Petition to work on getting van Maanen's Star back under the control of the Sublime Order of van Maanen's Star

The only reason VMS has a permit at all is because the ruling religious order wanted their privacy and thus wanted to control access to the system; a scenario which was set up by the Federation on behalf of the GFS hundreds of years ago. It's the only FE2 permit that made the transition across to ED.

If the SOVMS aren't the ruling faction of VMS any more, then the permit should simply evaporate, because without the SOVMS in control, then the system is just like any other system in the Hutt Empire and has no reason for a permit. Or make the permit a requirement for landing on the planet (and put a starport on the planet under permanent SOVMS control) rather than accessing the system.

Unfortunately, the permit system was designed before the lets-change-system-ownership-easily-via-the-BGS mechanism was put in place, and it's too late to do anything about it now.

The only reason VMS has a permit at all is because the ruling religious order wanted their privacy and thus wanted to control access to the system; a scenario which was set up by the Federation on behalf of the GFS hundreds of years ago. It's the only FE2 permit that made the transition across to ED.

If the SOVMS aren't the ruling faction of VMS any more, then the permit should simply evaporate, because without the SOVMS in control, then the system is just like any other system in the Hutt Empire and has no reason for a permit. Or make the permit a requirement for landing on the planet (and put a starport on the planet under permanent SOVMS control) rather than accessing the system.

Unfortunately, the permit system was designed before the lets-change-system-ownership-easily-via-the-BGS mechanism was put in place, and it's too late to do anything about it now.
Ross 128 (I can't remember if YZ Canis Majoris/Minoris (which ever it is) has a permit)

i don't understand what you mean by that. it was always possible to change system and station control. i remember flipping a system by chance in early summer 2015, 6 months after launch. it just took a few more months to figure out how to exactly trigger a conflict, but it was possible since start.

The permits would have been in-game since alpha (even if most of the permit-systems were unreachable, outside of the Pill, at the time). It's my understanding that the faction BGS system was added sometime during the beta testing.

I gather there's a modifier which makes a permit-locked system harder to flip (but not impossible, obviously, as many have been flipped).

Unfortunately I suspect the modifier still applies after flipping, so it then protects the system from being flipped back to the permit-issuing faction. If so, that needs to be changed, the modifier should only limit influence changes while the permit-holding faction controls the system.

Ross 128 (I can't remember if YZ Canis Majoris/Minoris (which ever it is) has a permit)

That was a prison colony in Frontier Elite 2 - I remember not asking for the permit from the mission giver that sent me there a few times and getting heavily fined for not having it...

It's the one permit I remember because of that.

Is it still a prison?

I feel like that's a system that should have been BGS locked.

However, since it isn't you'd have to take the view in game that the Federation was never that serious about protecting it and are more interested in the trade potential offered by a large independent cooperative faction.

Profit rules the Federation and it would seem the Sublime Order are no different to any other faction to them.

Should a small native faction be helped to regain it's home system from a larger foreign invader? Normally I'd argue yes, but my anarchist commander isn't going to support a faction that would bring about tighter laws to a populace. Good luck to the truckers with this one.

That was a prison colony in Frontier Elite 2 - I remember not asking for the permit from the mission giver that sent me there a few times and getting heavily fined for not having it...

It's the one permit I remember because of that.

Is it still a prison?
ROSS 128 info.jpg

The Mad Monks of Van Maanen are a dangerous pseudo religious sect and shouldn't be allowed to control such a lovely system.

Hutton preserves their existence as a tourist attraction in the system but espouses free trade and as such, we keep the local space lanes free of piracy and of course your letterbox free of loonie leaflets from the Mad Monks.

The Mad Monks of Van Maanen are a dangerous pseudo religious sect and shouldn't be allowed to control such a lovely system.

Hutton preserves their existence as a tourist attraction in the system but espouses free trade and as such, we keep the local space lanes free of piracy and of course your letterbox free of loonie leaflets from the Mad Monks.

This thread has made me want to actually play that part of the game a bit - to deny the truckers this system, they call monks loonies, but they were set up by people who found it perfectly sane to travel to Hutton Orbital? - and, set up an almost cult like obsession with this ridiculous journey? (for the mug, anyone?)

I'm not sure I can handle that level of hypocrisy.

But I like loonie leaflets from the Mad Monks, they make good firelighters

As I understand it, permit locks now prevent expansion into the system, but that wasn't the case back in the early days of the game and was changed when a certain group were looking to make a serious push at inserting an alliance faction into Sol.

Top Bottom