Over Four years since release and Frontier still hasn't fixed the Vive scaling issue...

Every time I load up this game I am disappointed that the world scale issue still persists. With the Vive, and now my Vive Pro, I have the body of a small child and everything feels much too small.

Compare this to my wife's Rift, where the character body is appropriately sized, the world is appropriately sized, and cockpits are large and cavernous. It is a completely inferior experience on Vive/Vive Pro. I see this mentioned from time to time here on the forums but many people seem oblivious to this. I've wined about it for years now but FDEV have yet to even comment on the issue, and no third party fix exists.

For a game where immersion is so central to the experience, having the world scale completely off pretty much ruins the experience.

Every time I load up this game I am disappointed that the world scale issue still persists. With the Vive, and now my Vive Pro, I have the body of a small child and everything feels much too small.

Compare this to my wife's Rift, where the character body is appropriately sized, the world is appropriately sized, and cockpits are large and cavernous. It is a completely inferior experience on Vive/Vive Pro. I see this mentioned from time to time here on the forums but many people seem oblivious to this. I've wined about it for years now but FDEV have yet to even comment on the issue, and no third party fix exists.

For a game where immersion is so central to the experience, having the world scale completely off pretty much ruins the experience.

Have you tried the below?

If you use SteamVR you can easily adjust your IPD
  • Start SteamVR.
  • Go to your internet browser and enter:
  • In the "Type a command" input box (bottom of the page) enter:
    • settings steamvr.ipdOffset -0.00XX
  • Note: The offset value is in meters, if you want to reduce IPD by 3mm, enter 30 there - i.e
    • settings steamvr.ipdOffset -0.0030
  • Restart SteamVR.
I set an offset of -0.0030 in mine and now with my Vive Pros physical IPD set to my actual IPD the games scale actually looks correct. Without using the above offset things look a little on the small / thin side.

PS - The consumer version of the HTC Vive was released on 7 June 2016, so just a touch over 3 years ago ;)

Last edited:

They don't care about VR as much. They consider it a low priority.

Have you tried the below?

Well what do you know, this actually worked. Flipping up my headset and looking down at my arms and then my ingame arms, they are pretty much exactly the same size. I adjusted this value to extremes to make sure I wasn't making it up and positive values shrink the world and negative values increase the size of the world. I can't believe I haven't known about this all this time... I don't yet know what the downsides to this are or if I will develop some sort of eye strain but the initial results are promising.

To you, I wish you all the good things in life

Last edited:
Well what do you know, this actually worked. Flipping up my headset and looking down at my arms and then my ingame arms, they are pretty much exactly the same size. I adjusted this value to extremes to make sure I wasn't making it up and positive values shrink the world and negative values increase the size of the world. I can't believe I haven't known about this all this time... I don't yet know what the downsides to this are or if I will develop some sort of eye strain but the initial results are promising.

To you, I wish you all the good things in life

No worries mate, I only stumbled across this a couple of weeks ago myself, I did post it in another thread but useful information tends to get burried quite quickly. The workaround seems to work well for me and I've not noticed any adverse effects myself - hopefully the same will be true for you also.

As well as this works it is obviously no real substitute for an actual 'world scale' slider in game which would resolve the problem without forcing people to look for obscure settings in SteamVR.

You can also edit the config files manually before starting SteamVR. The file you need is:
{Steam Install Directory}\config\steamvr.vrsettings

The setting you want to edit is steamver:ipdOffset

Mine looks like the following:
JSON:
   "steamvr" : {
      "activateMultipleDrivers" : true,
      "allowAsyncReprojection" : true,
      "allowInterleavedReprojection" : false,
      "background" : "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\SteamVR\\resources\\backgrounds\\night_mountains.png",
      "basestationPowerManagement" : true,
      "doNotFadeToGrid" : true,
      "enableHomeApp" : false,
      "forceFadeOnBadTracking" : false,
      "installID" : "17613157252782615991",
      "ipdOffset" : -0.0040000000260770321,
      "lastVersionNotice" : "1.5.7",
      "lastVersionNoticeDate" : "1560301760",
      "mirrorView" : 1,
      "mirrorViewGeometry" : "-1713 183 1604 908",
      "mirrorViewGeometryMaximized" : true,
      "playAreaColor" : "#FFFFFF00",
      "showStage" : true,
      "supersampleManualOverride" : true,
      "supersampleScale" : 1.5
   },

Hello gentlemen,

this is exactly what I was looking for... I have a question though... is this setting (settings steamvr.ipdOffset -0.0030) going to affect all other VR apps and games?

The first impression I had when I started Elite in VR was exactly this: OMG, I am a child !
I kinda got used to it, but I cant wait to try out messing with this setting...

Thank you! Best regards, Karlos

When you look like a child, do the other objects seem like 'toys'.

I game in 3D and if you increase convergence you get this weird toyification. When it is high enough it can look like the game is using super high detailed toy models. I think it is really cool anyway. :)

Same on WMR, but the WMR portal has a slider for it (as it varies person to person). I assume the Vive has something similar?

Same on WMR, but the WMR portal has a slider for it (as it varies person to person). I assume the Vive has something similar?
That's IPD, which is not the same as IPD offset. I changed the offset to .003, then .004 (thanks to CylonSurfer's post) for my Lenovo Explorer and the results are breathtaking. The scale was always off. What I'm noticing most is believable distances. Ships now look the size they're shown to be on that nifty YouTube channel. Also planets look staggering even at Super Cruise speeds. I read CylonSurfer's post a few days back and didn't respond until today, as I wanted to be sure that it wasn't a placebo. The difference is night and day. Try it.

Can anyone explain what the number means please?

CylonS said -.0030 to reduce by 3mm

JonathanE said -.0220 to notice a difference. Implies an offset of -22mm!

Is that a typo and should be .0022? Or is 8t something else

I'm a Vive pro user since launch who'd forgot how much scale bugged him till reading this 😁

No, I actually tried -0.0030 first and saw no difference and tried -0.033 and I looked like Ant-Man when he gets really big :) -0.022 looks better, but is just a little too be... I'll be trying different values at the weekend to get it closer, but the world looks great now, and the inside of the ships look more in proportion too.

*Edit - I also tried 0.022 as a positive value and I looked about 3 foot tall :p

Top Bottom