Passenger Missions and Scanning

Should not being scanned be removed from the Passenger Missions?

• I feel you bro. They should remove that.

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • No you're just straight crazy Adhock.

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Just don't take the mission you goof!

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Reduce the frequency of scanning and all will be well.

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Meh. Don't care.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I challenge you to a Fish Pie Duel!

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • FREE BACON!

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • DAMN IT IAN! QUIT ADDING TO MY POLLS!!!

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So I recently failed a lucrative 2 Mill passenger contract.

Why?

I kept getting scanned.

Which was difficult to avoid.

I got scanned right off the bat exiting the station which decreased his happiness because he's secretive and didn't like being scanned.

During our little romp through the galaxy I'd reached all three destinations when he gave me a mission to kill three NPC's that were trying to kill him.

Which meant MORE ship scans. First I'd get scanned by the Pirate trying to kill me. THEN scanned by the Authority Ships that show up BEFORE they help me kill the pirate and then a scan AFTER they helped me kill the ship pirate.

I lost the contract and there went 2 million. Just on my final leg home.

What a disappointment.

Does anybody else think that not getting scanned should just not be a thing with passenger missions anymore given the frequency of being scanned or am I just crazy?

NOTE: Poll Mockery is still in effect so everybody gets 2.

I'm currently heading towards Colonia with 5 missions totaling 200M Cr. On the way I decided to stop at one of the refueling stations for repairs, and got scanned just before landing. Two of the groups decided they didn't like that and jumped ship immediately. 120M in missions gone.

Idiots. Now they're stuck there.

There should be more ways of avoiding the scanning generally. If we could get some gameplay where, rather than having the police loitering right next to the station, there was a 'shell' a few kilometers out, with patrols we cold sneak past, or if police around stations responded if the player 'acted' suspiciously (i.e. sped near the station, went silent for some reason, dodn't follow ATC commands precisely etc.) then things might be better.

*Edit* Making the game more like avoiding radar detection in a military flight-sim, and having 'scan cones' that are in effect on patrols in supercruise, is another idea I'd throw out there. Put some more gameplay into FSD use.

And having passengers bail on missions is just daft. They should stay on the ship, but just pay a nominal amount if they are upset. Or not pay, get off the ship at the first port, then hire a bounty hunter to try to take the player out at a later date if really narked. :)

Last edited:
So I recently failed a lucrative 2 Mill passenger contract.

Why?

I kept getting scanned.

Which was difficult to avoid.

I got scanned right off the bat exiting the station which decreased his happiness because he's secretive and didn't like being scanned.

During our little romp through the galaxy I'd reached all three destinations when he gave me a mission to kill three NPC's that were trying to kill him.

Which meant MORE ship scans. First I'd get scanned by the Pirate trying to kill me. THEN scanned by the Authority Ships that show up BEFORE they help me kill the pirate and then a scan AFTER they helped me kill the ship pirate.

I lost the contract and there went 2 million. Just on my final leg home.

What a disappointment.

Does anybody else think that not getting scanned should just not be a thing with passenger missions anymore given the frequency of being scanned or am I just crazy?

NOTE: Poll Mockery is still in effect so everybody gets 2.

Yes, you are crazy. If you dont like missions that demand not being scanned, dont do those missions. [wacky]

I agree with the OP in large part.

I can understand why criminals wouldn't like being scanned. However, the tourist VIP who wants to visit VY Canis Majoris, why does she get her panties in a bunch over being scanned? She's a damn tourist.

I agree with the OP in large part.

I can understand why criminals wouldn't like being scanned. However, the tourist VIP who wants to visit VY Canis Majoris, why does she get her panties in a bunch over being scanned? She's a damn tourist.

Maybe she's afraid someone could use a body scanner....even an innocent tourist can be a criminal :D
tsa-body-scanner-female.jpg

1. Read all mission briefings carefully. You don't have to take them, there are plenty of others to choose from. With risk comes reward at all that.
2. It's actually easy to avoid being scanned. Situational awareness, speed, silent running and heat sinks are your friends. I've done tonnes of these missions (as well as smuggling missions) in my cutter with no issues at all, I imagine in smaller ships it's even easier.

Mh... what? If you don't like those missions don't do them, removing them so the people who do like them can't have them anymore would be just stupid. You don't gain anything while other people lose something.

1. Read all mission briefings carefully. You don't have to take them, there are plenty of others to choose from. With risk comes reward at all that.
2. It's actually easy to avoid being scanned. Situational awareness, speed, silent running and heat sinks are your friends. I've done tonnes of these missions (as well as smuggling missions) in my cutter with no issues at all, I imagine in smaller ships it's even easier.

1. I did. The money/distance ratio was too good to pass up.

2. It's harder then you think when your passanger rings your intercom asking you to please kill 3 ships who are after us and spawn the sidemission of having to get interdicted and kill the pirates who are just going to chain interdict me. Plus I had to try out my SLF. You get scanned like crazy during these instances between the pirate trying to confirm the cargo and system authority trying to find contraband. The station authority I had no problem with. Pirates sent after me? Yeah SR and heat sinks will do squat.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Mh... what? If you don't like those missions don't do them, removing them so the people who do like them can't have them anymore would be just stupid. You don't gain anything while other people lose something.

It's not so much removing the missions themselves but rather removing the "Do not get scanned" mechanic.

I haven't tried these missions yet. But flying 22000 light years only to fail on a scan seems bit harsh, just reduce the payout like the 2.1 smuggling missions did.

You don't have that option in your poll...

Last edited:
1. I did. The money/distance ratio was too good to pass up.
So you want to have your cake and eat it - all of the reward and none of the risk. If you can't do the mission, don't take it. There are plenty to choose from.

2. It's harder then you think when your passanger rings your intercom asking you to please kill 3 ships who are after us and spawn the sidemission of having to get interdicted and kill the pirates who are just going to chain interdict me. Plus I had to try out my SLF. You get scanned like crazy during these instances between the pirate trying to confirm the cargo and system authority trying to find contraband. The station authority I had no problem with. Pirates sent after me? Yeah SR and heat sinks will do squat
Not sure what your SLF has to do with anything. Also, turn off "report crimes against me", and high wake if necessary.

Last edited:
This scanning 'danger' is awesome .. DON'T TOUCH IT :D ... I've lost my 1st 'wanted' 26M mission just bcs this ater taking screenshots at beacon and heavily laughed after scan come from some arrived viper mk4 resulting in nice bounty and mission failure ... ED in it's top form making you pay for your mistake and lack of knowledge. I finished successfully other later and it was fun :)

Not sure what your SLF has to do with anything. Also, turn off "report crimes against me", and high wake if necessary.

I just wanted to try it out.

Highwaking still takes time and I can still get scanned on my way out the door by the pirate which will cause mission failure.

That's the point.

I was given a nonoptional sidequest to deal with pirates who were trying to kill my passenger much like pirates who try to attack you when you're hauling cargo and your contact tells you someone's out to get your cargo. I can't stop them from scanning me and I can ether suffer getting interdicted or I can stop, deal with them, collect an extra reward, and move on.

In short, being scanned if you decide to deal with the problem is unavoidable. Breaking interdiction isn't a problem for me but I wasn't in the mood for running. I'd rather swat the gnat and move on. Which was supposed to be the point of that sidequest. Swat the                who thinks they can      with you. Get free cash.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom