Phase 4 Feedback Thread

I've never spent much time making money in Elite, solely for the purpose of making money. There will be a lot of cool stuff with Odyssey when it arrives, that probably won't initially generate much cash - which I'm fine with. However, my Carrier will still be racking up rental charges that I've always felt were over the top. Would now be a good time to reduce those charges to something more manageable, it just seems a bit harsh for people that just like playing the game rather than gaming the play.
If you are off ship and carrying out on foot exploration or missions the rental charges could/should be reduced to a bare minimum.
Suggestion: Secondary operation on arc cutter. Detail: Magnetic tip of arc cutter on off for panel extraction. (Or similar fix)

Panels are too consistent with falling into its parent body after removal. With a magnetic nozzle on the arc cutter in secondary fire, we could remove panels that are stuck. Once away from parent body we can let the panel go in a better position where they do not block ability to interact with what is behind it
There are two issues with this 1. It becomes an excuse not to have been able to code it correctly, 2. You introduce more coding that may also fail to perform. Far better to fix the original coding.

OK, sorry to keep bringing this up, but I seriously hope the Devs are going to let us assign hot-keys for Med-kits and Energy Cells.....the item wheel is still simply too slow and cumbersome during the heat of battle.

Also, can we please start getting wreckage that's bigger than a Cobra? How about a Type-10, or an Anaconda.....a ship that is big enough for us to enter into and walk around on foot (assuming its sufficiently damaged, of course).

We need to talk about NPC Crew.

They have always taken a percentage of everything you earn (and of your XP), but it seems worse now that we're doing a lot of surface missions and other activities to which they contribute literally nothing. For example if you take a Frontline Combat Shuttle to a surface CZ to which they can't possibly come along, when you come to hand in your bonds, they still take a hefty percentage of the meagre payout you get for surface work, for having put their feet up in the bar for an hour.

I've had my crew for years, since she was Mostly Useless and have helped her level up 'til she's Quite Effective. I don't want to sack her. I don't want to just pick up a new Crew for a specific job and drop them afterwards - my crew member has become far too three dimensional for me to be happy with that. But it is becoming really quite grating for me to have to cough-up a large percentage of all my earnings, even those to which she has contributed nothing.

There are two solutions in my view:

1) give crew a much more active role. We have NPC Apex pilots now, so really our Pilots should be sitting next to us in the cockpit. It would be brilliant to see our crew in the second chair in our ships (when we're not hosting other CMDRs), a major step forward. If they're on active duty, they should be there, even if there's no SLF installed. Then they really can be taking an active role in looking after your ship when you drive away in your SRV. And if my pilot was running into ground combat next to me (I would love that so much), I would have no objection at all to paying them their share.

2) We should be able to take them off active duty, and while they're off duty they should earn a much lower share - say a third of their normal rate - and also not take any of your XP. A slight penalty - maybe a small delay or cost while they grab an Apex to your location - would help dissuade people from gaming this system too much.

Either, or ideally both, of these would really improve the relationship we have with our NPC Crew

Why when you take a salvage mission showing no threat level and you find 5 NPC commandos with hand weapons able to take down the engineered shields powered by other engineered modules of a robust Midrange combat ship with 4 pips to system when said shields are more than adequate for space combat against other combat ships?
It suggests some serious lowering of portable / hand held weapons parameters are needed against ships. If it were a very High Threat Mission or a Combat Drop Mission I could totally understand that the existing ground forces may have or would have set up some light ground to air / 'space' weapons for the purpose of permanent hovering / lurking of player ships that would be good and I would expect that and in favour of that. However all the NPC soldiers etc. should not have that capability, when you consider the engineering involved and power backing up ship shields. (The term 'space' used loosely as the various atmosphere's are very thin). If they were to Carry rocket launchers for example there would be a natural physical limit to their Ammo, none of them are seen to run to a weapons stash to get more lol.

Last edited:
OK, sorry to keep bringing this up, but I seriously hope the Devs are going to let us assign hot-keys for Med-kits and Energy Cells.....the item wheel is still simply too slow and cumbersome during the heat of battle.

Also, can we please start getting wreckage that's bigger than a Cobra? How about a Type-10, or an Anaconda.....a ship that is big enough for us to enter into and walk around on foot (assuming its sufficiently damaged, of course).
Agreed on the wheel.

Just a positive comment to throw in here, among all the bug reports:

I love the idea of using heat maps to find things that are more "organically" placed on the planet's surface. I'm looking forward to having a reason to explore the surface of some worlds. I haven't checked to see if the SRV's wave scanner will detect the new biologicals, but if it does, I think we'll really have something cool. I always felt that the SRV's scanner was a great example of something done right, where it's a simple tool that facilitates an in-world way to explore. But hunting for meteorites alone was not really that engaging. Adding life to the mix, along with a heat map visible from space with which to narrow the search, will be much more enjoyable. Thank you for this!

Several people have commented about the Auto Land feature and I have to agree it is incredibly good at finding the roughest terrain to put down on, yesterday it landed my T10 in ground so rough I could barely get out on for using my jump gear the SRV was stuck in place fortunately I only had to scramble through the rough stuff for a few seconds to get to the flat ground.
There really needs to be a faster way to enable/disable than powering down the module or finding the Ship tab then the Chip icon followed by finding the Auto Land switch, another key bind please. Unless of course it is made to be less insane on release.

For various reasons it would be useful if we had an option to deploy onto the top of our ships when disembarking on a planet.

I keep finding bits of the useful features of the old Galaxy Map scattered in different places in the new one having had several years of experience with the old layout the new one doesn’t yet really make sense yet, I am undecided whether to join the calls for a return to the old map interface or just appeal for a comprehensive tutorial/walk through to explain what is now where and how it all works.

If you do do tutorials etc as videos please include them in or link them from the game.

Several people have commented about the Auto Land feature and I have to agree it is incredibly good at finding the roughest terrain to put down on, yesterday it landed my T10 in ground so rough I could barely get out on for using my jump gear the SRV was stuck in place fortunately I only had to scramble through the rough stuff for a few seconds to get to the flat ground.
There really needs to be a faster way to enable/disable than powering down the module or finding the Ship tab then the Chip icon followed by finding the Auto Land switch, another key bind please. Unless of course it is made to be less insane on release.

For various reasons it would be useful if we had an option to deploy onto the top of our ships when disembarking on a planet.

I keep finding bits of the useful features of the old Galaxy Map scattered in different places in the new one having had several years of experience with the old layout the new one doesn’t yet really make sense yet, I am undecided whether to join the calls for a return to the old map interface or just appeal for a comprehensive tutorial/walk through to explain what is now where and how it all works.

If you do do tutorials etc as videos please include them in or link them from the game.
1.The auto landing really just needs some more optimising most likely, to ensure it can land or re-land on fairly sensibly flattish surfaces, I have wondered if it was still running old code from before, they crucified the terrain around the new on site missions which appear to have been deliberately, designed, for Marathon Runners or those looking to tackle parts of an army assault course, or some one in an exoskeleton suit would be really neat :D , to get there instead of on foot.
2.The SRV was more than capable of managing most previous world's surfaces, so it probably has not been considered, for an upgrade in capabilities. unless they are bringing out a second version, such as some form of hover craft or a short range light one-man drone :D, which would also be really cool. especially as NASA are considering it for future use on MARS, in our real time of 2021, now they have tested that tiny one this year.
In addition the SRV's on ground speed to steering is all to crazy worse than a demolition derby now in Odyssey, that needs some sensible re-thinking now.

I can't switch ships anymore. Anyone else experiencing this? Submitted a bug report.

Update: as of 1235hrs EST on 3 May
Transfered all my ships to another system (again). All arrived and are displayed in my ships. The "Use this Ship" button is still grayed out except for the ship I was in when phase 4 started and the ship I switched to within the first day or so. None of the other ships are accessible.

Last edited:
Seems a bit weird that abandoned/evacuated have trespass zones and working landing pads that require docking permission. And who is monitoring for those weapons violations?

Some cosmetic weirdness appears to have happened to my hired NPCs. From the reaction we had last time this happened - put on your flak jackets. :p

Just a positive comment to throw in here, among all the bug reports:

I love the idea of using heat maps to find things that are more "organically" placed on the planet's surface. I'm looking forward to having a reason to explore the surface of some worlds. I haven't checked to see if the SRV's wave scanner will detect the new biologicals, but if it does, I think we'll really have something cool. I always felt that the SRV's scanner was a great example of something done right, where it's a simple tool that facilitates an in-world way to explore. But hunting for meteorites alone was not really that engaging. Adding life to the mix, along with a heat map visible from space with which to narrow the search, will be much more enjoyable. Thank you for this!
The srv scanner doesn't detect plants unfortunately but it would be cool if it did

Few suggestions about new UI:

Maps:
While in galaxy map when I'm zoomed in as much as possible to system and try to zoom even more it could open the system map.
That Would feel intuitive IMHO as the system map is actually a more zoomed-in version of the galaxy map.
and vice versa, zooming out a lot in the system map could move me to a galaxy map.

Also Targeting the selected system by double-clicking would be nice.

Those would not interfere with how maps currently work and would add a possibility to navigate and use them faster.

Station:
I would suggest moving the default option (Mission Board) to the center and surround it with 4 other most common options, so I can select them with one click using my hotas. That should also work great for gamepads/ consoles (anything else than a mouse).

Having Market, Outfitting, Contacts, and Authorities around the default option so I can select them by just pressing up/down/left/right would IMHO make navigation faster and easier with what seems to be minimal change.

Outfitting:
If there is only one category (e.g. Power Plants) I have to select it. Seems like an additional click when I don't have any other option.
I think when there is only one category to select from it should select automatically.

When buying modules by selecting them from a shop (top option in outfitting), I have to select the module I want to buy and then select the slot in which I want the module to be placed.
After that, I'm moved to the "Ship Loadout" version of the outfitting.
Now to buy another module (Let's say another laser) I have to select the slot where I want the module to go and then select which module I want to buy.
It's kinda weird that when buying few modules the procedure changes after buying the first one.

I would prefer it to go this way:
a) I select in the shop what module I want.
b) I select the slot in which I want the module to be installed
c) I still see a list of slots like in step b, and now can select another slot to place another module inside of it.
That would make buying multiple instances of the same module much faster and easier.
I would select a cargo rack in a shop and then select few slots to fit that module in all of them.
That would be super nice if that would auto-scale module size if necessary,
e.g. I selected class 4 gimballed beam laser and selected H hardpoint to put that in.
Then I select L hardpoint and the class 3 gimballed beam laser is placed in this slot.

After having a team mate in ship with you and entering a station you get the message that you can't outfit your ship while having a team mate, if they then leave you still can't outfit, you have to leave the game and go back in for it to them allow outfitting.

I am not sure if they are supposed to work together, and they don't, but it would be be good if in the Gal Map the User Data View and the Map Mode selections worked together.
For example select to show stellar class from Map Mode and unvisited from User Data View to exclude say M class stars from a list of unvisited. Currently as soon as you choose other button, it negates the filter from the first

Top Bottom