Ships Outfitting - Why So Hard?

More an observation than a grumble, but why oh why does the game make it so hard to kit out a new build ship? Decided it was time to move up to a Cobra Mk III from my Adder and kit it out for deep core mining. Well it seems just about every shipyard is incapable of supplying better than D or E rated equipment (in some cases just E) and the only way to find where the mining parts are sold was to look it up externally on line. I've landed at numerous stations since and the same issue with outfitting - just can't get hold of A or at least B rated parts (principally for the power plant, distributer, thrusters and FSD).

As this is a fresh Cmdr profile I don't have access to Jameson Memorial, not for a long time and the Catch 22 to that being the easiest path is Elite in Exploration via a mining ship to get the credits for an explorer build...

Why in a game when you can travel half way across the galaxy in the time it takes a train to go from London to Bristol and a world full of massive trader ships are, 1. The necessary parts not on sale at least on one station in each system or 2. A game mechanic to "order" the parts you need to customise your new ship but with a built in delay while the dealer sources them.

Having to fly round aimlessly landing at random stations to see if they have the parts or looking it up on the real world internet is in the case of the former a huge grind and in the latter totally destroys the illusion of being in the 34th century having to use 21st century information systems.

More an observation than a grumble, but why oh why does the game make it so hard to kit out a new build ship? Decided it was time to move up to a Cobra Mk III from my Adder and kit it out for deep core mining. Well it seems just about every shipyard is incapable of supplying better than D or E rated equipment (in some cases just E) and the only way to find where the mining parts are sold was to look it up externally on line. I've landed at numerous stations since and the same issue with outfitting - just can't get hold of A or at least B rated parts (principally for the power plant, distributer, thrusters and FSD).

As this is a fresh Cmdr profile I don't have access to Jameson Memorial, not for a long time and the Catch 22 to that being the easiest path is Elite in Exploration via a mining ship to get the credits for an explorer build...

Why in a game when you can travel half way across the galaxy in the time it takes a train to go from London to Bristol and a world full of massive trader ships are, 1. The necessary parts not on sale at least on one station in each system or 2. A game mechanic to "order" the parts you need to customise your new ship but with a built in delay while the dealer sources them.

Having to fly round aimlessly landing at random stations to see if they have the parts or looking it up on the real world internet is in the case of the former a huge grind and in the latter totally destroys the illusion of being in the 34th century having to use 21st century information systems.
For a lore reason, They probably don't have the engineering expertise to install the more advanced modules on the ship, or the traders in the system see no point in stocking X because too few want to use X in the system.

I found Delphi had a fair selection of parts.

For a lore reason, They probably don't have the engineering expertise to install the more advanced modules on the ship, or the traders in the system see no point in stocking X because too few want to use X in the system.

I found Delphi had a fair selection of parts.

That's a reasonable idea until you find a station that sells higher rated stuff than what you require.

I've just moved one account to Colonia and I'm trying to build a scavenger Adder. I've got most of it done, but still looking for D rated sensors/life support (trying not to use external info). I've found stations that do B/C rated but not D.

Also, if I can put a module in storage and then have it shipped to me at another station, why can't I order it from another station?
e.g. I want a C2 gimballed pulse but outfitting only has C3 gimbal or C2 fixed. Why can't I order a C2 gimbal and wait for it to arrive? 🤷‍♂️

If you decide not to use external sources it's you making yourself a hard life, not the game ;)
It's like buying stuff in the 1980s, get the first one and just don't ask if there is a better alternative or drive around from seller to seller :)
So luckily we 'invented' price check and test sites on the internet which helps us to get the TV we want for the best price...
But you are right it's unbelievable that Amazon isnt around in the 34th century ;)

There is actually a VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION:

Earn an Elite rank. That's all, it doesn't matter whether you earn Elite rank in trade, exploration or combat but once you achieve Elite rank in something you get access to the Shinrarta Dezhra system and the Jameson Memorial space-station.

Jameson Memorial station has all the ships and all the standard modules for all the ships. You get a 10% discount, too. Not just on modules but on ships as well. A 10% discount does not sound like a lot until you want to purchase an 8A Fuel Scoop or Composite Armor for your Imperial Cutter. o7

besides the game mechanic of not making everything easy to do, which would make the game pointless..
One of the things the game does do is makes you wander around, in doing so you will learn of better system and better stations.
Even though it has been mentioned that high tech could help, not all high tech can help, as we know some hi tech is too hi and not necessarily good for all things for all ships, the key is knowing this and when that fails to help what next.
Next is industrial, so between hi tech and industrial you can get most things you might need.
In wandering you might then also notice a system rated for High Tech might also have Industrial stations, party because the system rating is the systems max, but does not mean they also don't have Industrial or the low tech.
Also wandering might prod a person into making an occasional memo, for example planetary bases rated as military or colony or tourist or extraction based might often hold totally unexpected treasures.

Sure there is. It's called Jameson Memorial.

As I said in my OP - this is a new Commander profile, one of the things I miss about binning my previous avatar is the access to JM!

Anyhow, I have since discovered Garay in Deciat is pretty good and close to Farseer once I start hitting up the engineering.

The point you fail to make (here but said in another thread) is that you were in the Noob-Zone - the outfitting there is deliberately inhibited to attempt to protect new commanders from experienced seal-clubbers clear-saving and building capable ships in the zone. It has the drawback that many modules as just not available at all (as you note in that other thread).

Top Bottom