Discussion Pathfinder (AndDiscovered) - Android exploration companion application

Pathfinder is not being maintained at this time.

An Elite: Dangerous Android companion application providing explorers everything they need to successfully navigate the Galaxy.

Pathfinder gives the Commander complete control over their expedition. From simple placement of stars and planets to detailed information for each individual system body. It is the Commanders choice how much information they wish to track. Moving between orbital bodies has never been easier with simple screen touch tree hierarchy.

Advanced reference system selection for easy system trilateration. Each system selected has been chosen to minimize the total number of references required, and to minimize time spent in the Galaxy map.

All those beautiful pictures taken on your journey conveniently sorted by system, or view them in their own gallery.

Other features include:
* Route optimization for when you are deep in the Galactic core.
* Web portals to news sites such as GalNet, and informational sites such as EDSM and EDDB.IO.
* Export your database.
* Take notes for each star system visited.

Pathfinder requires "Edproxy" in order to function fully. Edproxy is a python tool that events out lines from the Elite: Dangerous log. Pathfinder will find edproxy through a Multicast lookup and then make a TCP connection to receive log entries.

Pathfinder Discord:
General: https://discord.gg/0rYsuqDXxMID0VFX
Help: https://discord.gg/0rYsuqDXxMKc9ZQs

Installation and First Usage
Install Edproxy. Follow the installation instructions from the Edproxy thread.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167688
Download Pathfinder from the Google Play Store
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fussyware.AndDiscovered
Start Edproxy
Launch Pathfinder
Go to Settings (swipe from the left side of the screen for the Navigation panel)
Add your CMDR name for system submissions
If you want to receive image events turn it on here.
If you are having trouble connecting to Edproxy you may manually enter your PC IP address here.
All of your visited systems will populate in the background. This may take several minutes if you have visited a lot of systems.

How to add celestial bodies to a new system:
If you are not already in the celestial information panel then select a system from the System Panel. This will navigate you to the celestial information panel. If you are on a phone you will need to then select Celestial Details.

Pathfinder has the ability to organize stars, and planets, hierarchy. In order to place a celestial body on the "board" you may simply press tap, or press, one of the icons. If you wish to place a celestial body as a child of another celestial body (i.e. a moon of a planet) you may long press one of the icons and drag-n-drop the celestial body onto another. You may organize the hierarchy at any time by long pressing a celestial body and drag-n-dropping it onto another. It does not matter if the celestial body you are dragging already has children of its own.

First you need to add the "main star". This is the star that you jumped onto from within the game. Most likely the celestial selection panel is already displaying for you, however, if it is not you will see a small bar with a three lined "handle" either on the bottom of the screen or on the right side of the screen. Press, or swipe, the handle bar to open the celestial selection panel. Select the main star by pressing the appropriate icon.

You may now select other stars, or planets, by swiping right (or left) the celestial selection screen.

If you need to add many celestial bodies of the same type (ice planets) first add the celestial body to the board. Then long press the celestial body. In the upper-right corner of the screen will be an "action bar". There is an icon that looks like a circle with a plus sign in it. This is the duplication action. Press the duplication icon and select how many of the same celestial body you want. The celestial body will be duplicated, however the celestial detailed information will not be.

You may navigate the celestial hierarchy by pressing (or tapping) on a celestial body that has children assigned. If there are children then the board will be updated to show the parent celestial body at the top of the screen, and all children below. You may drag-n-drop one of the children onto the parent in order to move it "up" the hierarchy. Otherwise, you may add/edit all celestial bodies on the board as normal. If there were no children for the celestial body selected then you will be taken to the celestial details panel.

You may delete any celestial body by long pressing the icon and choosing the delete action (trash can) from the action bar.

If you wish to edit the celestial details of a celestial body with children without first going "into" that parent you may long press the icon and choose the information action from the action bar.

Celestial body detailed information:
You may edit fine grained information about a star or planet. From the celestial information panel select one of the celestial body icons. Stars, and planets, have their own detailed information panels. You will see the in-game description of the celestial body along with all the information that is normally found within the in-game "System Map". You may enter as much, or little, information as you desire.

Coordinate Calculation:
Within the celestial information panel you will find the Coordinate Calculator panel. Once selected you will see a set of systems with either known or unknown distances. Distance to your next system will be clearly marked. You may enter the distance to your next system at any time, and when the jump occurs the system name will be automatically populated.

All red systems are considered "reference" systems. These may be used for trilateration, which allows for the system coordinates to be discovered. Reference systems are selected by making sure they are mathematically optimal for the trilateration process. The selection algorithm will start with those systems closest to you and then slowly reference those farther away as required. If you are in a highly dense star area with many known reference systems then most references will be close by. However, if you are in uncharted areas then the reference systems will start to become farther and farther apart.

In order to make trilateration more accessible for tablet devices Pathfinder has provided a new system name to in-game Galaxy Map injection process. Please follow this process as closely as possible, or you may get key presses injected into your normal game:

1) Game: Open the in-game Galaxy Map
2) Game: Select the "Search" text box. You should see a cursor now inside the text box.
3) Pathfinder: Select the system you wish to add the distance to.
4) Pathfinder: Press the "Send" button.
5) Game: Press "Enter", or the button, to search for the now injected system name.

You do not need to leave the Galaxy Map for each system. Simply select the "Search" box again. The system that is already in the "Search" box will be replaced automatically when you send the next system.

It often takes 5-6 systems to perform the trilateration, however sometimes it may take several more. All system distances are uploaded to EDSM.

Miscellaneous:
There are many useful features within Pathfinder that may be found from the Navigation Bar. From any screen simply swipe from the left edge of the screen, or press the 4 lined icon in the upper left of the title bar.

Here you may find:
* Add your current system destination. You may then send that system name to the Galaxy Map between gaming sessions so that you do not loose that far away system you were routed to.
* A portal to several useful sites such as GalNet, EDSM, EDDB.io, etc.
* A route optimizer for when you are in the galactic core.
* A photo gallery to see all the systems that currently have photos associated with them.
* Some statistics about your travels such as the amount of potential (very conservative) money you have made, how many stars/planets (and of which type) you have visited. The more detailed information you provide about a system then the more statistical information Pathfinder may provide back to you.
* Export your database someplace safe. You will be prompted by Android with a list of applications to handle the export. You may choose something like email or a cloud based storage. The database will always be exported as a file to whichever application you choose. The database is currently SQLite.
* Alter your settings.

Special Thanks:
* To CMDR Bam and CMDR Myshka for beta testing Pathfinder for way too long. Thank you CMDRs you have been invaluable, and this would not have been possible to release without you! I owe you guys a bottle of something nice.
* To Paul Krizsan for doing the vast majority of the graphical assets, and the new logo!

Last edited:
At last, its out! :)
I have been beta testing this for the duration of the Distant Worlds Expedition and it is a fantastic app, I really cant tell you how much I love it. Its managed to keep track of my 6912 jumps to date and trilaterate over 1000 systems, not to mention the GB's of sacreenshots.

If you are an immersion freak, you will love this app, no more alt-tabing to enter distances or to trilaterate, its like having a separate navigation panel on your desk. Also as it works with EDSM all your distances will be synced with EDDiscovery next time you run it. It also fits very well with Elites colour scheme and interface.
If anyone wants any pointers or help getting up and running just shout, I'm here to help and relieve a bit of pressure from Duck, so he can work on my feature request list.....
Discord is the best place to get hold of me, just leave a question if nobody is about and we will try to help you out ASAP.

It's alive!

A great update, well worthy the major version step and the new name. The usability is much improved, the portal function to the various sites is very helpful.
With the new E-D like look of the app my tablet becomes a tangible piece of my ship's controls.

FDev, take a note what a companion app can do to the game experience.

Very nice indeed ... all we need now (for traders) is a big BUY PLATINUM (or another commodity) and FLY TO ERRAVATE (or somewhere within your jump capability) on the android screen. Would help immensely with VR :)

I have a new Tablet (Galaxy S2) and decided to give this a go. I have used Anddiscovery on my old tablet and that was partially successful. On my new tablet this works very well - its quick and transfer the pictures taken in a particular system to the tablet and "attaches" it to the appropriate system (only while tablet is running). The initial problem I had with EDProxy has gone away. It still takes a time to load but not the 30-40min it did the first time ( assume only adding new systems). Link to EDSM seems to work well as well.

Looking forward to the next version.

IO

I owe you all an apology. For the last several months I have been telling myself that I can contribute to this application, however the reality is I cannot any longer. The start-up that I joined 6 months into this project entered a new phase several months ago, and this has consumed all of my time. The desire is there but the time is not.

I would be ecstatic if someone would offer to take over, or fork this project. I would gladly help whomever made such a choice to understand what is going on in the code.

I am sorry that I did not post this sooner. I really thought, wanted, hoped that I could keep working on this project.

Duck Rodgers signing off. o7

Top Bottom