RCT 3 PC Patch List for Consideration

I'd like it if you did a patch or something so that you could load custom scenarios from the main menu. It gets annoying having to load a blank one first. If not, maybe in the next expansion pack, if there will be one.

Thank you, David, for replying. I realize that it's harder to do a patch without the support of Atari, so I'm content (for now ;)) that you've seen and read the thread.

Skipper, I would remove it if I could, given the lack of Atari support and their actions regarding this game, but it was a quote from the letter. I feel it more important to show that the attempt was made to make this list known to Atari. It's a history thing, I guess.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Live_The_Thrill said:
What I really want to see is the stats for rides fixed, along with crack like addiction to sun cream. David B will you keep us updated on this forum or over at Atari?

I intend to mainly stay on these forums. I will look in on the Atari ones from time to time, but will be mainly here.

There are other cases where a developer has released patches and stuff without going directly through the publisher.

The most notable is the HALO CE. Basicly, the development team for halo PC released the game then realeased several patches. Then they started work on another bigger patch to make the game heaps better than it was along with support for custom maps and other things. However (for whatever reasons) microsoft didnt (or was unable to) release this big improvement. (I remember various stories as to why but I dont know the actual reasons). In any case, what happened was that the HALO team basicly released it themselves. It is (IIRC) NOT supported directly by Microsoft, any support goes through the dev team I think.

In any case, there is no reason (other than anything that might be written into any contracts frontier signed or anything thats going on with the CS lawsuit that might prevent it) that frontier cant release a patch (or tools like an object importer :) for this great game.

Releasing a patch for the game (the base game AND the extra files for the 2 expansion packs if any of those need to be changed) would make a lot of people very happy. Also, it would restore faith in Frontier. (although only if it actually fixed the bugs people care about and better yet, added some little features like being able to open a scenario file from the main menu :).

RCT3 is (IMO) hands down the BEST theme park and coaster simulation game ever made bar none and the 2 expansion packs make it even better.

SOmething very wrong: On the Zipper and Roll-O-Planes, explain to me, how they only alow one car to reach the bottom of the ride to allow peeps to exit? On the Roll-O-Plane, only one car reaches the ground... the other just stays at the top and the peeps magically appear at the ground. Same thing with the Zipper. Only one car reaches the ground and they magically appear at the exit. It's not that large of a bug just rather a minor annoyance. One other thing, I basically thought of a coaster design in my head, and realized one thing: It would have to be a multi demension coaster, but it would have to start out in an inverted station. Another just minor annoyance. But the one thing that just annoys the heck out of me, is how rough banked turn transitions are. I know that that couldn't really be fixed in a patch but If you do produce an RCT4, that would be an Idea to consider. For RCT4, an updated version of the realism in coaster design would be a big help for me.

CalawayPark said:
SOmething very wrong: On the Zipper and Roll-O-Planes, explain to me, how they only alow one car to reach the bottom of the ride to allow peeps to exit? On the Roll-O-Plane, only one car reaches the ground... the other just stays at the top and the peeps magically appear at the ground. Same thing with the Zipper. Only one car reaches the ground and they magically appear at the exit. It's not that large of a bug just rather a minor annoyance. But the one thing that just annoys the heck out of me, is how rough banked turn transitions are. I know that that couldn't really be fixed in a patch but If you do produce an RCT4, that would be an Idea to consider. For RCT4, an updated version of the realism in coaster design would be a big help for me.

It's the same thing for the ferris wheel and giant ferris wheel. Peeps magically appear in the carriages even if they aren't connected to the station. Also, the banked turns are way too rough. The transitions from level to banked should be much smoother. It's good on the extended coaster how you can change from level to banked during a turn, so it would be good if you could do that on all coasters.

I would love for all coasters (within reason) to have the same track options as the Extended Coaster. Another minor issue I have is the fact that the Extended Coaster is on B&M track. But a coaster designer that allows for copmlete customization would be best for the RCT series.

Someone else said something like this earlier, but wouldn't it be great if on every coaster you could change the size of the inversions and other special sections of track? For example, you have a loop to the right. You could drag the top of the loop to the height you want - this would be ideal for if the coaster goes too fast on small loop and not fast enough on a large loop. Then you could drag the end of the loop to the grid square you want. This would make the type of inversion change as you grag it. It would go from a vertical loop to a corlsrew to a barrel roll and then an inline twist. This would make coasters much more varied.

Thank You Wholeheartedly!

Posted from David B.:
As many probably guess, this is a tricky one to answer, but one dimension is the recent reduction in support from Atari many have reported. The support we are offering here from Frontier is 'off our own bat' - as personally I think it is a real shame to leave people out in the cold. Many of the key people from Atari (eg Ken) have sadly left, which may be part of the reason for the change.
Many have noticed that Wild Update #3 is not available via 'Check for Updates' - or indeed from Atari at all, as yet. You can draw your own conclusions - but the amount we do at Frontier will have to bear in mind the amount of support Atari can put in to the game; having said that - we do intend to continue supporting it where we can.
I hope that helps!

I just want to personally thank you for this. It makes me, as well as everyone else I am sure, feel great to know that your thinking is of the consumer. It shows with you showing back up and having a patch for us. I look forward to seeing if you guys are able to come up with anything more for us here. I am sure you will if you have anything to say about it. You have restored faith in this game once again just by showing up.

:D THANK YOU!!!!:D

I'll readily admit that I've taken both Atari and Frontier to task many times not for whether or not a fix for this or that was forth coming, but mainly because there was not much communication between either of them and the community. I do realize there were some reasons for this, and I also know that through it all Michael kept helping people even if he couldn't answer specifics. It's really nice that the communication seems to be back. For myself I don't expect an answer or fix for every problem tomorrow, but I do appreciate the fact that at least now I feel that not only are comments heard, they might even be addressed. Even a "sorry...we can't fix that" is better than before. It sure changes the possibilities!

Thanks Frontier for setting this forums up...

CalawayPark said:
SOmething very wrong: On the Zipper and Roll-O-Planes, explain to me, how they only alow one car to reach the bottom of the ride to allow peeps to exit? On the Roll-O-Plane, only one car reaches the ground... the other just stays at the top and the peeps magically appear at the ground. Same thing with the Zipper. Only one car reaches the ground and they magically appear at the exit. It's not that large of a bug just rather a minor annoyance.

Nuclear Fish said:
It's the same thing for the ferris wheel and giant ferris wheel. Peeps magically appear in the carriages even if they aren't connected to the station.

Same thing on the Sky Wheel too. I don't think it's a bug though. I think they just didn't program a loading/unloading cycle for those rides. It's a detail that might not have worked with the however the rides are programmed. I do hope it's possible to implement this in the future maybe in a patch, but if not then I just try not to think about it too much.

Thanks to Frontier for setting up these forums and for re-establishing communication with the RCT3 fans. I feel I'm seeing a particle effect at the end of the tunnel.;)

Michael Brookes

Game Director
The rides loading and unloading 'properly' was something we examined. However there are timing issues which basically meant that it took too long for these rides to load in comparison with game time. Especially for larger rides, as RCT3 is a game rather than a realtime simulation the decision was made to have the peeps get on the rides in a timely fashion instead.

Michael

Huh?

I don't quite understand the "loading" "unloading" thing here. Is it just the fact that peeps appear in the cars and then disappear from then and go straight to the exit?

Michael while I can understand the loading unloading on many rides.

The chairlift definitely has a bug with the que line, peeps disappearing, and the loading unloading where peeps go running to the other side to get on or off a ride is a serious issue, amongst many on that ride, and I am not even touching on the sound of the ride throughout the entire ride or no diagonal tracks either like many other tracked rides offer.

But it is a problem that does need to be examined and has gone on for a very long time. The chairlift is basically a carryover port from RCT2 in its charateristics. David, you know exactly what I am talking about. Go and watch a film of Disneyland's gondola chairlifts and you will see how passengers load and unload. Likewise watch how peeps act in the que lines. This has been complained about for a very long time, and again not including gondola cars that still are not available or diag track.

But yes Michael, I can see where the game just pops the peeps in their seats and I do understand this and thats fine, its acceptable. Not realistic, but in perspective its understandable. But that chairlift does need some additional work and revamping in many areas. Perhaps Frontier will surprise us one day and ramp it up and than provide a download ride file that fixes the issues at hand.

The issue that needs to be fixed the most is that peeps don't use transport rides as transport, but use them as rides.

ie: half of a group will go one railway one, but the other half will wait at the exit, even though the first set of peeps have got off at a station on the other side of the park. The second group will wait till the first walk back over..

All members of the group should use the transport rides as transport..

I really like the group aspect of the park guests. It brings a little realism into the game and makes the guests a lot more fun to watch. So, definately, please keep the groups.

I would however like to echo rosscoe in suggesting a modification to the way guests behave in groups. rosscoe pointed out that groups can get seperated by transport rides. I don't mind that they get seperated in the process of boarding the ride (not enough seats left on the paddle steamer for instance.) But, if the entire group can't ride at one time, then maybe they should agree to reconvene again after they all disembark. That is, maybe the first part of the group should wait at point B for the second part of the group to catch up. If it's a very large group this would be a reasonable way to handle this. I think groups of two or three people should always try to ride together though... unless they are having a row or something.;)

All I can say is this David B: I truly hope a lot of fans of the RCT3 series find and become members of this forum, because your dedication to keep those who love the game informed and supported the best way you can will surely lock in fans for the next theme park game you create for the PC, with the RCT brand or not. Just stay true to what RCT was known for, and you have a winner. :)

GregM said:
I really like the group aspect of the park guests. It brings a little realism into the game and makes the guests a lot more fun to watch. So, definately, please keep the groups.

I have to agree. People complain about groups, but I love them, and I've wanted them since the start. The problem is how the group AI sometimes acts a bit wacky.

Top Bottom