Part Two: The Warts and Pimples (for Dr. Kay Ross)

Proclaimer: The game is imperfect, which is hard to deny. Always was and most likely always will be. Especially in the first month after a major release.

Since screenshots can easily be cherry picked (the best scenery, angles and light conditions), here for the critics 2 videos that show a lot of the warts and pimples they are talking about. But this is also for Dr. Kay Ross to show where there is still some work ahead with the surface generator, but also what a wonderful piece of art she has created. A big thank you from here! 😍

I suggest to watch these videos 2 times: the first time with a critical, analytic view that will confirm a lot of the things that are not good yet. But, if you are able to adjust your perception filters so that all the wrinkles don't completely destroy your immersion, watch them a second time in a more relaxed mood and enjoy what amazing potential the surface engine already shows.

I got so carried away, that in the first part, a planetary approach to an ordinary ice planet, I totally forgot to switch off Orbital lines, ship lights and NV and even struggled to switch them off later. Please bear in mind, that I was dead tired (as so often) and (later in part 2) flying shieldless about 20m above ground. Enjoy (or not, it's up to you). And please try to keep unnecessary negativity out of this thread, there are enough others that will serve you well. Constructive critics is always welcome of course.

The Warts
Source: https://youtu.be/Jl1CuIeSV7w

And the Pimples
Source: https://youtu.be/3VT_fsIOJTg

p.s.: I got a copyright violation warning for the music, but since I don't monetise my videos I don't think that a problem the creator allows the usage, but can blend in own content.
During recording I was listening to my favourite internet radio, Soma FM, I unfortunately didn't take note of the artist's name.

Last edited:
Profit has nothing to do with copyright protection. It's the right to make copies of something.

That's part of the warning: I'm not allowed to monetise my content. I never ran into any problems with that.

Urheberrecht
Beschwerde wegen Urheberrechtsverletzung gefunden. Der Urheberrechtsinhaber erlaubt die Verwendung der beanspruchten Inhalte und wird Anzeigen in deinem Video einblenden.
DETAILS ANSEHEN

Translate for yourself.

That's part of the warning: I'm not allowed to monetise my content. I never ran into any problems with that.

Urheberrecht
Beschwerde wegen Urheberrechtsverletzung gefunden. Der Urheberrechtsinhaber erlaubt die Verwendung der beanspruchten Inhalte und wird Anzeigen in deinem Video einblenden.
DETAILS ANSEHEN

Translate for yourself.

It doesn't much matter what YouTube says. What matters is the way copyright law works.

As a side note, as you can see I'm flying with an open comp scanner (doesn't matter if deployed or not) as I went down to scan the only present BIO form on this planet: bacteria colonies. Almost one hour later(!) I finally found my first sample. This was hands down the most difficult find since I started with Bio scans. I usually need less than 5 minutes for the whole set, but this was extremely difficult to spot. In the end I gave up, but I also have to say, that's much closer to how I imagine the search for Bio forms. I know only few will agree with me here. Perhaps those Bio samples that are very rare and/or that difficult to spot, should be paid much better than the usual 600 - 800 K?

Satva A 1

Go there. Leave nauseous.View attachment 237451

Not sure what you want to tell me here. This thread is made to show the potential of the surface engine in the first place. I certainly don't want to suggest that all planets are like this, some are even more interesting, some are downright dull and boring. If I want every planet an eye-catcher I'd indeed go for Space Engine. I love it when it's not that easy to find the beautiful vistas. That's pretty much my idea of the daily life of an explorer.

But feel free to open your own thread with collected samples of ugliness and dreariness. Good luck (you WILL succeed!) and have some <cough> fun.

Last edited:
Not sure what you want to tell me here. This thread is made to show the potential of the surface engine in the first place. I certainly don't want to suggest that all planets are like this, some are even more interesting, some are downright dull and boring. If I want every planet an eye-catcher I'd indeed go for Space Engine. I love it when it's not that easy to find the beautiful vistas. That's pretty much my idea of the daily life of an explorer.

But feel free to open your own thread with collected samples of ugliness and dreariness. Good luck (you WILL succeed!) and have some <cough> fun.
I removed my photo so as not to spoil your thread.

This will be an interesting thread to watch.

I hope so much! :)
But I don't plan to talk much in this thread (and certainly won't discuss the finer points of copyright laws as long as SomaFM, who pays the musicians, doesn't object). What I will most likely do, however, is make more videos available in the near future, all raw, uncut, and without any form of video editing. I can't stop others from showing the ugly side, of course and I will do this even my self to a certain extent. If you look carefully, you'll spot them already in my few videos in the OP. It's called warts and pimples for a reason.

I just wish they would use a separate thread for it. As if the forum wasn't already full of negativity. But I gave up asking for respect a long time ago. That seems to be a completely outdated concept on the internet. Meanwhile I have the impression that even the slightest sign of positivity is immediately attacked (even if not entirely positive) - as if that almost physically hurts someone. 🤕

But no one should expect anything from me here that is downright destructive.

Last edited:
About the absolute height of Mountains in Odyssey. Not sure if its a well know fact that I just have missed in the past...
The altimeter in Odyssey has a completely different meaning than what we know from aviation on Earth. There is no such thing as an altitude above sea level here. This video demonstrates that quite clearly: this "hill" looks like it's 1 km high at first, but as you get closer, the altimeter goes down. So it is something like a "height above colliding structures". This is presumably meant to support low altitude flying to primarily help avoid collisions with the ground. But is in no way a measurement suitable to determine the absolute height of mountains.

Source: https://youtu.be/2qShQgP5AoE

About the absolute height of Mountains in Odyssey. Not sure if its a well know fact that I just have missed in the past...
The altimeter in Odyssey has a completely different meaning than what we know from aviation on Earth. There is no such thing as an altitude above sea level here. This video demonstrates that quite clearly: this "hill" looks like it's 1 km high at first, but as you get closer, the altimeter goes down. So it is something like a "height above colliding structures". This is presumably meant to support low altitude flying to primarily help avoid collisions with the ground. But is in no way a measurement suitable to determine the absolute height of mountains.

Source: https://youtu.be/2qShQgP5AoE

Aviation uses two altitude types. AMSL and AGL. The one in game is AGL (Altitude above Ground Level). Best way to test the height from an AGL perspective is (if the terrain is mostly flat near to your location) get a meter or two off of the top of the mountain, then level flight out over the flat. Your altitude at that point would be the approximate AGL altitude of the peak

Aviation uses two altitude types. AMSL and AGL. The one in game is AGL (Altitude above Ground Level). Best way to test the height from an AGL perspective is (if the terrain is mostly flat near to your location) get a meter or two off of the top of the mountain, then level flight out over the flat. Your altitude at that point would be the approximate AGL altitude of the peak

I'm not sure it's sufficient to measure the peak of a mountain when your altimeter changes the closer you get to the peak - as in the video. That is, you would have to keep a certain distance from the mountain, but how far is "sufficient"? And then you only get a very rough estimate of the altitude, since the angle of view (pitch) would have a greater and greater influence as the distance increases.

I'm not sure it's sufficient to measure the peak of a mountain when your altimeter changes the closer you get to the peak - as in the video. That is, you would have to keep a certain distance from the mountain, but how far is "sufficient"? And then you only get a very rough estimate of the altitude, since the angle of view (pitch) would have a greater and greater influence as the distance increases.

That is why you start at the peak (with X height above and remember the meter height above the terrain) then level flight from that point (absolutely no pitch or vertical inputs) out over the nearby flat terrain. AGL over flat terrain (minus) AGL over the peak = Altitude Estimate AGL of the peak.

That is why you start at the peak (with X height above and remember the meter height above the terrain) then level flight from that point (absolutely no pitch or vertical inputs) out over the nearby flat terrain. AGL over flat terrain (minus) AGL over the peak = Altitude Estimate AGL of the peak.

Ah, understand now. But will be difficult in some very chaotic areas on planets, where many high hills (real mountains are rather rare in Odyssey) grow out of the ground close together. I think for a reasonably reliable altitude reading you need something like a plateau, which is sometimes not that easy to find. As you said, the "nearby flat terrain" will be the trick part in some regions. However, I get the principle now, thanks.

Ah, understand now. But will be difficult in some very chaotic areas on planets, where many high hills (real mountains are rather rare in Odyssey) grow out of the ground close together. I think for a reasonably reliable altitude reading you need something like a plateau, which is sometimes not that easy to find. However, I get the principle now, thanks.

No problem. You can apply the same to canyons as well except flying from X height over them. Subtract the initial AGL before going over the canyon from the AGL over the deepest part you cross and there is the depth

Where's the logic here (or is it a bug)?

Atmosphere type Neon 100%:

100 Neon.jpg

And Neon rich with 91,5% Helium and only 8,5% Neon

Neon-rich.jpg

If this is not a bug, then "Neon-rich" means effectively less Neon than just "Neon". Does it make sense?

Top Bottom