Paralell Galaxies

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know. I was mainly joking there, but obviously the most important thing here is that FDev has a server that stores the galactic state and "runs" the BGS. You want two galaxies, you need to have two galaxy databases running side by side.

Exactly. And that ain’t gonna happen.

Last edited:
Perhaps the OP is assuming people play in Open vs Solo based on PvP preferences. That is not the only reason.

IRL I travel a lot so I switch between Solo and Open based on the available internet connection. I know some others that do the same.

I'm not saying the game should cater to those with crumby connection, it shouldn't. But there are reasons why some players regularly switch between the modes.

Lestat

Banned
Just the amount of whining about how it's another open only topic, shows there is a demand for open only server.
What bad is you really don't understand how this game is set up you also don't understand how much resources it would take to make another server. So stop telling people to stop whining when you don't even do your own research first before posting an idea.

Also this game does have a storyline - if events go differently in one than in the other, which one would be considered canon? I have a feeling I know which one OP would pick.
As for carebears petting each other, I can only imagine the salt when two goody-goody player groups end up bumping/expanding into each other and have wildly different ideas over who the system rightfully "belongs" to - or someone adopts one of the procgen factions and does the same and the sandcastle-builders wonder why they're having such a hard time building their sandcastle in this particular system, MUST BE GRIEFERS. That happens already, as a matter of fact. Hell, remember the time 90s and his buddies trashed the Mobius PMF and bragged about how they did the whole thing in open and their opponents could have come out to face them at any time?

The idea is a new open only server.
The whole game is copied as it is now, and a new server is started, that is open only.
In the log-in screen, one simply chooses to log in to that server, that is at the time of the split is totally identical to the one we have now.
There are no extra features, modules, etc. on the new server, so if one chooses to stay, there's nothing they are missing out on feature wise.
After the split the two galaxies go on their separate paths. The difference is, on the new open only server BGS and PP cannot be manipulated from solo/pg. No more ghost boxing and a chance to oppose enemies in real space. The old server stays the same, and most likely it turns into the PvE server where carebears can pet each other and is free from the commanders that are in search of competitive gameplay and PvP.
As long FD hasn't sorted out cross platform gameplay, this server is PC only. Yeah, it's time to join the PC master race to play on this server.

Migration from one server to another can be done trough a designated system, for example one gets the chance to migrate in Leesti and nowhere else. Ships, stored modules and credits are all copied over to the other sever and deleted from the one migrating from, but the commander can only enter the other galaxy trough this gate. One migration per month if someone wishes to go back and forth for whatever reason.

This is yet another suggestion based on flawed understanding of the game.

First, we already know that the majority of players of Elite do not really care about the PvP aspect, that is information we have from FDev, just like how we know that Open is by far the most popular mode to play in, we also know that the majority of players have NOT engaged in PvP.

This would also not do anything about the current state of Gankers, they would not migrate to a server full of other PvP players, as there would be very limited amount of "easy" targets. So the only players that would realistically migrate over the players that want PvP, but that is limited amount of players, and most likely not every PvP player would like to migrate.
So now we have a separate galaxy which increases operational costs, with having to run yet another environment... This would simply drain resources from the development, and of course, it would soon come with its own demand for changes etc, so soon FDev would basically have two different games... That even further will drive costs.

So now to your later argument about this would bring back many players. This I would consider wishful thinking. What new is there to offer these returning players?
Lets see
  • The galaxy would still be the same, and equally big
  • There would still thousands of systems in the bubble
  • With even less players than we currently have in op (remember, we expect peope to migrate from current Open to the new Open), it would be even more rare to encounter another player.
  • The game would still be massively fragmented into numerous instances, like some are in super cruise, some in normal space, and they can all be in the same system and still not know about each others.
  • Still the same BGS
  • Still the same Power Play
  • We still have time zones, and players playing around the clock, so if you play 18:00-24:00 UTC, anyone playing outside these hours would still be "invisible" to you. And as the majority of players have school/work/etc, they cannot be playing all day and all night, and even the most avid gamers, still need to sleep...

Sounds just like the current game, and yet you make it sound like it would magically make everything much more appealing for PvP community, as noone can no longer can "hide" in solo/PG...

And if we leave the current hotspots alone, founders worlds, specific Engineers and Community Goals, the likelihood to encounter other players are not that common, and what do you expect will happen if the player base is even fewer than we currently have? Remember, most players are not interested in PVP, so the majority of the current open players would not consider to migrate anyway... so that will only make this matter worse...

So the entire idea is flawed from the start, as there are to many systems and to few players to populate even the bubble. We are talking about some 20 000+ inhabited systems with over 66 000 stations, starports and outposts. not even the lastest distant worlds expedtion could place a participant in each inhabitable system in the bubble! So to have the pinnacle PvP and PvP encountes in BGS/PP, you cannot have 20 000+ systems to mess around in... you need to reduce this drastically...lets start with 50. Same with Powerplay, there way to many powers... so we need to limit this as well, for simplicty, use Powerplay mechanics and and instead use Federation, Empire and Alliance, so you have a 3 way "conflict", and players are mandatory to pick a power... so no leave option, only defect to another power..
We simply remove the Thargoids, as that is PvE, so no business on a PvP server anyway...

Now we have drastically reduced the amount of data for this mode. The BGS will be much faster to process and require alot less resources. And we can get rid of first discovered etc, aswell, what is the point anyway? Exploration is a PvE activity, so no need to waste resources on this...

So even with all these changes, it it would still more or less be the same game, and not really offer anything new... we have simply stuffed player closer together so that they are much more likely to run into each other alot more than they do today, just like you are more likely to encounter other player at the current hotspots like founders world, engineers, community goals etc.

Even if FDev did this, I highly doubt this would be a popular mode, and even the limit of 50 systems, might be to much...

This is yet another suggestion based on flawed understanding of the game.

First, we already know that the majority of players of Elite do not really care about the PvP aspect, that is information we have from FDev, just like how we know that Open is by far the most popular mode to play in, we also know that the majority of players have NOT engaged in PvP.

This would also not do anything about the current state of Gankers, they would not migrate to a server full of other PvP players, as there would be very limited amount of "easy" targets. So the only players that would realistically migrate over the players that want PvP, but that is limited amount of players, and most likely not every PvP player would like to migrate.
So now we have a separate galaxy which increases operational costs, with having to run yet another environment... This would simply drain resources from the development, and of course, it would soon come with its own demand for changes etc, so soon FDev would basically have two different games... That even further will drive costs.

So now to your later argument about this would bring back many players. This I would consider wishful thinking. What new is there to offer these returning players?
Lets see
  • The galaxy would still be the same, and equally big
  • There would still thousands of systems in the bubble
  • With even less players than we currently have in op (remember, we expect peope to migrate from current Open to the new Open), it would be even more rare to encounter another player.
  • The game would still be massively fragmented into numerous instances, like some are in super cruise, some in normal space, and they can all be in the same system and still not know about each others.
  • Still the same BGS
  • Still the same Power Play
  • We still have time zones, and players playing around the clock, so if you play 18:00-24:00 UTC, anyone playing outside these hours would still be "invisible" to you. And as the majority of players have school/work/etc, they cannot be playing all day and all night, and even the most avid gamers, still need to sleep...

Sounds just like the current game, and yet you make it sound like it would magically make everything much more appealing for PvP community, as noone can no longer can "hide" in solo/PG...

And if we leave the current hotspots alone, founders worlds, specific Engineers and Community Goals, the likelihood to encounter other players are not that common, and what do you expect will happen if the player base is even fewer than we currently have? Remember, most players are not interested in PVP, so the majority of the current open players would not consider to migrate anyway... so that will only make this matter worse...

So the entire idea is flawed from the start, as there are to many systems and to few players to populate even the bubble. We are talking about some 20 000+ inhabited systems with over 66 000 stations, starports and outposts. not even the lastest distant worlds expedtion could place a participant in each inhabitable system in the bubble! So to have the pinnacle PvP and PvP encountes in BGS/PP, you cannot have 20 000+ systems to mess around in... you need to reduce this drastically...lets start with 50. Same with Powerplay, there way to many powers... so we need to limit this as well, for simplicty, use Powerplay mechanics and and instead use Federation, Empire and Alliance, so you have a 3 way "conflict", and players are mandatory to pick a power... so no leave option, only defect to another power..
We simply remove the Thargoids, as that is PvE, so no business on a PvP server anyway...

Now we have drastically reduced the amount of data for this mode. The BGS will be much faster to process and require alot less resources. And we can get rid of first discovered etc, aswell, what is the point anyway? Exploration is a PvE activity, so no need to waste resources on this...

So even with all these changes, it it would still more or less be the same game, and not really offer anything new... we have simply stuffed player closer together so that they are much more likely to run into each other alot more than they do today, just like you are more likely to encounter other player at the current hotspots like founders world, engineers, community goals etc.

Even if FDev did this, I highly doubt this would be a popular mode, and even the limit of 50 systems, might be to much...
A far better idea is already up and kicking and very few people even consider it, it's like the main game but with even more stripped out... and as far as I know getting right down to the bare bones... CQC

The end game of ED is BGS and PP. In the current state these features are not very appealing to players looking for competitive gameplay, as in many cases there's no chance of fighting off players attacking your domain, since you never get the chance to see them.
Another issue is cheaters, that may be caught and reported in open, but there's no chance catching them if they are messing with the BGS in their indestructible ships in solo.

OP fails to take into account when mentioning PP and the BGS, that an "open only server" (never seen a thread about that before) wouldn't do any good. As already mentioned, what about timezones? Also, what about the 3 different platforms the game runs on?

I don't care about your problems, don't bother me with them.

You don't care about anyone other than yourself, do you OP? "I want this so do it and stuff any other considerations" Nice attitude.

Also, afaik, FDEV have said that they are never going to do this. If you want PvP fights, get on Discord and arrange some.

First, we already know that the majority of players of Elite do not really care about the PvP aspect, that is information we have from FDev, just like how we know that Open is by far the most popular mode to play in
I would like to see citation here, because i have no idea what "not really care" mean. Not really care can mean they have nothing against open only game maybe?... so please specify or link to FD statemen
we also know that the majority of players have NOT engaged in PvP
Who is "we"? You mean majority of players who sometims play in open never get attacked by another player? Any numbers, very iteresting.
This would also not do anything about the current state of Gankers, they would not migrate to a server full of other PvP players, as there would be very limited amount of "easy" targets.
Not every pvp-er is ganker, there are just people here who like game difficulty higher than very easy, we have now.

Of course 2 servers... this not gonna happen, becouse of extra resources needed more than anything else, but CG's and Power play should be open only, at least on PC's, even given current elite netcode limitations, it would be within the spirit of those activities. Of course those changes would somehow force dev's to rework current C&P system and some other balance tweaks, possibly also in Power play. IMO Elite will not be able to compete with similar games when they get relesed under current system, because it's clumsy in providing PvP content and solo oriented players just go after new game with new content. This really depend how sirious plans FD have for Elite next year.

I'd be happy for it to happen as long as the other open became PvE only. Many MMOs have separate PvP and PvE servers.

However, FD seem against the idea, and a lot of the PvPers are as well, since who will they gank when the server is full of people who are experienced PvPers or gankers themselves?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I don't think I even need to give a reason, I thought that some common sense might have kicked in, but it appears not.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom