Hamilton. Border Collie/English Springer Spaniel Cross. Most people call them Sprollies.
Best dog I've ever owned.
Can hear a fridge door open from 500 yards.

Currently:

3 cats
1 dog
1 rabbit
3 chinchillas
1 guinea pig

Deceased or given away within the last few years:

2 tortoises
1 triton
3 guinea pigs
1 cat
1 rat
2 giant snails
Loads of hamsters
Half a dozen chinchillas

The cats are my favourites in general. The rat was better, but its easy to become attached to them, they are really clever, but they don't live that long and as we discovered, often die from cancer. Ours got it in the belly, it became massively distended and was obviously really bad towards the end. Swore never again would i have one after that.

Unforuntatly the night I wrote that, my amazing cat was runover and killed. To say I am devastated is an understatement.
That is so sad. You need to get it over with as soon as possible. Be it left with the vets or under the ground, to deal with the grieving process. Yes there will be tears, lots of them and it will be so sad, when you see things like bowls or toys etc..

Over two weeks after laying my last one to rest, I found myself, looking for him, during one of my 'going to bed, nightly routines'. Yes I was a little drunk and checking that all of our pets, were in their napping places, when I found myself, calling his name; before bursting into tears.

Last edited:
View attachment 131086

Hamilton. Border Collie/English Springer Spaniel Cross. Most people call them Sprollies.
Best dog I've ever owned.
Can hear a fridge door open from 500 yards.
We have two dogs, one in the Avatar and a Yorkie. She loves ginger nuts and can tell the difference between the sound of opening the digestives (which she can take or leave) and the ginger nuts packet. Which always gets her full attention.

That is so sad. You need to get it over with as soon as possible. Be it left with the vets or under the ground, to deal with the grieving process. Yes there will be tears, lots of them and it will be so sad, when you see things like bowls or toys etc..

Over two weeks after laying my last one to rest, I found myself, looking for him, during one of my 'going to bed, nightly routines'. Yes I was a little drunk and checking that all of our pets, where in their napping places, when I found myself, calling his name; before bursting into tears.
I dug his grave yesterday and laid him down to rest with the family. We all will miss him for a long time.

Rest in piece little fella

TYgCRJr.jpg

Unforuntatly the night I wrote that, my amazing cat was runover and killed. To say I am devastated is an understatement.
I'm sorry for you and I feel your terrible suffering.

I also lost a lot of cats. It's a tragedy every time.

Bengal cats are known to live dangerously and often at big risk to their lives.

My condolences are with you in your despair.

May you manage to overcome with the months and years to come of this terrible tragedy.

:(

Last edited:
Not sure they count as pets exactly but I am a beekeeper.
If it was up to me I'd love them and hug them and squeeze them and call them George.
They - on the other hand - spend most of the time I'm near them trying to kill me so I nick their honey for revenge.

Last edited:
Here's my "pets", though i never planned to get pigeons or even thought of getting any pets whatsoever during when this all unfolded.
It was October 2017 and i was having a smoke outside, all of a sudden a white dove flies past me, makes a circle and lands right in front of me.
I was like.. errrrr.. huh?
For the next few days it didn't leave the balcony.
I didn't mind, i adore all kinds of birds, they are intriguing lifeforms (there a pair of Crows that visit almost every day for the past 4 years,
whenever I'm home. So a few days later there was a storm brewing and furniture started flying wild outside.
I was panicking what to do about the pigeon, as it refused to leave, so my girlfriend decided to save the day and grabbed it.
We left him by the window, he watched from inside while the storm was passing.
Well, little did i know, that was the beginning of quite a situation. Zamunda, as i called him by then, he felt like this was his new home and i was kinda screwed.
Oh well, one pigeon, can't be too bad. Weeelll turned out Zamunda is quite the Dandy and after a few weeks all of a sudden he brought more pigeon(girls) to show off.
(and you might think i'm exaggerating or making this up, i'm not!) So after a few "dates" he seemed to have settled on Rose, she's the one in the back in the first picture, and she has a black feathertail.) Sooo, since it did give me a little joy (they actually distracted me a lot from what else was going on in my life, but i'm not gonna go into that here)
to have them around, i began to build them a shelter. Then, they began to breed.. without any end, one pair of eggs after the next, i tried to replace the eggs but on one occasion i wasn't quick enoough and the eggs had already developed. I couldn't bring myself to throwing them away, the eggs were moving and twitching.
So i went with it. A week later they broke through. So now it was a family. Zamunda, Rose, Idey and Ody. (If you think those names are weird, they have a deeper meaning to me.) Zamunda, the Prince of Zamunda from the Movie Coming to America. Rose, the beautiful, but tough and thorny flower. Idey and Ody are the Twins from Captain Eo.
There here still, and by now it's like they've always been here. Zamunda can be quite annoying at times but then he looks at you (and he seriously likes to tick me off on purpose sometimes, he knows) as if nothing happened. I know he knows because i taught them to be silent when i make a specific sound.
Often he complies but sometimes it's like "yeeeaah, whatever" and only he does that.

Anyhow, these are my pets. I included a few pictures when Idey was still young (second picture) and from their first Winter. Ody can be seen in the 4th picture on the right.
Zamunda is the one with the rings. Only he has rings, i'm not into pigeon "sports" or anything like that, i just enjoy their company and look after them.
20180206_080725PSedit.jpg

20180403_132136PSedit.jpg

Zamunda2PSedit.jpg
ZamundaEtOdeyPSedit.jpg
ZamundaEtIdyEtOdeyPSedit.jpg

cheers,
Arti

My cats back. Lost one in 2016 and exactly a year later, the other in 2017.

Miss them both and as a tribute to them, I have the HCS Voicepack, "The Ship's Cat", so they can join me in this game.

Sorry for your loss, they were gorgeous. It says a lot about you, how you still hold their memory high.

Here's my "pets", though i never planned to get pigeons or even thought of getting any pets whatsoever during when this all unfolded.
It was October 2017 and i was having a smoke outside, all of a sudden a white dove flies past me, makes a circle and lands right in front of me.
I was like.. errrrr.. huh?
For the next few days it didn't leave the balcony.
I didn't mind, i adore all kinds of birds, they are intriguing lifeforms (there a pair of Crows that visit almost every day for the past 4 years,
whenever I'm home. So a few days later there was a storm brewing and furniture started flying wild outside.
I was panicking what to do about the pigeon, as it refused to leave, so my girlfriend decided to save the day and grabbed it.
We left him by the window, he watched from inside while the storm was passing.
Well, little did i know, that was the beginning of quite a situation. Zamunda, as i called him by then, he felt like this was his new home and i was kinda screwed.
Oh well, one pigeon, can't be too bad. Weeelll turned out Zamunda is quite the Dandy and after a few weeks all of a sudden he brought more pigeon(girls) to show off.
(and you might think i'm exaggerating or making this up, i'm not!) So after a few "dates" he seemed to have settled on Rose, she's the one in the back in the first picture, and she has a black feathertail.) Sooo, since it did give me a little joy (they actually distracted me a lot from what else was going on in my life, but i'm not gonna go into that here)
to have them around, i began to build them a shelter. Then, they began to breed.. without any end, one pair of eggs after the next, i tried to replace the eggs but on one occasion i wasn't quick enoough and the eggs had already developed. I couldn't bring myself to throwing them away, the eggs were moving and twitching.
So i went with it. A week later they broke through. So now it was a family. Zamunda, Rose, Idey and Ody. (If you think those names are weird, they have a deeper meaning to me.) Zamunda, the Prince of Zamunda from the Movie Coming to America. Rose, the beautiful, but tough and thorny flower. Idey and Ody are the Twins from Captain Eo.
There here still, and by now it's like they've always been here. Zamunda can be quite annoying at times but then he looks at you (and he seriously likes to tick me off on purpose sometimes, he knows) as if nothing happened. I know he knows because i taught them to be silent when i make a specific sound.
Often he complies but sometimes it's like "yeeeaah, whatever" and only he does that.

Anyhow, these are my pets. I included a few pictures when Idey was still young (second picture) and from their first Winter. Ody can be seen in the 4th picture on the right.
Zamunda is the one with the rings. Only he has rings, i'm not into pigeon "sports" or anything like that, i just enjoy their company and look after them.
View attachment 131141
View attachment 131142
View attachment 131146View attachment 131147View attachment 131148

cheers,
Arti

Sorry for your loss, they were gorgeous. It says a lot about you, how you still hold their memory high.
Pigeon? They look like Doves. I have a pair of Collared Doves, that have nested in a tree in my garden, for decades. (no the same pair, but generations of the same family. They come back, every year.

Pigeon? They look like Doves. I have a pair of Collared Doves, that have nested in a tree in my garden, for decades. (no the same pair, but generations of the same family. They come back, every year.

In German they're both called the same, Tauben. But you are correct, they would be called doves in english.

Question:
What pets do you have, if you haven't any what would you like?

We have rats, currently have five though we've had up to nine in the past. Adorable wee creatures and very intelligent. How could anyone resist these cuties...

I think that only another pet lover can truly understand what it means when our pets die. Rats don't live particularly long - around 3 1/2 years is a long life for a rat. We've lost our share and it breaks our hearts each time. But we comfort ourselves knowing that we gave them a great life and they were well-loved. The last one of ours to die was Snuggles a few months back; she'd had a stroke when she was young but outlived all her sisters. In the end she had several mammary tumours (female rats are very prone to this), so we had to take her on the one way journey to the vet. She loved the vet, and she was boggling and bruxing (something rats do when they're super-happy) and she died in our arms. Our vets were excellent as always; they have a quiet room where me and my partner were able to sit and cry our eyes out.

Our current mischief (the collective noun for a group of rats) are so active and hyper - one of them, Nimbus, is albino and completely blind. She's adopted me and gets upset if she doesn't get the chance to groom me each day lol.

As a small aside, all our little ones have been rescues from the SSPCA or from others who could no longer look after them. We never, ever, get pets from a pet shop - doing so would only support breeding farms and the awful 'factory production' of animals to sell.

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Top Bottom