Out of Fuel? - Explorer Rescue Service, The Fuel Rats

Alert Rats, grab your Limpets and power up those totally overcharged hyperdrives!
I feel a power surge fuel lack surge incoming starting 19 Nov!

because,
"[Elite] will be available for free from 19 Nov to 26 Nov."

(and yes I promise I'll brush the dust off my Rattaconda or even Rattalooga for those days ... lack of Ratting time dontchaknow ...)
A fitting Rattatoon (from The Fuel Rats Artist's Collective ...)
42203161462_4cf7a52d2a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah well if Ravenov would have written a post for each and every rescue they've been in, like rats did back in the early days, this forum would have ran out of space ;)

Or actually Rav wouldn't necessarily have as many FLs like they now have, since at least half the time would have been spent on writing here...

Times change and platforms which people hang about change :) The #ratchat at irc is still there, very active and the general hub of all things fuelratty. But I'll try to drop a post here more often from now on :) And sucker others to write too!

All rocking chairs ready!!! Okay, after we wheelchaired off to help some helpless greenhorns in teh next days ... creaky stuff.

I also sometimes miss the good old verbose Spatching times. Where spatching had been a story by itself ... with spatch-specific hailing lines ... you remember? Ofc, a horror movie sometimes, well yeah.

Ah well, brushing the dust off my Ratship to get back in the seat in the next days.

Sucker right here might get back into writing and you never know.....ratting too.

Ooh yeah, the FRAC would welcome moar stories! Shoot!

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Well it's certainly been busy today! The text in Fuelrats was scrolling so fast I honestly felt sorry for the Dispatchers! I was having great difficulty keeping up myself and could only imagine what it must have been like for them! I only completed 2 rescues myself, both in the protected new pilots area - the second one proving to be a bit more erm... challenging.... than usual! I'm sure these odd cases I get are specially chosen for me - some kind of test maybe? LOL I'm getting paranoid now. I know I spent a LONG time with him as various problems arose and even had to repair his hull after he was attacked during the debrief and low-waked away. He had been trying to reach a station on the edge of an asteroid belt in one of the starter systems but kept telling me he was being 'dropped' by being 'too close'. After much headscratching, I managed to find him again and realised he was being mass-locked by the asteroids - as it kept happening to me by then! Eventually I concluded we should try jumping out and back into the system as by now we were coming from an unusual direction, and fortunately that worked - he finally made it to the station where we finished the debrief. I don't know how long I was with him but it must have been getting on for a couple of hours!

Ravenov certainly has my admiration with all those FLs, I can't imagine ever reaching those dizzy heights on the Leaderboard. Though I did get a shock when I checked my own progress as instead of 54 (or now 55) it actually showed 378! Apparently it's a known bug.... oh well. :)

Yesterday set new records. Hold onto your pantaloons when you check this out:

Total cases for yesterday (utc): 506, out of which 455 were successes. Out of successes, 10 cases were playstation, 9 were xb.

The free game rush is real. The failure rate for the period is relatively high too, but that is to be analyzed after the flood. I would suspect people testing the game out with stock life supports and taking their time to figure out what's happening and who to call, before starting to hold breath.

Oh, and we did broke the 90k too.

Ha, my feeling was right! Case flood!

Hemhem "In the light of recent events ..." Squeak this. At the current peak in case load, we seem to have enough rats and enough Spatches. But as soon as we start multi-Spatching, the situation quickly becomes a bit messy if the active Spatches are not experienced and good co-workers. Some veteran Rats critizised that this lead to unneccessarily lost cases/death.

Just an idea to solve this: What about installing a "MetaSpatch"/"OverSpatch" position for such high-load times. An Overseer / highly experienced Spatch grabs the position and assigns Spatches to cases. A Spatch only cares for their assigned cases.

OverSpatch: Only they greet Newcomers. (!prep etc). They assign one of the active Spatches immediately afterwards. Points Client to the Spatch "Your Spatch is XX, listen only to him/her"-style).

Spatches: Everything after that, including !go and !close, is done by the Spatch assigned to the case. But only after being assigned to the case by OS.

BTW, scratch this if this topic has been raised already but missed by me!

Discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/FuelRats/comments/jyt3au Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/FuelRats/comments/jyt3au/metaspatch_overspatch_for_hot_times_as/

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Ha, my feeling was right! Case flood!

Hemhem "In the light of recent events ..." Squeak this. At the current peak in case load, we seem to have enough rats and enough Spatches. But as soon as we start multi-Spatching, the situation quickly becomes a bit messy if the active Spatches are not experienced and good co-workers. Some veteran Rats critizised that this lead to unneccessarily lost cases/death.

Just an idea to solve this: What about installing a "MetaSpatch"/"OverSpatch" position for such high-load times. An Overseer / highly experienced Spatch grabs the position and assigns Spatches to cases. A Spatch only cares for their assigned cases.

OverSpatch: Only they greet Newcomers. (!prep etc). They assign one of the active Spatches immediately afterwards. Points Client to the Spatch "Your Spatch is XX, listen only to him/her"-style).

Spatches: Everything after that, including !go and !close, is done by the Spatch assigned to the case. But only after being assigned to the case by OS.

BTW, scratch this if this topic has been raised already but missed by me!

Discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/FuelRats/comments/jyt3au Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/FuelRats/comments/jyt3au/metaspatch_overspatch_for_hot_times_as/
I think an OverSpatch could be a good idea at such times. I appreciate us 'non-Spatchers' are usually expected to be able to !prep an incoming client, but during the last couple of days this has proved a bit chaotic with several people all jumping in. One person in overall charge I think would be better when it is so busy. I thought the idea of two Spatchers for ODDs and EVENs worked fairly well last night as well. Definitely something to think about though.

Do you need old/retired rats to return to the fray to help manage the workload?
My PC account is in Colonia, and i'm guessing (from a few checks) PS5/4 rats aren't needed to help out?

Is the Fleet Carrier shuttle service working yet? Havent really been keeping up with news.

Check this out, part 2:

Stats from yesterday, 559 cases, out of which 527 were successes. New record, again. Consoles had under 20 cases. Now just waiting for those console Black Friday sales...

The success rate went up from day before, since people started adapting and the odd-even dispaching proved succesful.

Today, at around 19utc (I believe?), we are at 315 cases and rising.

Last edited:
Top Bottom