Out of Fuel? - Explorer Rescue Service, The Fuel Rats

It's a trap!
(I know it's not, but that's what people tell me when I try to help them in game)

If I go to respond to someone I'll want to friend them first so I can verify that they're actually there, and I will show up in an A-rated Anaconda with refuelling probes. If someone wants to summon me to my death in a trap, they'll know they've annoyed the badger.

- - -

Just had a thought based on my recent experience - anyone stranded needs to make sure they do not deplete their reserve tank - you need to open your cargo hatch to take on fuel, which requires power, and you need fuel for power.

Good point; I've added the suggestion that you hibernate (i.e.: log out) to the main page.
When 1.3 is out we should get someone to test a fuelling and see if there are any "gotchas" we should all know about. It would be annoying to go halfway across the galaxy to rescue someone and accidentally blow myself or them up.

Last edited:
Otherwise, how are we going to guarantee payment?

I wouldn't want to be an explorer and have all the other explorers want to kill me on sight for stiffing one of the Fuel Rats.

For my part, I wouldn't really be doing it for the payment, just the pleasure of helping out an explorer, having an adventure, and - sure - a few palladium bars or a couple tons of pizza would make me happy.

When 1.3 is out we should get someone to test a fuelling and see if there are any "gotchas" we should all know about. It would be annoying to go halfway across the galaxy to rescue someone and accidentally blow myself or them up.

I am more than happy to be involved and do the 'out of fuel' side of the testing - I am intrigued to see if it will work when you have zero fuel and no power.

Good point; I've added the suggestion that you hibernate (i.e.: log out) to the main page.

You could call it, going into the stasis pod :)

Got to be all geeky about these things....

This is a great Idea Badger sign me up, I do hope that the Devs keep an eye on this thread so as to perhaps be able too enhance this play style in ship design, modules and perhaps missions in the future.

going exploring without a fuel scoop, very risky. if you top up every time you come to a fuel star.
you wont have this problem. though it is a good idea for those who are starting out from the beginning and are new to the game.
I myself have had to go through the same nasty experience.
I learned from it, like all would.
if you do it repeatedly then you have a serious brain malfunction:eek:

You could call it, going into the stasis pod :)

Got to be all geeky about these things....
When you first log into open or group you are actually in solo until you jump. no fuel = no jump = stuck in solo?

We really need to test this so we can be sure if you need to remain logged in to avoid getting stranded in solo.

When you first log into open or group you are actually in solo until you jump. no fuel = no jump = stuck in solo?

We really need to test this so we can be sure if you need to remain logged in to avoid getting stranded in solo.

Yep, another thing to add to the test list. Won't someone jumping to your location join your instance?

suggestion to OP : would it make sense for stranded pilots to only post location to about 250-1000 LY from their actual location ? (as we can cover 1000LY in less than 40 mins)
This gives :
1. A rough location for us to look up to see if we can attend.
2. Stops idiots from finding the stranded pilot ?

Very much agree with this suggestion.

It might be worth considering any stranded pilot switching over to a Private Group rather than sitting out in Open as a lame duck?

Count me in. Just kitting uo to head out on my third or fourth trip, this should be a long 'un.
Will assist when 1.3 drops and if/when I get back.

Whoops nearly forgot Cmdr Aitken.

Last edited:
This is a great idea.

I have only gone out twice so far, 1st trip was in a cobra Mk 3 to the Palades (something like that) Nebula about 2k travel total, but 2nd trip was a bit further to NGC Nebula, 1/3 the way to Sag A*. was a test run in an ASP Exp.

I nearly ran out of fuel when i left the Arms of the Galaxy and jumped into a Brown dwarf field. Didnt realise until i was quite a way in. luckily i found a scoopable star and got across the field.

few questions though for anyone in Beta:

how much weight does the equipment cost? If not too much i would carry it with me whilst out exploring and be happy to be called on to give aid.
If there is payment, and if i'm on the receiving end, i would have to haul tons of Gold etc with me, which will reduce jump distance. better ideas need to be made in this area.

but apart from that, add me to the list and if im in a close proximity to a stranded soul i will go help. no payment needed for me, just the thought of helping a stranded explorer is payment enough.

Last edited:
I seem to remember it's about 1.3t maybe 2t for the fuel transfer controller then you need limpets. Each limpet can transfer 1ton of fuel if I remember correctly.

Higher class ones get quite heavy but can control more than one limpet.

Last edited:
I seem to remember it's about 1.5t maybe 2t for the fuel transfer controller then you need limpets. Each limpet can transfer 1ton of fuel if I remember correctly.

I am not in-game, how many limpets ? And do you refuel them or one time use ?

Single use I believe, the bigger controllers e.g a1 can control 1 limpet at a time I believe a5 can control 4.

Last edited:
Brilliant, i had a smile on my face when i read this.

You should get Galnet News to advertise for you.

Last edited:
(This will go active when 3.1 drops for general use and fuel probes are available. I will be editing this head-post periodically to add names and will mark it live when fuel probes are available)

This is mostly for explorers (hence it's in the exploration forum) but if you're out of gas and staring at the big button labelled self destruct, you might want to ask here, anyway. Some Fuel Rat might help you.

Take my fully appreciation and reputation for your newly created business case.
I am not in the void (yet) but day is comming I will take my ride to Sag A* and then
it might happen that I need your assistance.

Great Job!

Best Regards,
Miklos

Top Bottom