Phoenix Point is another Epic Exclusive!

Deleted member 110222

D
In reality nobody cares. PC is almost dead. Microsoft now ported DirectX 12 to Windows 7, because they are afraid of people leaving behind the platform completely.

Aren't you a PS4 fanboi?

I played a multi genre mashup in 1990 called Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday. It was my second space game after Solaris on Atari. It did everything Xcom ever did and lots more. Doomsday is one of my favorite games of all time.

If you think this guy invented the genre you should expand your horizons.

It's not a multi genre mashup. It's a gold box CRPG, using the Buck Rogers AD&D 1st edition ruleset. Also it's SSI, so yeah, they have been doing strategy and wargames before they went to create some of the most iconic PC RPGs from before the fall of the genre. But calling the combat system of the gold box engine something similar to UFO: Enemy Unknown is quite a stretch. Microprose pretty much showed up and upped the ante bit quite a large margin.

It's not a multi genre mashup. It's a gold box CRPG, using the Buck Rogers AD&D 1st edition ruleset. Also it's SSI, so yeah, they have been doing strategy and wargames before they went to create some of the most iconic PC RPGs from before the fall of the genre. But calling the combat system of the gold box engine something similar to UFO: Enemy Unknown is quite a stretch. Microprose pretty much showed up and upped the ante bit quite a large margin.

I thought the game had a number of elements from different genres, back in 1990. My only point in bringing it up was that tactical battles against aliens were happening before 1994.

Different weapon types who's effectiveness changed vs diff types of creatures and armors. A sweet grenade mechanic with many different varieties that would be graphically represented on the battlefields, including action point movement system.

Character creation including perks / traits and proficiency gain in said weapon types.

Very similar to what xcom did, but it was doing more in different areas also. It doesn't have the base building element but it did have ship battles and boarding, open solar system with random encounters and planetary battles. Pretty amazing for its time.

Last edited:
I thought the game had a number of elements from different genres, back in 1990. My only point in bringing it up was that tactical battles against aliens were happening before 1994.

Different weapon types who's effectiveness changed vs diff types of creatures and armors. A sweet grenade mechanic with many different varieties that would be graphically represented on the battlefields, including action point movement system.

Character creation including perks / traits and proficiency gain in said weapon types.

Very similar to what xcom did, but it was doing more in different areas also. It doesn't have the base building element but it did have ship battles and boarding, open solar system with random encounters and planetary battles. Pretty amazing for its time.

Oh I'm not saying it isn't. The gold box line is an epic thing to behold for its time, and the ship combat in the Buck Rogers games (btw, there is a sequel, called Matrix Cubed, you should check it out) was superb. I mean look at Pillars 2 ship combat, it's basically the same as it was in Buck decades ago :D But x-com did a lot more with terrain height, LoS, destructible terrain, stats and status effects and so on. Not to mention their overly complicated AP system for maneuvers and such. Oh and ofc the crushing difficulty, especially in TFTD. *shakes fist at year one losses*

there is a two factor autentication, to access your account you have to insert a code given via email so how someone else can access you account?

Two factor authentication can't protect from false login attempts. Which means login credentials were exposed. Since literally none of my other accounts got compromised, I see no reason to believe it was anything but Epics incompetence. As supported by thousands of other people having same issues. And now, news seem to surface Epic are accessing Steam user data without Valve's permission...I'll just, you know - take my data elsewhere.

Last edited:
Two factor authentication can't protect from false login attempts. Which means login credentials were exposed. Since literally none of my other accounts got compromised, I see no reason to believe it was anything but Epics incompetence. As supported by thousands of other people having same issues. And now, news seem to surface Epic are accessing Steam user data without Valve's permission...I'll just, you know - take my data elsewhere.

I love how the CEO also admitted that "yeah, we know it accesses your steam local config even if you don't link" but now that they are caught red handed, they shall fix it asap. It's a popcorn worthy show all right, especially when they try to corner the market with exclusivity, while their Trello lists being able to search for products as a new feature...

Aren't you a PS4 fanboi?
When I was at that age, I was into Amiga, NES and PSX.

And nowadays I'm still a multi-platform gamer like everyone else.

Just like spyware and other credential-stealing malware would do.

Wasn't Windows Defender originally intended to protect to you from that? Why isn't it preventing the installation of this so-called "launcher"?

Btw, was this thread supposed to be about Phoenix Point or Epic Store?
[Gandalf] They are one, the Ring and the Dark Lord...[/Gandalf]
Beware with the Chinese botnet spyware thoughtpolice program that ironically cannot be downloaded in China!

Down with that sort of thing!

And tomorrow we finally get to play this, cant wait!

Tactical tutorial:

Geoscape tutorial:

Last edited:
I don't think I have heard of this game.

To many of us "old school" gamers this is the second coming of XCOM games as the creator of Phoenix Point is none other than Mr. XCOM himself, Julian Gollop. :)
I really liked Firaxis XCOM's too, nothing bad to say about those but Julian is the mastermind behind the very first XCOM: Ufo Defence / UFO: Enemy Unknown so this is a big thing for me at least. (XCOM: Ufo Defence in US, UFO: Enemy Unknown in EU, same game though.)
The original UFO caused many sleepless nights for me and i still play it to this day every now and then. Best strategy game ever made in my books.

Btw, one of the writers of Phoenx Point is Allen Stroud, very familiar name for Elite players. ;)

Here's a bit of throwback:

Last edited:
To many of us "old school" gamers this is the second coming of XCOM games as the creator of Phoenix Point is none other than Mr. XCOM himself, Julian Gollop. :)
I really liked Firaxis XCOM's too, nothing bad to say about those but Julian is the mastermind behind the very first XCOM: Ufo Defence / UFO: Enemy Unknown so this is a big thing for me at least. (XCOM: Ufo Defence in US, UFO: Enemy Unknown in EU, same game though.)
The original UFO caused many sleepless nights for me and i still play it to this day every now and then. Best strategy game ever made in my books.

Btw, one of the writers of Phoenx Point is Allen Stroud, very familiar name for Elite players. ;)

Here's a bit of throwback:

You mean he did another take on the XCOM formula? I agree about UFO EO's greatness. I'd play it "endless mode" just enjoying the battles and rando scenarios. Leveling soldiers. Defending a base. Going back to Autocannons. Loved that game. No other like it, yet.

Seriously: Autocannons! What's better than incendiary autocannon fire? AP? WT...? I fight with STYLE!!!

Oh well, I'll have a lot of "new" games to play in a year then when they go off the EPIC store.

I used to think the same... But meanwhile I tried "unoficial demonstration" copies of epic exclusive games like "Metro Exodus" and "The Outer Worlds", and realized they're just "meh" and won't be buying them not even when they go off epic store.

I used to think the same... But meanwhile I tried "unoficial demonstration" copies of epic exclusive games like "Metro Exodus" and "The Outer Worlds", and realized they're just "meh" and won't be buying them not even when they go off epic store.
Neither will i, but there are other games that i will most likely buy when they get to other vendors.

• Borderlands 3
  • Ancestors
  • Mechwarrior 5
  • Paranoia
  • Rebel Galaxy Outlaw
  • Outer Wilds

You could have done the same with "official demonstration" by giving 1 €/£/$ to Microsoft to try both "non-exclusive games" from their store, and realize "meh, I've wasted 1 €/£/$. Or actually not yet, let me try the other high-profile titles they have in their game pass first".
:p

Top Bottom