Out of Fuel? - Explorer Rescue Service, The Fuel Rats

People, why deny us fun? Why you think you are a bother?... We aren't refuelling people because it's hard, or bothersome, or takes time - we do it because we genuinely enjoy it.
Indeed we do! :) The most complicated are probably among those which offer most fun (well, apart from tech-related struggle like last time when I sat in System and the )(&(=)(// game/connection denied me to be winged up with client ... who presumably just sat, invisibly, in front of my Rattalooga's nose ...)

So indeed, please don't self-destruct. Let the Rats have fun ^,^/

So what's the Arx earning potential as a Fuel Rat: anyone want to share how much they've made over a week just ratting?

Apart from jumps, do you actually get anything for refuelling another CMDR? I've not really been on since the original Sept update, as it broke too many things (on PS4), so waiting for when it's mostly fixed again.

Write here where you're stuck and I'll get to you. Do you only need fuel or hull repairs?

My fuel is fine. Hull is fine. Rudder is shot and locked yawing to starboard. In orbit over Beagle 2 (glad I wasn't on the surface!)

You wouldn't happen to have the contact information for the Rudder Rats, would you? 😵

Sorry this is a reply to an old post, but interested to know was your virtual rudder stuck in game or was your flight stick literally broken? (like mine was)... I had to take it apart and physically repair the mechanism, which I did manage using a pair of nail clippers and a disposable lighter.... good for another million ly now I hope.

So what's the Arx earning potential as a Fuel Rat: anyone want to share how much they've made over a week just ratting?

Apart from jumps, do you actually get anything for refuelling another CMDR? I've not really been on since the original Sept update, as it broke too many things (on PS4), so waiting for when it's mostly fixed again.

I make 1 arx as other for each client I refuel

Sorry this is a reply to an old post, but interested to know was your virtual rudder stuck in game or was your flight stick literally broken? (like mine was)... I had to take it apart and physically repair the mechanism, which I did manage using a pair of nail clippers and a disposable lighter.... good for another million ly now I hope.

It was a calibration issue that I found a fix for.

Elite predicts the future again: today cars, give us a thousand years and it'll be spaceships!

"Rats have mastered the art of driving a tiny car, suggesting their brains are more flexible than we thought. … Lambert and her colleagues wondered if rats could learn the more sophisticated task of operating a moving vehicle."

Y'know, I was fortunate enough to witness the birth of the rats and the first fumbling steps surrounding this amazing new game play idea of fuelling other players mid-game and all it implied (Gawd we were so naive). Even took part in the initial training / test runs.. which in my case involved a sidewinder attempting to shag my Asp. Okay... that sounded weirder than I imagined.
To see where this has evolved, to what it's become... I can honestly say that emergent game play on this scale is unique in any MMORPG, just for sheer altruism: the rats rule supreme.
For the Mischief!

All kidding aside I think Elite Dangerous is unique in creating a situation where you can't do it your self. Other MMORPG groups suffer because they can't offer a service that players can't perform themselves. These groups never gain traction.
Running out of fuel has real in game consequences. Fdev played a blinder. Joining in Jan 3302 it was heavily stressed to me the importance of giving the client the best service we could. That message has carried on down the years and I think that is why we get the calls. I have met so many great clients and learned so much about the game talking to all of you.
You can go on our web site and press the chat option to hang out and swap space shanties too.

Ah and today got a dozen done!

Was pretty regular gig. Client came in, disconnected and while I was waiting about in the target system, they came back and bit by bit got the necessities done and I was able to fire them precious limpets.

Flew the trusty old Cobra Mk3 ratter (bought from Lave back in 3300). Client was in Viper Mk3 and didn't know about the dotted line before the rescue. Continued on happily with their size 1 scoop to the next bounty hunting tour.

Last edited:
So this went down last Thursday!
(And for the record: I still haven't ran out of fuel. Never gonna damsel without being really truly stranded!)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtrVbGho79Y
Saw it yesterday ... nice job! That code red was particularly nicely judged I thought. I did spend half the time wondering if Paige was going to jump to the client's system or simply attempt to supercruise there! 😂 I also liked how literally she took the instruction to not point at the client. All this caution ... I miss the good old days when we'd come swooping in, boost in a big FA off arc around the client's ship, let off a cloud of chaff in their windcsreen while texting "woo hoo, the fuel rats have arrived baby!" and yes ... ok ... sometimes ... crash into them! It really only was once or twice tho (three or four tops).

Saw it yesterday ... nice job! That code red was particularly nicely judged I thought. I did spend half the time wondering if Paige was going to jump to the client's system or simply attempt to supercruise there! 😂 I also liked how literally she took the instruction to not point at the client. All this caution ... I miss the good old days when we'd come swooping in, boost in a big FA off arc around the client's ship, let off a cloud of chaff in their windcsreen while texting "woo hoo, the fuel rats have arrived baby!" and yes ... ok ... sometimes ... crash into them! It really only was once or twice tho (three or four tops).

I remember when Kilo363 or exeste's Conda dropped directly onto the foredeck of my Conda, straight from supercruise. It scared me so much that I almost fell off my chair. :D

Had to save a german miner Cutter without fuel scoop stranded right next to an outpost in a remote system yesterday. Of course he couldn't land there, and the system was very remote. I had to empty my limpet stock on him (bout 20), land at the outpost, fuel and restock and then fire another 24 limpets at him. Chrisberry was there too (he fired first limpet btw) and fired about 16 limpets himself. Only then he had enough to reach a system with a station big enough for landing. This was the first time I had to pump that much fuel into a client's ship, or even restock on limpets mid-rescue. Quite a fun experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom