Palins research centre has been attacked by Thargoids

Is that not a Col Trautmann quote from a Rambo film, rather than natures universal plan?
I agree with the principle anyway.
😁

o7
I just saw it on steam community, and the guy had a thargoid interceptor as a face XD. I actually didn't know where the actual thing came from

sollisb

Banned
Look mate, you’re just salty that the game story is advancing (albeit only tiny bit) and you got caught with your metaphorical pants down. Not our fault, not FDEVs fault - it’s yours. You wiped your save. Mixing up the status quo will always inconvenience someone, and this time it’s you. Next time it might be me. But that’s the nature of things and that’s ok. Stop trying to bring everyone down because you’re in a bad way.

Let's get a few things straight.... What story exactly? The one where alien incursions happen when the servers are offline and suddenly when they come back online, the Thargoids have arrived? If anyone calls that good game design they need their head examined and should never be let near any form of game design ever again.

It's a game marketed as 'blaze your own trail' yet, at every corner you might like to turn on that trail, some 'game designer' with the imagination of a brick, throws a curve-ball, that never actually makes any sense, in your way.

Then we have the game mechanic of let's make it harder. Fine. Even for the newbies. Oh no, wait we'll add a nice learner system. When they leave that we'll hammer them with engineered NPCs and all the other bug ridden infestations we have collected since launch.

But they can wing up!! Oh right! It's an MMO. Well they missed out on the coding required to make it 'multiplayer'.. They must have missed out on the 'NET topology for MMOs' lessons. Cause the current moronic design is '80 and not fit for purpose. So that tosses MMO right in the bin. But they can multiplay in their ships! Oh right. So they can exploring together? Well.. No.. not exactly.. They can travel but they won't get any experience. Why? eh.. shrug.. dunno mate.. They can trade and share the profits? Well.. kinda.. It's a funny one.. Combat? Hell ye! They can fire the turrets!! Ok... So they can gang up and have huge PvP fights, like 10 on 10? 20 on 20? meh.. no.. not really... That'll crash the instance mate, wouldn't advice it.. So which part is MMO? Hello darkness my old friend...

Well let's look at massive, there are lots of system to explore and planets to land on and walk around, oh wait, that's another game developed by a small in-house team, not Elite developed by a team of 100+. Oh no, they give us the same ad-nauseam planets time after time.

Then we have engineers, where to get grade 5 modules you need to collect grade 5 materials. That's fine. Except... Those grade 5 material are so rare and to be uncollectible. It is so bad! They had to add a broker so you could swap materials. Show me one other MMO [sic] that requires this?

And then we can have a little look at random. Used as the common get out of coding real content card. I swear, I've been coding since '79 and I have never, ever, seen randomness used so much in a game. I think the 'exponential curves' class was also skipped in Frontier.

And crucially, in every MMO, we have the crux of all, 'Balance'. Except in Elite of course. Elite is so Elite is doesn't need balance. Let's let newbies mine ore and have the biggest ships in the game within 24 hrs playtime. Then let's make trading obsolete as an income generator, and let's make exploration, while grindy, be very simplistic.

And finally, to the Thargoids. A main game-driving story. Hidden in a USS. This story line, has more curves than pro-baseball game. But unlike the baseball-game, the Thargoids story moves once a week. And makes as much sense as on a bull.

Elite is graphically astounding. It is living on it's procedural galactic generation, with the addition of exploration and trading, both of which have been over-shadowed by the design choice to make mining simple and so rewarding as to render all else not worth doing except for a bit of fun. And let's not forget that the generator is 1980's design, and the trading pre even that. Elite '84 was a game pulling ideas from a game before it.

And now in 2019, some 35 years later, the very best they can muster between them is an alien race only ever to act, once a week, while the servers are down.

dxm55

Banned
Real time attack on Palin? FINALLY! That's how I imagined Thargoid war would look like from day one. It only took them what, 2 years? :p

Real time huh?
Did anybody actually SEE the attack on Palin's base?

Or was it just abandoned at the next server tic..... again? 😏

sollisb

Banned
Palins research facility currently IS under Thargoid attack. The place is swarming with scouts. Go there see for yourself.

Are they firing at the station? Did you see them actually attacking the station? Or like you were asked did it happen sometime the server was offline, and when it came back, lo and behold, the station was under attack, albeit not being fired on by anyone.

Are they firing at the station? Did you see them actually attacking the station? Or like you were asked did it happen sometime the server was offline, and when it came back, lo and behold, the station was under attack, albeit not being fired on by anyone.

Ah it’s great having days off at the moment, listening to ‘The Fall’ having a morning coffee whilst reading posts by grumpy men. Keep it up! Only 20 years left till retirement.. Then I can join in on a regular.

sollisb

Banned
Ah it’s great having days off at the moment, listening to ‘The Fall’ having a morning coffee whilst reading posts by grumpy men. Keep it up! Only 20 years left till retirement.. Then I can join in on a regular.

Oh we're allowed personal attacks now are we ? Great! I notice you didn't actually address the comment. Maybe that's a thing of the young folks these days, or maybe they're too blinded in their avidness to support anything they currently follow. Or maybe it was a meagre attempt to flame me, in which case, bring it on, I'd be happy to educate you.

I can deal with things happening after the tic or cycle reset if stuff actually happens, because, I like stuff happening. Dynamic occurrences are rare in ED, and even if its dictated at regular intervals I don't care as long as it happens.

sollisb

Banned
I can deal with things happening after the tic or cycle reset if stuff actually happens, because, I like stuff happening. Dynamic occurrences are rare in ED, and even if its dictated at regular intervals I don't care as long as it happens.

It's your game. Respect!

Oh we're allowed personal attacks now are we ? Great! I notice you didn't actually address the comment. Maybe that's a thing of the young folks these days, or maybe they're too blinded in their avidness to support anything they currently follow. Or maybe it was a meagre attempt to flame me, in which case, bring it on, I'd be happy to educate you.

Educate me? 😂

Have a coffee mate, at 41 I definitely don’t feel young. Thanks for the compliment though. You should probably check out ‘The Fall’ and Mark E Smith - RIP, then my post will make sense... I guess you are not from the UK, I wont hold that against you, this time....

It's your game. Respect!

I just want stuff to actually happen- ED has been so static for so long even a plate falling off a high shelf is amazing. It is jarring that these things happen 'off camera' (mostly) but if they were ongoing all the time I think few people would care.

Oh, you expected that some commanders who at a singular moment would have happened to be at Palins Research Center would have experienced how the Thargoid Attack Squad would have come in form orbit to attack the Installation and then experience a full realtime evacuation scenario??? And all this for an Interstellar Initiative? Right on commander, take your expectations high. But not too high.

This would have been a singular event nice for those few commanders involved. For your information, this has not happend in game. This happened during the weekly maintainance.

Still the fight is here, around the Installation. Thargoids are constatly waking in and out, you can figh them, they also attack you - it's a definitiv improvement form the usual burning station event, where all of the attack happens during weekly maintanance.

And also on the evacuation ships there is a lot going on. The ships are taking damage. Players can try to fix hull-breaches on the megaships. This is something I have not yet seen in this game. Definitve a good improvement and a step ahead.

But however, best way to find your opinion: go there and look for yourselve.

I see the glass is half full on this occasion.

Last edited:
From what i have seen in a Stream, the Scouts spawn near the ground and then escape.
Is that correct?

If so...what if it isnt an attack at all? What if they are just escaping from the base because some kind of secret Thargoid research went wrong?

When you've already made the 5k journey, but Palin resettles in the Noob Zone:

51Cql0R.gif

🤭

From Pilot's Federation (FDev): Out of concern for Professor Palin's safety, a megaship has been dispatched to safely transport him to the Arque system.

In the Bubble, Alliance controlled: https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/7551/name/Arque
From there he invents a new strategy to defeat the thargoids. It begins with a cryto currency named for the system he found refuge in named Arx. Something to reenergize the thargoid fighting economy. A cunning plan to dazzle the thargoids with colourful ships and weapon colors because we all know that the thargoid's true weakness is ... fashion.

It looked like the majority of the thargoid signals in Maia was located around the black hole, didn't see anyone mention it here but it might be a good time to put on the tinfoil hats

From there he invents a new strategy to defeat the thargoids. It begins with a cryto currency named for the system he found refuge in named Arx. Something to reenergize the thargoid fighting economy. A cunning plan to dazzle the thargoids with colourful ships and weapon colors because we all know that the thargoid's true weakness is ... fashion.

Too right. When spacelegs hit this is going to be what greets the Thargoids in FPS....pulse paintjob hairbands!

Top Bottom