Panther Clipper, Cheezy Please

Panther clipper

Size 9 powerplant(if FDev will ever make it a thing, which they need to, otherwise this ship would be low power)
Size 8 thrusters
Size 8 FSD
Size 9 LS (again, if it's going to be a thing)
Size 8 Distributor
Size 8 sensors
4 size 8 compartments
2 size 7 compartments
2 size 6 compartments
5-7 size 5 compartments
6-8 size 3 compartments
Size 1 compartment
4 huge hrdpts
5 large hrdpts
2 small hrdpts
10 UM

Can you please please please bring out the Panther Clipper, it will be a game changer for traders and a long awaited trading ship for cargo runs and mission based.

Thank you in anticipation
I want this ship to be the reason people use multicrew. You shouldn't be able to fly it without at least 2 NPC crew but it's more effective the more crew you have, especially a full player wing plus full npc crew. This ship should be set up to compete with star trek bridge crew and meant to consolidate the wing experience into one ship without losing effectiveness. It should only be dockable at the capital ship ports because of how huge it is. So just like how having a large ship gets rid of the outpost experience, likewise would a huge ship eliminate the coriolis experience.

Panther clipper

Size 9 powerplant(if FDev will ever make it a thing, which they need to, otherwise this ship would be low power)
Size 8 thrusters
Size 8 FSD
Size 8 Distributor
Size 8 sensors
4 size 8 compartments
2 size 7 compartments
2 size 6 compartments
5-7 size 5 compartments
6-8 size 3 compartments
Size 1 compartment
4 huge hrdpts
5 large hrdpts
2 small hrdpts
10 UM
And here's the overhype again. No, it's a freighter. You'll be lucky if it even gets one large hardpoint, and the plant will probably be size 7, distributor might even be a 6. And those internals ? it's no capital ship. You might have the size 8 and 7 ones right, but expect a lot less of the others.

And here's the overhype again. No, it's a freighter. You'll be lucky if it even gets one large hardpoint, and the plant will probably be size 7, distributor might even be a 6. And those internals ? it's no capital ship. You might have the size 8 and 7 ones right, but expect a lot less of the others.
It's just a guess. But how are you so sure it's a trader?

Assuming the Panther Clipper barely fits a large pad the main problems would be shields (needing class 7 or 8 to protect such a large ship) and energy (to power shields, engines, weapons...). At possibly double the weight of a Imperial Cutter it would move like stuck in frozen molasses but might carry a dozen medium weapons with few overlapping fire arcs (mine lauchers for everyone?).
One additional way to make it good as a trader but bad at everything else would be to give it 5 or 6 size 8 internals (for shields and cargo) but otherwise only some size 1 for docking computer and so on. Or give it 2 or 3 size 9 internals and only cargo racks are in size 9.

All good points I just want the dam thing to come out, its been too god dam long already. Give players what they are asking for in regards to ships.

Panther clipper

Size 8 thrusters
Size 8 FSD
Size 8 Distributor
Size 8 sensors
4 size 8 compartments
2 size 7 compartments
2 size 6 compartments
5-7 size 5 compartments
6-8 size 3 compartments
Size 1 compartment
4 huge hrdpts
5 large hrdpts
2 small hrdpts
10 UM

Imma just going to leave these here:
These are a pair of old Coriolis builds that I spent a bit of time theory crafting. The basic idea was to make a version of the PC that was fairly reasonable (i.e. no invincible shields, no mounting multiple huge hardpoints, no 2000 ton cargo capacity, no out-multiroling the conda, etc...) and could be added to the game without the need to add any new game mechanics or modules. Essentially, what I came up with was:
  • 1400T hull
  • Base speed 100 m/s, boosts to 160 m/s
  • Base roll, pitch and yaw of 20 deg/s, 15 deg/s, and 5 deg/s respectively
  • Base hull strength of 540 with a hardness of 70
  • Base shield strength of 400MJ

• Size 8 power plant
  • Size 8 thrusters
  • Size 7 FSD
  • Size 6 life support
  • Size 7 distibutor
  • Size 6 sensors
  • Size 7 fuel tank

• 2x size 8 slots
  • 2x size 7 slots
  • 1x size 6 slot
  • 1x size 5 slot
  • 2x size 5 military slots
  • 1x size 4 slot
  • 2x size 3 slots

• 4x large hardpoints
  • 4x medium hardpoints
  • 8x utility mounts
This ship would be have a shieldless cargo capacity of 896, and a shielded cargo capacity of 768 with a size 7 shield generator (a size 6 is too small for a 1400T hull) giving it the best cargo capacity of any ship in-game. The hardpoints would have absolutely ABYSMAL convergence to the point where using fixed weapons is all but impossible, but would give EXCELLENT placement and arcs of fire for turrets. The reliance on turrets would be compounded by the ship's worst-in-game maneuverability, which would be matched by its worst-in-game speed. It wouldn't be anything to scoff at defensively, with more hull integrity than a 'conda (base 540 vs. base 525) and similar effective shield strength.

Admittedly, It has been about a year since I have even so much as looked at these builds, so any suggestions on how to balance them properly would be welcome.

A few notes on the builds provided:
  • The extra size 6 fuel tank is used to represent the main fuel tank being increased to size 7
  • The 6A SCB with 300T mass is used to represent the extra hull mass
  • The 8B SCB with 512T / 640T mass is used to represent the additional cargo space that cannot fit inside the cutter I used as the base (the 512T represents 1x256T and 2x128T, the 640 represents 2x256T and 1x128T)
  • The -50% modification to the optimal multiplier on the thrusters is to model the base and boos speeds
  • The changes to the bulkheads represent the increased mass (due to more hull mass) and thicker armour
  • The changes to the shield generator are used to simulate the lower case shield strength and increased hull mass
  • The changes to the turret in the huge hardpoint are used to simulate a second turret (doubled power draw, mass, damage per shot, thermal load, etc...)

Can you please please please bring out the Panther Clipper, it will be a game changer for traders and a long awaited trading ship for cargo runs and mission based.

Thank you in anticipation

I do not believe it will be a game changer, unless it gets different options. Otherwise it will just be another big ship.
The Panther Clipper could be interesting if it for example required a new kind of (external?) docking method, perhaps via umbilical, or external docking platform, and if it perhaps carried a captain's shuttle.
We definitely also need a good npc crew mechanic, but I have been saying that forever. Big ships should definitely require crew to be fully functional. Even medium ships should have crew.

All in all I think FDev should wait with the introduction of the Panther Clipper until they can bring something new to the table considering gameplay mechanics. Otherwise there is no point.

Bit too small and too close in capacity to the Cutter and T9 to have any right to be a separate ship.
Keep in mind that I was trying to avoid going too crazy with the ship.

While it is true that the FE2/FFE Panther Clipper had 2100 tons of cargo space, it is important to remember that this 2100 tons of space was also used to mount the hyperdrive, fuel for the hyperdrive and weapons, none of which take up cargo space in ED as they have their own dedicated slots. Knowing that players would want to mount a class 8 hyperdrive in their panther clipper (for a laden jump range of 9.1 LY), we can automatically deduct the mass of a class 8 hyperdrive (600 tons) from the gross cargo capacity of the ship, giving us a 1500 ton net capacity for cargo, fuel and weapons. Considering that the class 8 hyperdrive would consume up to 81 tons of hydrogen fuel per jump, we can further reduce the net capacity of the ship by 81 tons for every max range jump that the Panther Clipper can do. Assuming that the panther clipper is set up to do 3 max range jumps (a deduction of 243 tons), we now have a net capacity of 1250 tons for cargo and weapons (we can assume the extra 7 tons was used by the scanner, autopilot, radar mapper, auto-refueller, ECM, and cargo scoop upgrades which are now standard or have their own slot). Moving on to weapons, the FE2/FFE Panther Clipper had 4 hardpoints and 8 missile pylons. The missile pylons can be filled with a single 1 ton missile or proximity mine each, for a total of 8 tons (which I will round up to 10 tons). For the hardpoints, anything larger than a 20MW beam laser is complete overkill, as a 20MW beam laser can destroy any pilotable ship in FE2/FFE in with only a few seconds of sustained fire. As such, I'm assuming that all 4 hardpoints have been filled with 20MW beam lasers, each of which have a mass of 75 tons for a total of 310 tons of weapons (inculding missiles).This means that our theoretical Panther Clipper has a projected 940 tons of cargo space in ED.

As it turns out, I was only off by 44 tons of cargo space with my Coriolis builds.

That said, I will take your advice and modify my old Coriolis builds (which I have now updated and renamed to 1.0 and 1.1) to their new 2.0 and 2.1 setups. The difference between the 1.x and 2.x setups is that the 2.x upgrades one of the size 7 slots to a size 8 slot for a total of 1024 tons of cargo unshielded and 896 tons of cargo shielded. While this is in my opinion a bit overkill, I still think that it is fairly reasonable (even if it is on the upper limit of reasonable for a large class ship). A few other options that I considered to increase the cargo capacity were:
  • Add another size 8 slot (which I considered too extreme based on my previous math)
  • Add another size 7 slot (this would result in the same cargo capacity as the chosen solution)
  • Add another size 6 slot (It's a cargo ship that can't mount a size 6 shield, why would it need a second size 6 slot?)
  • Add another size 4 slot and another size 5 slot (this would bring the total number of slots to 12, giving it as much utility as the Anaconda, something I was trying to avoid)

Last edited:
Keep in mind, that if this ship comes in any shape or form like we've seen in the teasers so far, it'll be almost twice as long as a T9 while being as wide. I expect 1000t shielded, and no, I don't think that is overkill. We've seen time after time again that FD don't convert old ships to ED 1:1 like you tried to do. So IMO the 2100t ton total internal space of old is meaningless.

Kinda curious as to how the Panther may perform as a mining ship.
Probably pretty well for laser mining, though I expect rather poor visibility and maneuverability. Forget core mining though. Not going to fit that into the fragments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom