Peak - A new high point in exploration

Stories like this make me long for one of my suggestions linked in my signature: for Exploration Leaderboards for records in the game:

IN-GAME STELLAR CARTOGRAPHY GALACTIC RECORDS LEADERBOARD: This would be a new competitive (non-combat) multiplayer feature for explorers where the game keeps track of discovery records for things like "oldest M type star", "youngest black hole", "largest ammonia world", and so on for dozens of categories. Each record would list the system and object name, the CMDR who discovered it and the date. The current record holder list could be accessed from anywhere via a Stellar Cartography button on the ship's GalNet menu under the cockpit's left UI panel. Whenever a CMDR scans a planet or star which broke a record they would be notified via a pop up after scanning, but in order to actually log the record and get credit for it the pilot would need to hand in the exploration data and sell it.

It would be sweet if we could easily see the records and record holders in game, to give us goals to strive for.

Amazing, congratulations and well done.

I was wondering what to do next....

Have already been close to +/-3000, but a long time ago before engineers and neutron boosting, so it must be time for another go.

Stories like this make me long for one of my suggestions linked in my signature: for Exploration Leaderboards for records in the game:

IN-GAME STELLAR CARTOGRAPHY GALACTIC RECORDS LEADERBOARD: This would be a new competitive (non-combat) multiplayer feature for explorers where the game keeps track of discovery records for things like "oldest M type star", "youngest black hole", "largest ammonia world", and so on for dozens of categories. Each record would list the system and object name, the CMDR who discovered it and the date. The current record holder list could be accessed from anywhere via a Stellar Cartography button on the ship's GalNet menu under the cockpit's left UI panel. Whenever a CMDR scans a planet or star which broke a record they would be notified via a pop up after scanning, but in order to actually log the record and get credit for it the pilot would need to hand in the exploration data and sell it.

It would be sweet if we could easily see the records and record holders in game, to give us goals to strive for.

Absolutely agree. While we are genuinely supportive of each other and our accomplishments, the competitive nature is one of those subjects however that I think many explorers feel inside, but hesitate to vocalize. There is a certain romanticism tied to the early explorers in Earths history, but what is often glossed over is the fact that it was extremely competitive, and done for economic reasons as much as anything else.

Sites such as EDSM and Elite Galaxy Online have leaderboards and record holder sections for their own databases. Hell, EDSM even has a badge for breaking a record. I imagine many, if not most dedicated explorers derive at least some motivation from them.

This journey was the ulterior motive behind my asking about the galactic extremes :D I was heading down low to break my own previous record when I started to notice I was really a long way down, and it got me wondering about just how low and high people had gotten, so again, a huge thanks to you for running those numbers and putting them on your awesome Astrometrics site!

LOL yeah, I figured it was something like that. :D My pleasure, I'm glad it was useful!

EDIT: I see that this system is now in the spreadsheet too.

For those of us that aren't astronomers I'd also like it to flag up anything that's relatively rare, even if not a record.

Hey straha, can I just ask (sorry, didn't spot the actual figure in the OP), what was the final max altitude above the core that you reached (3142?) and also, am I right in thinking that this is a new record as far as we know?

Last edited:
Hey straha, can I just ask (sorry, didn't spot the actual figure in the OP), what was the final max altitude above the core that you reached (3142?) and also, am I right in thinking that this is a new record as far as we know?

Yeah, I could have been more clear with the specifics :D

The system is Systae Free AA-A h1, and it is 3180.46875 ly above the galactic plane. Per EDSM, this is the new highest point ever reached without the aid of the double neutron boost bug, while also returning to sell the data and get the tag.

The EDSM entry is here

Side note as well, how do I go about getting the EDSM entry updated with the name "Peak", and the information about it being the new high point and that kind of stuff?

Yeah, I could have been more clear with the specifics :D

The system is Systae Free AA-A h1, and it is 3180.46875 ly above the galactic plane. Per EDSM, this is the new highest point ever reached without the aid of the double neutron boost bug, while also returning to sell the data and get the tag.

The EDSM entry is here

Side note as well, how do I go about getting the EDSM entry updated with the name "Peak", and the information about it being the new high point and that kind of stuff?

Post it up in the galactic mapping project thread (pinned in Exploration). Every so often the posts are reviewed and noteworthy POIs are added. I set a new record lowest system without double neutron supercharging; I’m waiting for that to be added. The EDSM records page includes systems visited by any means (including double neutron and one way trips).

Congrats!
would like a record list per ship as Interested to know how far the asp x can go, I have no intention to buy an exploraconda,but would be cool to see the highest a sidewinder has gone, or lowest an eagle has been.

Congrats!
would like a record list per ship as Interested to know how far the asp x can go, I have no intention to buy an exploraconda,but would be cool to see the highest a sidewinder has gone, or lowest an eagle has been.

Thanks! My 68 ly AspX just barely has the legs to make this trip, but just does not have the fuel capacity as there are back to back jumps that have to use premium jumponium on near fumes on the way back down. The highest I have ever taken my Asp X is 3143 ly above the plane. I suspect that the main limiting factor for most ships going high and low is actually going to be the fuel capacity and manipulation as opposed to raw jump range.

Missed this post when it first went up but now having read it: a beautifully written tale and one which has only re-energised my enthusiasm for exploration. Well done!

Top Bottom