Personal Bases

Suggestion for upcoming content that would allow for a more personal narrative:
The Below idea, I believe, would give players more of a stake in the Galaxy, and provide more of a sense of involvement, and a sense of ownership.
Perhaps it has been brought up before, or perhaps it's wishing in one hand, but... It would still be cool.

Personal Bases -
1. Implementation:
a. Simple one landing pad base similar to the INRA bases.
b. Perhaps obtainable by way of a broker similar to the technology broker.
(Collect X amount of materials to unlock, and open for purchase.)
c. Placeable by way of a dev mode or construction mode interface. Matching terrain.
d. Ideas for available placement options:
-On one of your first discovered planets / systems.
-On planets controlled by Factions or squadrons you are a member of.
-Not within x distance of existing bases.
Etc.
e. Only one personal base per player.
Base must be at selected location for period of time before being allowed to deconstruct and move.
Once deconstructed - period of time before allowed to build again in different location.

2. Services:
Minimal services, but should be able to:
Repair.
Restock.
Refuel.
Outfit stored items only. (purchases must be made elsewhere)
Shipyard and transfers. (Ability to transfer ships from other locations and change ships. Purchasing must be done elsewhere.)
Remote Engineering. (Unavailable. Remote Engineering must be done elsewhere.)

3. Upkeep -
a. Fuel- Perhaps limit the number of refuels per x time period or same as ships, except larger Purchase fuel for the base, and then ship refuels cost nothing, but you must by more fuel for the base when needed.
b. Repairs- Repair cost would be best perhaps as is and paid for.
c. Restock costs applied the same or having a stock same as the fuel.

More details needed, but if this were to ever become a thing, I’m sure it would be great for players.
Fleet carriers may be the same thing in a way, but this would be great for the individual.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
It would be interesting, and help players have more of a 'home'.

Of course, you'd need them to be indestructible like the current NPC bases or it would become the new sport to keep destroying bases under the name of 'emergent gameplay'.

A place to keep stuff would be nice.

Luckily, of course, FD has a couple of 'base building' games out already...

I'd love to buy / own a station / outpost whatever ... and it shouldn't be too difficult to implement, afterall they're already in the game.

I like the idea overall, as "player housing" is always a fun aspect of multiplayer games. However, I'd be cautious about the refueling component. That's one part I didn't like in some previous games, since it would force you to do upkeep every few days, and let's face it, real life gets in the way sometimes.

Besides, I like the idea of "planting my flag" somewhere out in the far reaches of the galaxy, and might not actually visit it all that often. ;) :D

I had an idea along these lines for player owned bases.

You buy and deliver a thing to a planet to plant a landing pad and basic housing. You acquire settlers however you choose to acquire people. You need to keep them fed, fuelled, etc, until they become self-sufficient at which they produce some form of income. I thought they could go insane and use their Jurassic Park game interface and make a minigame where we plan outposts that we then have to gather materials for, or just pay cash to import what is needed. They use the same engine, so there should be plenty of reusable code. There's plenty of planets to place stuff on, and they could go dwarf fort (Rimworld better fits setting, but whatever) and have there be way too much simulation of the individuals at your outpost , and have eventually rebel against you so you take all their air away.

What about Base ships that can plant there own planetary Bases :D

No, again no, why do I want a planetary base? I am an explorer, once I have visited and explored a location chances of me going back there are slim to say the least, unless something new has been discovered then I might visit, but that will still be just a visit, so why would I place a base there or anywhere? Do I put a base down and never go back, do I put a base down then limit myself to having to travel back to it to do things I need to do?

If you are a trader and pirate you might find a base near your trading routes or popular system useful, but as an explorer there's nothing about a fixed base that represents anything useful to me.

No, again no, why do I want a planetary base? I am an explorer, once I have visited and explored a location chances of me going back there are slim to say the least, unless something new has been discovered then I might visit, but that will still be just a visit, so why would I place a base there or anywhere? Do I put a base down and never go back, do I put a base down then limit myself to having to travel back to it to do things I need to do?

If you are a trader and pirate you might find a base near your trading routes or popular system useful, but as an explorer there's nothing about a fixed base that represents anything useful to me.

Dont you ever do Planetary Exploration? or do you just scan everything and jump.

Top Bottom