Phoenix Point is another Epic Exclusive!

Sounds like they've paid him a big chunk of change

This deal is a real game changer for our studio, because, thanks to Epic’s support, it is certain that we will be able to update and expand Phoenix Point for years to come.

Epic seem to be throwing money at buying market share, I'd prefer if they did it by selling cheap games and having sales. Although to be fair they do give away games fairly regularly

Last edited:
I backed it on fig so I'm gonna get it anyway. I'm not gonna refund in a rage fit like the commenters on the reddit post :D

I'm skipping Metro until I can get it cheaper though, £50 is a bit steep

Last edited:
MAYBE I'LL buy it when it is on Steam during a sale, but definitely not for full price.

By the way, two years ago it sounded quite different, but them greenbacks were just too juicy, huh, Timmy Boy?

"Well, I should be very clear," Sweeney said. "The thing that I feel is incredibly important for the future of the industry is that the PC platform remains open,
so that any user without any friction can install applications from any developer, and ensure that no company,
Microsoft or anybody else, can insert themselves by force as the universal middleman, and force developers to sell through them instead of selling directly to customers."

https://www.pcgamer.com/tim-sweeney-microsoft-uwp-is-still-woefully-inadequate/

Last edited:
I really can't understand where is the problem in installing a simple client.

I've deleted my Epic account recently. Because of their security that is as solid as Swiss cheese. I had this account for a very long time, used to play UT. Since Fortnite released there was no end to fake login attempts from China, password reset requests, etc. This was happening to thousands and thousands of other people. You don't have to go too far to find feedback on all of this. Epic can't handle their security. Once their platform blew up it all escalated. That's good enough reason to not install "another simple client". At least I didn't have my credit card info exposed, since UT was a free game. Not to mention that the client itself is terrible.

Last edited:

Speaking only for myself, it's not a matter of installing a simple client.

As a customer, I don't want:

- To have a multitude of launchers running on my PC
- To have my credit card and personal data spread around a bazillion different stores
- To have my personal data on a crap store that was already hacked several times
- To have chinese spyware on my PC.
- To benefit stores that provide worse services to customers than others.
- To contribute to "exclusives", which in turn contribute to all the points I made above.

So... fart Metro Exodus, Phoenix Point, Epic Store and "exclusives".

Not saying they can't sell their game wherever they want. Just saying that I won't contribute to things that are detrimental to me as a customer.

Last edited:
By the way, two years ago it sounded quite different, but them greenbacks were just too juicy, huh, Timmy Boy?

"Well, I should be very clear," Sweeney said. "The thing that I feel is incredibly important for the future of the industry is that the PC platform remains open,
so that any user without any friction can install applications from any developer, and ensure that no company,
Microsoft or anybody else, can insert themselves by force as the universal middleman, and force developers to sell through them instead of selling directly to customers."
It's no surprise, that these "indie" developers are the most greediest bunch of people. They are the norm, not the exception. They tell you everything you want to hear to get your money off you and then do a classical bait and switch.

But in this certain case they are telling you about how unhappy they are about platform holders forcing developers to do things actually beneficial for customer. For example console platform holders simply ban them from installing "launchers" and other malware (the real term is banned on this forum) beside their games.

So if some developer openly starts hating on publishers, platform providers, retailers or other supporting infrastructure of the gaming industry, then this kind of behavior is always a red flag and you should avoid them like the plague.

Also never ever pay in advance for an entertainment product which isn't finished and done yet!

I’m also a bit bemused by the poutrage evident elsewhere, I read the FAQ linked in the announcement and it told me I would have to download via Epic but then I can run the game independently by its own executable after that.

I’ll only need to flash up Epic for updates and the (now free) DLC. I backed on Fig intending to get the GoG version (which I will still eventually get) but I’ll now be downloading it via Epic instead. As DRM goes, not too onerous.

I already have Steam, GoG galaxy, Uplay, Origin, Wargaming's game center, I really don't see what's the problem with adding the Epic client on top of that. This is 2019, I have more RAM than even Chrome can gulp down.

Simple maths really. If you were a game developer, which one do you prefer

30% cut of your income via Steam distribution
12% cut of your income via Epic Store distribution

Selling Steam keys through my own website: 0 % cut

It's that simple.

(Or GOG keys, Humble Store or whatever people prefer).

Last edited:
During last night’s Reddit AMA, Julian Gollop clarified a few things (including an answer to one of my questions, yay!):

1) 3 large DLC’s in the year after release will now be free, includes the missed Fig stretch goals, and will transfer across to Steam and GoG after the year’s exclusivity deal is up.

2) Several minor content updates will also be provided free, though not the Chitin Armour etc which will remain as backer exclusives for those at the required pledge level.

3) Epic is only required to download the game or any content updates, the game can be run directly from its own executable. You could, if you wished, uninstall Epic after downloading and installing the game and Phoenix Point will still run.

Strangely, most questions along the lines of, “so how does it feel to sell your souls?”, “why have you ruined my life/your reputation/all future crowdfunding/all indie devs?” etc. went unanswered ;)

Several people are also advocating pirating the game, because they think the Epic launcher is insecure and infested with Chinese spyware. Sounds like downloading it from a dodgy website and having who-knows-what included with the files is a viable alternative and will really show Snapshot and Epic how wrong they are, yeah!

I’m still utterly bemused by the reactions to this announcement. Reminds me a bit of when PC games started requiring on-line activation, then Steam a few years later, and all the anger at that. Now folk are angry at having to use a different download manager? Bemused, I tell you :/

I’m still utterly bemused by the reactions to this announcement. Reminds me a bit of when PC games started requiring on-line activation, then Steam a few years later, and all the anger at that. Now folk are angry at having to use a different download manager? Bemused, I tell you :/
In reality nobody cares. PC is almost dead. Microsoft now ported DirectX 12 to Windows 7, because they are afraid of people leaving behind the platform completely.

Top Bottom