Cats around here are just part of the meal deal, uh, that is, "circle of life". The cougars, coyotes, occasional fox and bear, and larger raptors gotta eat too. Oh, and gray wolves are coming back as well.
That said, I'm owned by 3 cats, who come and go as they please. As it should be.

Cats around here are just part of the meal deal, uh, that is, "circle of life". The cougars, coyotes, occasional fox and bear, and larger raptors gotta eat too. Oh, and gray wolves are coming back as well.
That said, I'm owned by 3 cats, who come and go as they please. As it should be.
Yes, if a cat has the possibility to go out, we must not imprison it.

Used to have cats only in my life even tho I come from a farm so growing up with all kinds of animals but none I would consider a "pet".

My parents got a cat shortly before I left the house. Still in that short time the cat (female) chose me as its human. Afterwards I got 1 cat together with my wife and we soon increased the number to 2 and eventually 3 afterwards. I wasnt there for my first cats death..only learned about it afterwards but I was crushed. One of my three cats had a "freak event" where is simply died over 4 days without any appearant cause (vet said she might ve had blood leukemia) and it ripped me apart as I was holdings her paw (her name was Shady, a jet back devil just a year old). The latest loss has been my first of the trio.....Spike, a white and creme male, he was very attached to us and wasnt easy with the others still Shady loved him and while they were fighting a lot she always sought him out to snuggle and sleep with him, despite the bites and warnings she got...didnt care....just crawled all over him and slept with him (sobs). His liver gave out 1 year ago...he always was thin to a degree where he looked malnourished. He was eating like a tractor but his body couldnt draw all the things from his food anymore. We provided suplements and medicie which always only helped for a time. He was by far the most expensive pet and took the most effort....I didnt care. Only at the end when his body started to shut down making him starve before our eyes I made the decision for him and I hate myself to this day.

The remaining cat is an old lady of 15 years, shes called Missy and is a triple-color. She has been the runt of the litter when we picked her up and she had a hard time at first due to all the worms and other things she got. Also while friendly shes is a very reclusive cat, we always wondered if she had feral parts. Together with Spike she simply avoided him and had a lot of hiding places. When Shady enterd our household things got worse for her. Shady was always picking on her and we didnt noticed how bad it got for her. Only after Shady was gone did she get out of her shell again and in the year since Spike went away has blossomed to a very trusting and clingy cat. Shes following me around like a duckling, always asking for attention and even sleeps with us (never did that before). But she also sleeps most of the time. Its very rare that she finds any toy interesting anymore. I m trying to come to terms that this could end at any time and try to enjoy the time I have with her. Shes getting really pampered too. Only the best food, constant fondling, no scolding or punishment of any kind regardless what she does.

I know I will break down whe shes going. Its inevitable.

We are not going to "try out" new additions at the moment after we realized that shes a loner but once we have the opportunity I would very much like to get a dog. I always was more of a dog person I think but previous pet decision were made because of our work forcing whatever we got to stay alone for most of the day. Today with a more lax working schedule I ll be able to stay with the dog and care for him more. I m a little nervous because I dont know what kind of fitness regime a pup will demand and if I can provide that but I m willing to try.

Top Bottom