Phase 3 - Initial Feedback Response

Bruce G

Community Manager
Frontier
Greetings commanders,

Thank you for all the feedback so far on Phase 3! We've collected and shared many of your comments with the development team and will continue to do so for the rest of the phase. Here's an update on two of the most pressing issues:

The Genetic Sampler​

We've heard you loud and clear about the sampling minigame mechanics and place within Elite Dangerous. We understand that a manual reactions-based minigame is not a good fit in this context and will remove it in time for launch or shortly after. Instead, the tool will take samples automatically (exact implementation TBD). This may mean that the circles instead appear only to indicate the level of sample completion: e.g. sample 1 completes the first ring, sample 2 the second, and sample 3 the third.

The Detailed Surface Scanner (DSS)​

We've also received many reports about planets being highlighted entirely in green by the Detailed Surface Scanner. This is a known issue resulting from the new planetary tech not being in its final state. This is unlikely to be fully resolved during the alpha, but will be fixed in time for launch when planetary tech changes are final.

Thank once again for your feedback which is critical to the alpha process. We hope you'll continue sharing feedback and reporting any bugs you encounter on our Issue Tracker.

o7

Your solution for the Genetic Sampler is not going to cut it. It feels like a feeble cop out on your part. We didn't like the implementation you came up with so now you have taken the game play out altogether? That is not a solution. It needs replacing with viable game play instead of just no game play.

Your solution for the Genetic Sampler is not going to cut it. It feels like a feeble cop out on your part. We didn't like the implementation you came up with so now you have taken the game play out altogether? That is not a solution. It needs replacing with viable game play instead of just no game play.

Disagree.

Taking a sample should not involve having to play a silly game whilst doing so. It's taking a sample.

Any additional gameplay should be at some kind of analysis stage.

Bruce G

Community Manager
Frontier
Removing the clicking mini-game is only half of the solution to the problem of the exobiology gameplay loop. Saying "exact implementation TBD" at this stage considering how close we are to release. My only hope is that you are leaning somewhere close towards this as a solution.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6wmmotwQa8

We've seen the requests for a puzzle-based replacement, but concluded from the feedback that having a minigame to take the actual samples provided unnecessary friction.

Bruce G

Community Manager
Frontier

We understand some players would have preferred to keep the minigame and have it adjusted, but we can't please everybody. The majority of the feedback pointed to the conclusion that the Exobiology gameplay loop didn't benefit from the minigame at the sampling stage.

Nice!

The major feedback for the Odyssey:
Create more enviroments to explore on foot like ancient ruins, thargoid ruins, caverns, abandoned space ships, abandoned stations etc...

3 main areas to focus in foot gameplay: Aliens, enviroments and story.

Elite is the best space Sim ever.
Can be one of the best games ever.
Devs, please don't waste this opportunity!

Cheers,
Denis

So you are removing entirely the mini-game instead of replacing it with something a bit more interesting, with a scientific approach? It seems like shortcut, but the deadlines must be tight. Hopefully this will be further enhanced in the future so explorers can enjoy some fun on the surface instead of simply clicking on every plants.
I would have simply slowed the mini-game, or removed the speed entirely. Players would have to re-align the circles to get the required symbol / bars / DNA in order to extract the data. A player did an interesting video about this

Thanks for the heads up regarding the green planets and good luck for the development!

Last edited:
We've seen the requests for a puzzle-based replacement, but concluded from the feedback that having a minigame to take the actual samples provided unnecessary friction.

100% agree.

I note that you combined a sampling mechanic with an analysis mechanic in the same operation.

Suggestion: If you split those two up - sample, then analyse later - then you could be justified in turning the analysis stage into additional gameplay.

Regds. o7

Fantastic to hear about the genetic samples but I think you're missing an opportunity for this process. Making it automatically is the "throwing the baby out with the bath water" issue.

IMO if you change the reaction to a manual puzzle. Allowing us to manually move the ring to match it. Maybe make it more complex in the process. You can also make a "Efficiency" bonus. Combining the gameplay mechanics of system scanning and planetary mapping. This reinforces this as the "last thing" a explorer does and is a skill check of the first two things you do leading up to it.

This is my 2 cents tho so if anyone has a much better idea please comment.

This mini-game made me think back to the last time there was a universally reviled change - the Blue Store button.

Anyone else think we're going to have a repeat of that?

1618931708055.png

Removing the clicking mini-game is only half of the solution to the problem of the exobiology gameplay loop. Saying "exact implementation TBD" at this stage considering how close we are to release. My only hope is that you are leaning somewhere close towards this as a solution.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6wmmotwQa8

It's sad that a player can come up with a better solution and make a youtube of it in less time than it takes FDev to acknowledge that they made a design mistake.

I'd 100% prefer the solution in that video than the current mini game or the point and click and forget idea FDev are thinking about.

The Genetic Sampler​

We've heard you loud and clear about the sampling minigame mechanics and place within Elite Dangerous. We understand that a manual reactions-based minigame is not a good fit in this context and will remove it in time for launch or shortly after. Instead, the tool will take samples automatically (exact implementation TBD). This may mean that the circles instead appear only to indicate the level of sample completion: e.g. sample 1 completes the first ring, sample 2 the second, and sample 3 the third.

Thank you! o7

Okay but I can say for me personally that not having any kind of game play makes this just as bad as it was having the bad game play and will put me off from doing any of this. Just running around and clicking on things just isn't what this game play should be about, no more than it should be about reflexes.

Top Bottom