Out of Fuel? - Explorer Rescue Service, The Fuel Rats

Ten to go!!
RATS, PLEASE
ask the 50000 client for permission to display his/her CMDR name and ship type (along with system) as the 50000th rescuee. Screenshots of the Rescue db appreciated.
Please spread this in ratchat. Thanks!
Squeak!

Last edited:
Ten to go!!
RATS, PLEASE
ask the 50000 client for permission to display his/her CMDR name and ship type (along with system) as the 50000th rescuee. Screenshots of the Rescue db appreciated.
Please spread this in ratchat. Thanks!
Squeak!

If you like, I could run out of fuel and make it a good 'un.

I'm only 65,572LY from Sol. Shouldn't take you long to get to me :)

50k Rescues completed!!
17:42 Game Time. First Limpet by Ravenov. Sharru Sector LS-TB3-0
YAY!!
(I got second limpet on case 49999 together with frist Limpeteer Dystopia :) )
xURb8aM.jpg

Last edited:
Wow; well done Fuel Rats!!!

I think I've used your services 4 times now - including a rescue due to the noobie trick of forgetting to outfit a fuel scoop on a brief return to the bubble and an aborted rescue when I realised I was filtering scoopables..

Please carry on doing the great job you're respected for..

o7 Cmdrs

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Does make we wonder how quite so many of us manage to run out of fuel tho' …

Well... on my original character, Flossy, I was an alpha backer and started in an explorer build Cobra III, so never had any issues with fuel. Of course, at first nobody needed fuel and all our ships flew automagically without it. Then, at some point - can't remember exactly when - fuel was introduced and we had to start buying it. For a long time, buying a fuel scoop never entered my head as I never really went far and always managed to refuel at a station. Then, I think it might have been a Hutton 'convoy' event where a fuel scoop was advised. I'd never scooped fuel before and was extremely nervous about how to approach a star in order to do so. I think this may have contributed to my two crashes into a star on that event which unfortunately leaves me forever being reminded, especially in The Hutton Truckers Song which contains the line "Flossy always seems to fly into the sun"!

Anyway, after a while I created a second account (Flossy2), having given up waiting for multiple commanders on my alpha backer account - and of course started in a basic sidewinder. Until then, fuel had never been a worry but I was alarmed to notice how quickly the smaller tank emptied and that the fuel bar was a dotted rather then solid line. I did try to keep an eye on fuel consumption, but one day I was paying too much attention to finding my way somewhere with the limited jump range - and suddenly realised I was almost out of fuel! I had heard of The Fuel Rats by then and with great trepidation looked up how to call them. I felt I should have known better but I was simply not used to such a small ship LOL.

Within minutes help arrived with a bang as my rat dropped out of SC and started firing at me! At first I panicked that I'd fallen into some kind of trap.... but then seeing the fuel received message appear I let out a huge sigh of relief. After all, I'd been asked to relog into Open play which I was not used to, so was extremely nervous to start with!

That was my one and only time I ran out of fuel - though I have come close once or twice since then! Now more experienced, I was venturing further afield and still trying to get used to scooping fuel safely.... never quite sure if I should scoop after every jump or wait until the fuel was very low and fill up in one go. If I'd realised then how much difference a large scoop made I'd have bought one sooner I think. I became used to checking ahead for what looked like scoopable stars - still not knowing anything about filtering them - and sometimes got caught out by T Tauris, wondering why no fuel was being scooped and at the sime time why was I getting so hot? :D

More recently I started using Neutron stars and for the first time in years my tank was getting low with every jump; before getting critcally low I'd nervously check the galaxy map (with filters now always turned ON!) to find a scoopable star to jump to with my next boost before rejoining the highway. Up to now I've travelled thousands of LYs without any fuel mishaps, but I can quite see how easy it would be to get distracted by shinies or not pay attention due to watching youtube and suddenly find yourself stranded.

So, whether just starting out in a Sidewinder, or exploring the galaxy in a bigger ship and being more experienced, it can be very easy to end up out of fuel. :)

Top Bottom