Out of Fuel? - Explorer Rescue Service, The Fuel Rats

Result of "Excercise Fuel Rat"

First long distance distress hail: CMDR Rusticolus - 13 mins
First Fuel Rat in system CMDR Iron Orchid - 38 mins
Fuel transfer complete - 44 mins

Some pointers:

1. When first recieved a call of distress, please notify your fellow Fuel Rats in this thread your intent to give support. That way other Fuel Rats can either go about their business or turn it into a race ;)

2. Send the person in distress a friend request as soon as possible. This is needed for you to form a wing in order for him/her to turn on the wing beacon so you actually can find him/her. Also there is a great mental boost in actually seeing on the map that help is underway.

3. Unless you are in a small ship ie. sidewinder, or have an exceptionally small fuel tank, there is no need for large extra fuel tanks, as there is usually very little fuel required to get to the nearest scoopable star/station.*

4. Unless the person in distress is in a conflict zone or is being attacked by Thargoids there is no need to have more than a class 1 fuel controller. Time is only of the essence when going to the ship in need. The only real limitation here is the amount of limpets you bring.

*There may be situations on the fringe of our galaxy or in the unholy sea of Aucocks that require special customised fuel tankers or "daisy chaining" of Fuel Rats. In these cases consult your fellow Fuel Rats in this thread.

Video documentation:

EXERCISE FUEL RAT

This concludes Exercise Fuel Rat

Last edited:
Gimi: Sorry, this is already done - watch this space for results.

No worries. I got to test some other stuff that I never got around to in beta.
Don't actually need a spare fuel tank to transfer fuel from what I gather. It acts as an extention of the main tank. In most cases (with an Asp at least) we don't need to carry a second fuel tank for this, you can transfer from your main tank.
Correct?

Hang tight citizen, I'm 8000Ly's away, damaged and will have to buy limpets before getting to you. HELP IS ON THE WAY.

I'm interested in what the story is about how you managed to run out of fuel at basically the center of civilised space.

Heys.

Lots of questions about this refuelling discussion.
Don`t we have to work out the cost of this refuelling service ?

(Some respectful disagreement here; I think you're asking the right questions, I'm not sure my answers are the ones you're looking for. I am not an authority, though...)

I came up with the name "Fuel Rats" in part because of a cartoon I saw long ago, of a "desert rat" - a rat in the desert selling water. It seemed like a good visual and I picture the Fuel Rats as an anarchic collective of wildly disparate CMDRs who have their own reasons and agendas and who sometimes compete and sometimes gouge and other times are nobles. When you call on the Fuel Rats you may get an Imperial Noble in a Clipper or you may get a "used goods re-allocator" from the docks of Lave, in a T-6 held together with broken dreams and beer cans. In that sense I imagine us reflecting the overall randomness and nastiness/glory of humanity. ;)

My ventures as a used goods reallocator and black hole mapper have been very successful so I am rolling in credit (right now) and I cannot possibly drink all my credits if I convert them to beer, so I'm doing this for fun. And for the opportunity to do a bit of role-play!

Rat: "Yo! Gotcher fuel here!" (jumps into system)
Noob in Orca: "Oh, thank goodness!!! It's amazing that you came to rescue us!"
Rat: "Not so fast. My kid's going to university on this."
Noob in Orca: "What do you mean?!"
Rat: "You wouldn't happen to have 20t of palladium bars on ya, would ya?"
Noob in Orca: "No! We're just a sightseeing cruise ship!"
Rat: "Uh oh. (thinks) Are any of your passengers really good-looking?"
Noob in Orca: "This is extortion!!! We're 10kylie from human space and you're extorting me!?"
Rat: "We call it 'encouraging good service' and 'customer relationship management' (in background: 'friendship drive... charging...'")
Noob in Orca: "WAIT! WAIT!!! Would you like to be part owner of a cruise line?!?!?"
Rat: "(cancels drive charge) Now... we are talking..."

Let's keep this simple and anarchistic and evolve if and when we need to. :) Students of history here may recall that during the early days of fire departments, fire-suppression was a competitive business and it was not uncommon for firemen to get in huge fights over who would put out a fire, while the fire burned. I can see a bidding war between rats while the 'customer' listens and fumes.

Can people be trusted to pay up for services rendered and NOT TURN ON YOU AND KILL YOU after you have filled them up ( *IF* they have that capability) ?

That would make for interesting game-play. We can't "name and shame" on the forums but if that ever happens I'm sure we'll discuss it and maybe the next person I refuel, the cost will be: "if you ever see CMDR so-and-so, attack them for me." I do my exploring in my Asp, The Longshot, but I'll do my refuelling in a combat-geared Clipper. If it means it takes me a bit longer to get there, well, the customer can wait. I want to show of my Clipper's excellent paint-job.

Are we going to have some sort of Code of Conduct , Rules for people in this refuelling group ?

I'm not a fan of rules. Perhaps we should keep it simple:

The Fuel Rat's Code of Conduct:

1. I have fuel
  2. You don't
  3. Any questions?

I think we can all follow those simple rules, no?

fuel-rats-4.jpg

Last edited:
I should have checked the forum, I was actually wondering what Anuranium was doing. :)

Anyway, the Me, I'm Counting has been successfully converted into an Exploration Support Vessel, with an auxiliary tank (in case someone gets stranded in the middle of a T Tauri cluster) and eight cute little Fuela Loompas. I'll try to make a test run tomorrow.

I'm not a fan of rules. Perhaps we should keep it simple:

The Fuel Rat's Code of Conduct:

1. I have fuel
  2. You don't
  3. Any questions?

I think we can all follow those simple rules, no?

Rule one at least. Else a whole mischief of rats will end up stranded while trying to help each other. We'd be the laughing stock of the Steam Roadside Assistance group.

No worries. I got to test some other stuff that I never got around to in beta.
Don't actually need a spare fuel tank to transfer fuel from what I gather. It acts as an extention of the main tank. In most cases (with an Asp at least) we don't need to carry a second fuel tank for this, you can transfer from your main tank.
Correct?

Looks that way- As was mentioned earlier as long as you have Auto fuel drones you are fine, no point in having a 64t tank and only 5 drones. So if you are on the way out to rescue someone to preserve jump range if you have a tank don't fill it (and fill nearer the target) or don't bother (this could be problematical if the the target has run out because of lack of scoopables nearby).

I love it! (but aren't naming CMDRs against forum rules?)
I hope non turn to pirating ;0
Should have YELLOW paint jobs as some breakdown services use.

Last edited:
So the larger classes of fuel controllers just hold more limpets I guess. Is the number listed on Shipyard the maximum in action at one time or the maximum you can hold? Does that also mean it takes cargo space?

I would have been there first if my ship hadn't hidden the self-destruct function ;)

So the larger classes of fuel controllers just hold more limpets I guess. Is the number listed on Shipyard the maximum in action at one time or the maximum you can hold? Does that also mean it takes cargo space?

Sort of, its the range they can control the limpets and therefore deliver fuel and the number of limpets they can fire at once - as Anuranium says, size 1 is ample unless in immediate threat. You need cargo space for the limpets.

First Fuel Rat in system CMDR Iron Orchid - 38 mins
Fuel transfer complete - 44 mins

This concludes Excercise Fuel Rat

+1 rep for a brilliantly executed test exercise ... so we know this idea actually works then.

Now we just have to sit tight and wait for a genuine emergency ... *time passes*

So i need to convert one tank to some Cargo space to store limpets. After limpets have been used of refuelling, are they reusable or a ONE time use ?

It's one time use I'm afraid, I believe you transfer 1 ton of fuel with each drone. Again, I recommend that you focus on limpets, and not extra fuel.

Also, relocating the video-documentation of EXERCISE Fuel Rat due to youtube being silly. Please stand by.

Last edited:
Also, relocating the video-documentation of EXERCISE Fuel Rat due to youtube being silly. Please stand by.

Anuranium, that's great stuff. I like your role-play and the theme music was well-chosen!!!

So, have I got this right, the procedure is:
1) Friend the Fuel Rat/Recipient
2) Wing up
3) Fuel Rat gets in system
4) Recipient drops beacon and powers up systems (fuel scoop, shields)
5) Fuel Rat goes to beacon (I enjoyed the ultra-close flyby)
6) Fuel Rat targets recipient and launches drones
7) Done

Looks like he transferred 8 or so... That's how many I will carry from now on. Are we agreed that's a good number?
It doesn't look likely that any given Rat will be doing multiple rescues in sequence, so a rescue-and-reload approach means not needing to haul a large number of probes.

Top Bottom