Out of Fuel? - Explorer Rescue Service, The Fuel Rats

Trolling --

One other thing .... I had this thought the other day when the events were in train, but I didn't have time to write my usual text-wall because I had to bolt out of the door. Anyway:

I was in #FuelRats and a CMDR came in and fired the ratsignal. Our dispatcher pulled together a rescue and started vectoring several refuellers toward the client, as per SOP. Then, the client declared CASE RED. How exciting! The dispatcher and the fuel rats amped up their game and buckled down to the rescue and ... the client warned that they were low on battery power. In spite of the dispatcher and myself telling them (me, playing "bad cop" by increasing my surliness level) the client kept doing really dumb stuff like logging back in to check their vector from the star, etc. They seemed either confused or stupid. Meanwhile, in #RatChat the dispatcher and some of the other rats were doing the Fuel Rat equivalent of /facepalming about the client. The possibility that the client was trolling us was raised. We couldn't collectively decide if we just had an egregiously goofy client, or someone deliberately being annoying. Then, the client said they were low on battery life. And in spite of being told by our dispatcher to get out of game (GPUs suck up electricity) the client kept logging in to check stuff, etc. It was extremely suspicious. And - sure enough - the client then said their laptop battery had drained and they were logged out and would come back tomorrow. Meanwhile 3 fuel rats were sitting in-system with the client, ready to rescue them.

It was a troll.

But that doesn't matter. Why? Because the Fuel Rats involved handled it amazingly professionally. They just went to go deal with the situation, and were standing by ready to be awesome. The dispatcher was (no doubt!) shaking their head in perplexity, but dispatch kept focused, kept calm, and kept on doing the right thing. In fact, since I was on the sidelines and not dispatch, I was the only Fuel Rat present who said anything critical to the client about their behavior. I was, perhaps, less tactful than I could have been but I didn't get too surly, and dispatch kept the situation cool in spite of my deliberately playing "bad cop."

My point: if it were a drill, that was one of the best-run cleanest drills ever. The troll did a great job of pretending to be a clueless git. You probably have to be a pretty clueless git to do such a great performance. The Fuel Rats did everything exactly right, though.

And that's why I felt I needed to post about this incident. I try hard to remind myself that the Fuel Rats are an emergent phenomenon, but I did feel an amazing surge of almost paternal pride. Watching out evolved system and practices work so well, and watching a bunch of people who take time out their game for no reason other than the glory of the deed - going out of their way to help someone who was trying to waste their time - it was glorious. The dispatcher and the rats in the scenario were a fountain of awesomeness that the poor little troll simply could not irritate. Below the awesome, there was: more awesome. I was, seriously, having problems with some grit that had gotten in my remaining beady eye, and had to blot it with a kleenex. Once.

Frequently on the internet, I see people say "don't feed the trolls." Well, I learned a new thing that day. Which is simply that you can overwhelm a troll with awesome. By just doing your thing so well and thoroughly that they realize that they're wasting their time and they're just another successful exercise in your book.

Well done, my rats, well done!
I salute you
Badger

As 1 of the 3 I would rather be trolled than have someone not ask for our service because of whatever.

Sure being trolled is no fun but the feeling when we lose a client is one hundred times worse.

Disclaimer
This should not be viewed as an invitation to would be trollers:mad:

Trolls, we feed 'em with fuel.

Kerenn: Great job on delivering digests to the mischief. Good stuff there too. Too bad about the instancing, but rats seem to take pride in being able to tackle it. So it continues, it's nothing.

I found some good sturdy (and old) boots while cleaning up the closets, so I passed 'em around little. Getting good coverage 24/7 on all fronts is what I like.

You rats, you doing a helluva good job!

--O/S

Frequently on the internet, I see people say "don't feed the trolls." Well, I learned a new thing that day. Which is simply that you can overwhelm a troll with awesome. By just doing your thing so well and thoroughly that they realize that they're wasting their time and they're just another successful exercise in your book.

Same as when a few of us were in Sol on a similar incident. Personally speaking, I have already committed an amount of my game time to Rat Duty and so they are only people who have time wasted, which appeals to my sense of irony.

Quoting Alex here but obviously in reply to Kerren's wonderful report back too.

I'm more than happy for you to broad stroke it, no need to copy it all if you're going to do the hard work of gathering the information into easy to read bullet points :D
This.

-I've mentioned before a re-fuelling CG would be epic if it could be coded. Re-fuel Jaques station, re-fuel a capital ship etc. I expect it would also be fun to watch unaware players sending the last of their fuel as a CG contribution and having to call us to help :p Ooh, we could even set up a limpet chain to give 1 person crazy contributions!
God yes, a refuelling CG would be epic. It clearly falls outside of the current CG mechanics which are entirely based around delivering stuff (commodities, exploration data, combat bonds) to a station and thus would probably require additional coding, but if Kerren could push for this to happen that would be amazing.

-A way to add everyone in the group to your friends list at once so that I can add every rat instead of doing it part way into a rescue if I haven't raced or rescued with them before.
What I'd really like, and I'm sure this must apply to other groups too, would be a way to categorise my friends, so I can say who's a fuel rat, who'se a client, who's a close friend, who's a bounty hunting/trade/pirate friend, etc, and to be able to bulk message friends in these individual groups (message as in leave a mail that turns up in their comms panel inbox).

Fuelem as capital, yes. To be honest it really doesn't matter where since as above we don't really meet outside of rescues. As you say there are good reasons to make our unofficial home official.
I agree that in one sense a fuel rat "home" is kind of irrelevant since we don't really grind rep to boost the economy of that system (although it would be cool if buying our fuel and limpets there could in some way contribute to its economy), but just to have our name appear in galmap next to Fuelum would be awesome and give us a place in the lore of the game.

Last edited:
On another topic re: groups - it'd be neat if we had the option to be visible to our group. That way fuel rats could all tell where other fuel rats are. It'd make dispatcher's job less exciting, I suppose. So who needs that?

I guess this fits in with my suggestion about categorizing friends. Perhaps if we could then filter which friend icons appear in the galaxy map based on category (i.e. just show me fuel rat friends) that would be the answer here. Of course better would be if we could assign different icons (or colours) to different categories but that's probably a step too far for FD to implement.

- - - Updated - - -

Below the awesome, there was: more awesome. I was, seriously, having problems with some grit that had gotten in my remaining beady eye, and had to blot it with a kleenex. Once.

Well done, my rats, well done!
I salute you
Badger

God damn it, main rep tank empty again. Have some reserve rep.

Last edited:
I had some thoughts about instancing the other day, which I didn't have time to mention (other RL crisis intervened) If someone is interested in thinking this through more, be my guest. This is all kind of half-formed.

When we encounter instancing problems in a CASE RED our usual reaction has been to carpet bomb the area with rats, bounce everyone's connections and hope for the best. I believe that is PLAN C or maybe PLAN D. That may not be the best option, actually. Here's what occurred to me: it appears the matchmaking service may be trying to assign people to instances based on things like network speed and protocols reachable through firewalls, etc. Could it be possible that more rats in the scene make for a higher likelihood that the rats will group in the instance and the client will be determined not to be as compatible? Imagine if we had 3 fuel rats with good high speed connections, and a client with a kind of sketchy ping-time. Might be that the matchmaker server would keep grouping the rats in the same instance and pushing the client to their own. Boom. Dead.

What I guess I am thinking is something like this: next time we have a clear set of instancing problems amd nobody is dying of lack of air, maybe we should poll the client about the speed and quality of their connection, whether they have weird NAT devices or firewalls, etc. Then - instead of dropping multiple rats on them, try dropping just one rat that has the closest comparable connection speed and type (i.e.: group the guys on FIOS or whatever) I bet that if we knew more about the compatability decisions the matchmaking server performs, we could game it and pick and choose who got in instance and who didn't. Maybe PLAN C should be a one-rat attempt with a speed/compatible rat. Just a thought. I have no idea how FD coded this thing.

On another topic re: groups - it'd be neat if we had the option to be visible to our group. That way fuel rats could all tell where other fuel rats are. It'd make dispatcher's job less exciting, I suppose. So who needs that?

I've had similar thoughts before to be honest (being on the wrong end of instancing problems more than once, getting a feel for when things are going awry). The real reason for the 3 rats on scene is more coverage of space than connection though, if the client is unsure of there position in the system 3 rats can spread out and hopefully one will be closer than the others (I know you know this, just reiterating the point).

I definitely agree that it would be worth looking into when we get such problems in the future though; if the client isn't super critical on air then we can work out which rat(s) have a solid connection to the client through in game comms ... In my experience if I can text and voice convo the client I can get into an instance with them as long as they're not hugging a star or buried deep in an asteroid belt. I've had issues in the past where I think it was my (lack of) connection to other rats that kicked me out of the wing, or prevented me from seeing the client.

Fuel Scooping Complete.

IMG_20150917_110822 - Copy.jpg

A6 Scoop, lovely stuff.

Tjaart

Artist - Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
It finally arrived!

Fuel scoop deployed. :-D

I can guarantee you there will be rivers of brew flowing through this. Thanks very much for posting it across the pond.

FuelRatsMug.jpg

And just in general, The Fuel Rats is an awesome group and I have nothing but respect for the positive vibes and brilliant ethos of just helping, no matter what.

Last minute rescues, incredible distances, awesome treks across the deep dark helping total strangers with no expectations of recompense.

You guys simply rock.

o7

It finally arrived!

Fuel scoop deployed. :-D

I can guarantee you there will be rivers of brew flowing through this. Thanks very much for posting it across the pond.

View attachment 62794

And just in general, The Fuel Rats is an awesome group and I have nothing but respect for the positive vibes and brilliant ethos of just helping, no matter what.

Last minute rescues, incredible distances, awesome treks across the deep dark helping total strangers with no expectations of recompense.

You guys simply rock.

o7

You're very welcome !
And you're the one that rocks, we're only humble rodents with a love for all things fuel and snickers.

-

EDIT !

Fuel Rats check this : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=183461

Hutton Truckers will need help for a Hutton Convoy on October 10th, especially the "refuelling" part. When in need of Fuel, who do you call ?

Last edited:
Are there any Rats in the Eastern area of the Galaxy? (assuming Sol is in the Southern section and you look 'North' to the centre)

I'm not in need but I'm not carrying any limpets and need to know if I should head back (presently 16KLY out) before venturing further... the logic being: if no one else is around it might be nice to have someone in the area who can refuel (save another epic journey)

I don't mind dropping back - it'll only cost a day or two of travel and I could do with cashing in what I have so far

helping, no matter what.

That's what makes it all worthwhile. :D

We get people asking why we do this, and everyone's got their own answer. From a philosophical standpoint, I look at it like this: these are our "missions". We just get them from other players instead of NPCs on a BB, and we get to make a real difference to the gameplay enjoyment of real people rather than getting rank or credits.

Keep making the awesome game that makes this possible. o7

That's what makes it all worthwhile. :D

We get people asking why we do this, and everyone's got their own answer. From a philosophical standpoint, I look at it like this: these are our "missions". We just get them from other players instead of NPCs on a BB, and we get to make a real difference to the gameplay enjoyment of real people rather than getting rank or credits.

Keep making the awesome game that makes this possible. o7

The streak of altruism runs deeply through some people and it's as near to a real life situation where we can help people that need it. In public sometimes we find it hard to step forward to help, and the anonyminity that the game affords us can allow us to be the better person we hope we are.

Last edited:
ADMINISTRATRIVIA :

So, Rats, I need your Input. Do we want to claim FUELUM ? Do we want to add a Minor Faction or change one ?
My vision is this : We claim FUELUM, and add "FUEL RATS" as an independent anarchy tocompete with the FUELUM CREW (I've grown attached to them, and nearly fought my Imperials Brethren to free the system once !)

Here's what I've come up with but I wont submit it if you're not on board :

Name of group :
The Fuel Rats

System claimed :
FUELUM

Name of Minor Faction :
Fuel Rats

Type :
Anarchy !

Description :
Looking for Fuel ? You've come to the right place.
Although the Fuel Rats can be found EVERYWHERE in the Galaxy, some of these small rodents with a love for all things Fuel think of this place as a home away from home where they can re-fit and re-stock before heading out in the dark to save another commander from a dry tank and death by asphixiation.

Wollheim Vision (I want to change this to "Badger's Rest" but I don't know if it's a backer-named station, which I think would prevent us from changing the name)

Allegiance :
Independent.

Last edited:
It would seem an odd thing for us to have a "home" other than maybe an edge-case RP thing, we are scattered around the bubble and that, in many ways, is a good thing as it gives us the coverage and the ability to assign in-game time to being "on duty" regardless of where we are are what we were doing before. Purely my opinion I know but once we start down the in-game level of organisation we then automatically have included ourselves in the Minor Faction game mechanics and for me, the beauty of the current Fuel Rats is nobody cares what faction/PP anyone supports, or even what people do when not "on duty".

It would seem an odd thing for us to have a "home" other than maybe an edge-case RP thing, we are scattered around the bubble and that, in many ways, is a good thing as it gives us the coverage and the ability to assign in-game time to being "on duty" regardless of where we are are what we were doing before. Purely my opinion I know but once we start down the in-game level of organisation we then automatically have included ourselves in the Minor Faction game mechanics and for me, the beauty of the current Fuel Rats is nobody cares what faction/PP anyone supports, or even what people do when not "on duty".

I (and a few other old-timer rats) think the same. We rats should just focus on fuel and fuel only.
But come on, an in-game existence ! it means people will probably see us when plotting routes, we get to have our names written in the game code... It is less an anchor to bring us down than a big advertising banner right there !

Top Bottom