Out of Fuel? - Explorer Rescue Service, The Fuel Rats

Our Badger Overlord requested a write-up of the incident that I covered a while ago.

A CMDR Barracuda has narrowly escaped death by angry firing squad in his FDL through jumping into the farthest system that he could find in his navigation panel.

Unfortunately he didn't notice the star to be an unscoopable before draining all of his fuel reserves coming there. In his desperation he enabled the rat signal which I immediately responded to - only 1300Ly away from populated space in my Diamondback Explorer, fitted for exploring. My plan was to jump into the first high-tech system that I could find upon reentering the bubble, in order to refit.

Me about halfway to the bubble, one of the CMDRs pursuing CMDR Barracuda managed to find him - albeit only in a Cobra. The rescuee nearly used up his entire fuel reserve in the battle, but managed to destroy the enemy vessel. Logging out and back in to avoid further murder attempts, Barracuda has been blessed by the rat gods through the gift of a sliver of fuel which extended his life by great duration (he really had no fuel when he relogged).

A while later I finally managed to reenter the bubble and refit my ship for a rescue mission before dashing to Barracuda's would-be grave. Arriving at the destination I instructed the rescuee to enable his wing beacon; I swiftly dropped in. Much to our dismay the matchmaking servers didn't seem to want to place us in the same instance, even after repeated attempts. CMDR Barracuda had only very little fuel remaining, a lot less emergency oxygen due to previous draining.

After rigorous attempts to get the instancing to work, I had the idea of the rescuee entering Supercruise for a short amount of time, then dropping back out - which would undoubtedly drain his fuel reserves.

The rat gods were indeed generous on that day - I was allowed to enter the same instance with CMDR Barracuda. I then gently shoved a bunch of fuel drones down his cargo hatch, enough for him to live. Oh and yeah, jump out of the system.

I then demanded my prearranged (it was a bargain so good he didn't even know we decided it until I reminded him after the rescue!) 80 tons of palladium which were swiftly delivered.

CMDR Barracuda reported 1:12 of oxygen left before receiving the fuel.

[1]
[2]

Last edited:
As a tribute and thanks to all The Fuel Rats!

[video=youtube;MxJ4oG3WdQo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJ4oG3WdQo&index=5&list=PLftKRkUbCdKgiMCVnUCkByO-o6jnus6q9[/video]

A group of us travelled to Sagittarius A* recently and one of our number (Cmdr Ol) had joined up with The Fuel Rats. The cargo hold of drones has remained unused for the trip, but we did wonder what they looked like in action. After some spontaneous roleplay of a tumbling ship in serious trouble by Cmdr Ian Norton, a Fuel Rat came to the rescue! Here's the video of that encounter.

Enjoy!

Two fuel rats wait patiently in the dark.

First fuel rat to second fuel rat: "how many fuel rats does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Screenshot_0016 - rats in the dark.jpg

Second fuel rat to first fuel rat: "lightbulb? crap, I brought fuel transfer limpets"

Last edited:
The Alrai sector is definitely a hotspot while over at the reddit refuel forum 2 of my 3 rescues were in that sector. We also got a ratsignal from 1 jump out of Alrai last night that Alec and I responded to. (above image)
Missing on arrival. The ratsignal was triggered by a friend of the OOF Cmdr that hadn't heard from him in a while. Upon receiving contact the friend confirmed that the Cmdr was no longer in need of aid.

Fuel Rat Report

Cmdr Alec Turner

Yesterday blew goats. It was my first day of properly doing "stuff" in my new Python (posthumously named "The don't get cocky kid") and I should have known that Anaconda was death. I didn't and I paid the price (2.6 million to be precise).

Fast forward 24hrs and I'm in a whole new Python named "The Callout Charge". It's 5:20am and we're cruising along the "Silk Road" trade route, having just dropped off 200t of Gallite at Naddoddur Hub (HR 827), when the Ratsignal lights up. Cmdr Dasiro has run out of fuel in COL 285 SECTOR QV-N A36-1. I'm only 8 jumps away and respond immediately. Anuranium is nowhere to be seen. I set course and hit the afterburners. Five jumps later and I realise my mistake. I've completely forgotten that, first and foremost, the thing a rat needs more than anything, I mean really NEEDS, is fuel. And I don't have any! Luckily a quick loop-de-loop of the next star solves my potential embarrassment and I'm back on track.

5:35am and I'm on site. Alas no sign of the stranded commander. Time passes. I explore (I can take this data back to Lembava later). Time passes. I investigate a weak signal source which turns out to be nothing but toxic waste. Jeez I hate this stuff!

6:00am and with no sign of Dasiro and a pressing need to be elsewhere I call for assistance. Cmdr Cpt_Shinobi responds and 10 minutes later we're shooting the breeze in orbit around A36-1. I refuel Shinobi for kicks (hell, I brought fuel all this way, someone might as well have it). I take a photo for the archives, down my coffee and head off.

It's not a wasted trip. I learn not to forget about my own fuel needs. I learn how to wing up, set a wing beacon, and transfer fuel. I also note that powering down any weapons on route to a rescue is probably a good idea. Now all I need is for someone else to run out of fuel.

Do bored firemen pray for fire I wonder?

Last edited:
I really need to dig out a spare laptop and install a free OS on it so I can monitor IRC while exploring... wanders off to see what's available

I am happy to report a successful operation. Cmdr Topteded popped in to IRC and explained he had become stranded in a system that was luckily only 5 jumps from me.

I permanently carry fuel limpets and tea with me so plotted a route and headed on over. Cmdr Topteded was an exemplary customer; we winged up, he dropped his beacon and I was able to navigate straight to it - so no instancing issues.

After successfully transferring fuel I then jettisoned a tonne of tea. Being stranded is no laughing matter and refreshment will surely have been needed.

Mission report: Beornfrið and Python Glædheort successfully rendezvoused with Commander Topteded's Vulture in Ashima and transferred three tonnes of fuel. Commander Topteded was last seen targeting his tonne of tea.

Screenshot_0069.jpg

Screenshot_0070.jpg

Last edited:
Just moments after completing my first ever rescue a second distress call came in and I was closest.

Commander Dech had gotten himself stranded in his Viper after previously having taken a battering in combat. I was able to reach him (after a slight mishap with the details of his exact location) and transfer three tonnes of fuel to the stricken pilot. Although he was aligned to the Empire, I managed to refrain from blowing him to pieces or replacing the fuel with nitroglycerine.

I jettisoned the complementary tonne of tea but sadly Commander Dech did not have enough cargo space to accept it. Rest in peace, tea-cannister.

Mission report: Commander Beornfrið in Python Glædheort successfully rescued Commander Dech from LHS 167. Commander Dech was unable to accept his tea.

View attachment 46816

So that's two successful rescues, yay :) I nearly needed rescuing myself as upon arriving back at my system of departure I had drained my main fuel tank. Luckily it was an M-class star ;)

God damnit and work :(

Guys, those are awesome numbers coming in - word-of-mouth, Galnet and IRC seem to be hitting the mark.

Work's still taking most of my time this week, but I've essentially got the weekend to myself so

"I'm in the zone this weekend, Rats. I'm gonna do some serious running, putting up some big numbers."

You're making me proud you know, I'm welling up, dabbing my eyes man; #manhugs

About the same time as Beonfrid's rescue, I also got called up to save a 2-day old player in a sidey. Visited Dionysis in NTT 48288 and transferred 2t of fuel.
We were investigated by 3 system authorities soon as I dropped into the system. TBH, without my trusty Anuranium providing overwatch, the Master Viper and 2 Competent Eagles would have made mince meat of our poor client. Luckily, scans came back negative and we were allowed to continue unimpeded.

About the same time as Beonfrid's rescue, I also got called up to save a 2-day old player in a sidey. Visited Dionysis in NTT 48288 and transferred 2t of fuel.
We were investigated by 3 system authorities soon as I dropped into the system. TBH, without my trusty Anuranium providing overwatch, the Master Viper and 2 Competent Eagles would have made mince meat of our poor client. Luckily, scans came back negative and we were allowed to continue unimpeded.

Well done and thank you for helping. I would have been able to get to him but alas, would not have had any tea left :D

Top Bottom