degrees and then play with the track segment length to get the different sized curves).

And when it comes towards the end of your coaster, you can always hit the Auto-complete button.

I hope this helps and you have a lot of fun with this game. As I said though, just try playing around with the freeform. It doesn't have to be a masterpiece but you should be enjoying yourself. Just mucking around with it will make it easier. [happy][up]

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Also, the following track piece automatically takes the same attributes as the piece you've just placed (I think this is to help get smoother layouts). So if you want a straight piece after a curve, just pull the the track straight. All the pieces will then be straight until you change it.

Not trying to build a coaster atm, just a railway to go around the boundary of my park but it keeps going wrong!

Last edited:
what's going wrong? If you point out exactly what's happening, I'm sure we'll be able to help. If you have time, post some pics or a video. Otherwise describe what the issue is so we can give you a solution. I'm more than happy to help you and I know there's loads of awesome people here who would feel the same.

I think Eva wanted the option to have preformed track segments like we had in RCT3 as well as the spline based option that we have in Planet Coaster. As has already been said, the spline system can be used by setting the angle snap to 45 degrees to create a similar track laying set up, but it won't be exactly the same as it was in RCT3. Planet Coaster uses a more advanced method of laying down track for coasters, track rides and transport rides. So Eva, you will just have to try and get used to laying track with or without the angle snap turned on or off.

Eva needs a tuorial. I think its a shame the Devs didnt spend more time on tutorials. PC is more complex then RCT and personally I miss the simplicity of RCT. but PC is a new beast, thats why it needs better tutorials

Last edited:
The tracks for the railroad will be affected by how close you are to changes in ground elevation or how close you are to the park boundary.

I think Eva wanted the option to have preformed track segments like we had in RCT3 as well as the spline based option that we have in Planet Coaster. As has already been said, the spline system can be used by setting the angle snap to 45 degrees to create a similar track laying set up, but it won't be exactly the same as it was in RCT3. Planet Coaster uses a more advanced method of laying down track for coasters, track rides and transport rides. So Eva, you will just have to try and get used to laying track with or without the angle snap turned on or off.

Well not exactly like RCT3 but very similar yes!

Last edited:
Top Bottom