Perma Loss - How Many?

Honestly it kinda annoys me that I have that one claim tainting my stats. I might not mind it so much if I could at least remember when the hell it happened, but there's just, no memory of it in my head. Just an irritating 1 instead of a zero.
I wear my rebuys as a badge of honor! Don't give a Rat's about 'em. Now, if they were all from losing fights, that would be different :cry: One rebuy is from some guys blowing up my anti-Xeno ship at Celaeno. I didn't even know I was a target, I had just requested docking at the Lodge and wack, wack... BOOM! That one bugs me! I wasn't messing with anyone and just got attacked and destroyed for nothing and didn't even know what hit me, until I was later told and looked at log. Punks!

I would say, out of 30 INS claims, for a total of $48M, yeah, that was a lot of Vipers in the early days, and most of that $$$ would be the one anti-Thargoid ship and the T-9 I used to attack a FC. Ha!

ins.jpg

Last edited:
Someone is scared of getting blown up I see 😉

Where we are currently this would make no difference. No one suggested the whole game be changed to be like this. It's suggesting an Ironman mode. It really isn't as big of a deal as you're trying to make it

I couldn't care less about getting blown up. Losing my previous Commander name (under which I have the previous five year's exploration discoveries) and having to make a new one - yeah that I'd care about.

Obviously that's just a reason why I wouldn't use the mode but really, what is this - ironman for people who are too lacking in self-discipline to actually reset? Christ, talk about first world problems, can we fix everything else first and keep this for that day the devs wake up and say 'wow I think that's everything' :LOL:

Last edited:
Now, that hurts! :( Sorry. That sucks!

Oh it's never happened to me, because I'm not completely mental lol. However that's the issue that would present itself here - you can't make a new commander with the same name. If your suggestion would keep the account open and simply reset it, it would actually resolve the issue, but I'd be surprised if FDev coded it that way.

I couldn't care less about getting blown up. Losing my previous Commander name (under which I have the previous five year's exploration discoveries) and having to make a new one - yeah that I'd care about.

Obviously that's just a reason why I wouldn't use the mode but really, what is this - ironman for people who are too lacking in self-discipline to actually reset? Christ, talk about first world problems, can we fix everything else first and keep this for that day the devs wake up and say 'wow I think that's everything' :LOL:

I lack the self-discipline to not reset.

Thankfully I have two pc commandos now so if the urge hits me I can always reset the one with the least amount of work on it.

Oh it's never happened to me, because I'm not completely mental lol. However that's the issue that would present itself here - you can't make a new commander with the same name. If your suggestion would keep the account open and simply reset it, it would actually resolve the issue, but I'd be surprised if FDev coded it that way.

OH! Whew! Cool! Thought you meant it DID happen!

It's just a simple Mode you play in, lose your ship, LOSE your ship. That's all. Maybe I should propose a Superman Mode, lose your ship, lose your CMDR! I don't think anyone has the balls to play in that Mode, not even Hawk of Battle that's only lost a single ship in all his ED days! 😆

It's just a simple Mode you play in, lose your ship, LOSE your ship. That's all. Maybe I should propose a Superman Mode, lose your ship, lose your CMDR! I don't think anyone has the balls to play in that Mode, not even Hawk of Battle that's only lost a single ship in all his ED days! 😆

Yeah fair enough - discussions about the topic usually centre on ironman here so I think I overstated what you were actually asking for, which is essentially a mode that removes ship insurance and nothing else. Ship gone, engineered modules gone (presumably) but Commander him/herself intact to fight another day.

Yeah fair enough - discussions about the topic usually centre on ironman here so I think I overstated what you were actually asking for, which is essentially a mode that removes ship insurance and nothing else. Ship gone, engineered modules gone (presumably) but Commander him/herself intact to fight another day.
Yup, that's all. Just add a little more spice and risk. Nothing too serious. The problem is, let's say I lose my $1B+ Cutter. NO big deal, just rebuy for some tiny fraction of that total amount and off I go in my fully ENG Cutter with no real risk or cost, almost zero to lose. Ironman Mode adds that incentive to take things a bit more, umm, seriously. Anyway, never going to happen, not enough Hard Core peeps, and no one's ever going to intentionally pick the Sidewinder over their rebuy. Was just a thought to add some excitement. ;)

As long as we only lost modules and not engineer progression, (as per your idea) I'd probably bite actually. Having said that, I predominantly play solo to switch off from the world and given the almost negligible chance of actually losing a ship to an npc, I'd probably not be risking that much in reality. For open, yeah I can see that being a bit spicy lol. I can also see that very few people who do even semi-regular pvp would ever do it though, given how much they used to moan about repeatedly rolling engineer mods back in the God-rolling days.

Deleted member 121570

D
So long as it's an option that you can completely ignore, whatever :)
Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I treat ships as completely disposable, and dispose of them with abandon.
In my view, you can't learn where the limit is unless you're frequently exceeding it.

I also treat my rebuy count as a running joke, cos it's higher than anyone elses. Ever. :D
Although only a couple have ever been down to combat though.

Most of my rebuys are from trying to git gud at fa off canyon cruising.

Dude! I just lost another ship about two hours ago, trying to fly FAO. Smacked right into a station and BOOM! Small rebuy, was an Imperial Eagle. Almost thought I was going to be OK, ship was spinning and just kept spinning ... Ha! I thought, hmmm, looks like I might stop spinning and actually recover from this... then BOOM! 😆

So, that's 31 now... haha!

31.png

Last edited:
I lose eagles and sides trying to fly around inside the outside framework of the stations all the time. Soon(TM) I'll be good at it

I have tried to fly FAO, but there's just no way. I have an X52 Pro, and I can't possibly see how it's even remotely possible to fly FAO for any real amount of time. I go right out of control, well almost, as long as I hold straight, I am kind of OK, but any little movement of the stick and I am all over the road! Checkout this video I was watching last night, this dude is a FAO Beast!

Its a lot of real subtle movements and adjustments and it's pretty tricky but once you get it it starts to get easier. I'm still not great but I love going FAO in CZs in a vetted. Usually I'm sitting kinda still and just using small amounts of throttle forward or back to keep the target in front of me. It's really hard doing actual flight like that.

Last edited:
Yup, that's all. Just add a little more spice and risk. Nothing too serious. The problem is, let's say I lose my $1B+ Cutter. NO big deal, just rebuy for some tiny fraction of that total amount and off I go in my fully ENG Cutter with no real risk or cost, almost zero to lose. Ironman Mode adds that incentive to take things a bit more, umm, seriously. Anyway, never going to happen, not enough Hard Core peeps, and no one's ever going to intentionally pick the Sidewinder over their rebuy. Was just a thought to add some excitement. ;)
Excitement ? Fly to the Pleiades and kill some Targoids at once.

Top Bottom