Pilot's Fed. Promotion to Elite - Via Odyssey On-Foot Kills?

Would be good if FDev explain this things - there's no reason to keep it as a secret.
I don't think they ever did, I doubt they ever will. All forum/Reddit posts and Wiki pages have had to deal with rough estimates supplied by players as to where the boundaries between the different ranks are.

I wish they would take that CQC rank out of the Game!
It should only show up in the micky mouse CQC game!
Peeeeeeees me off every time I look at my status screen as it will always stay Helpless.
Screenshot_0163.jpg

I wish they would take that CQC rank out of the Game!
It should only show up in the micky mouse CQC game!
Peeeeeeees me off every time I look at my status screen as it will always stay Helpless.
Your fuel gauge and the equal pips are a lot more disturbing in that screenshot.

Your fuel gauge and the equal pips are a lot more disturbing in that screenshot.
Yeah I was on late last night dropping off some materials to another Cmdr, I did think I was going to run out before I got to him. I think I have enough to get home!
As for the pips I only logged on to take the pic.......promise!

I don't think they ever did, I doubt they ever will. All forum/Reddit posts and Wiki pages have had to deal with rough estimates supplied by players as to where the boundaries between the different ranks are.
Ok, FDev are not obliged to explain anything. Then we can think - they don't know?
There are many cases in Odyssey when we are not sure "Is it bug or is it feature" - as cmdr Exigeous asked in june or july.
This is mystification. When you don't know the answer, stay quiet, people will think you are mysterious.

Ok, FDev are not obliged to explain anything. Then we can think - they don't know?
There are many cases in Odyssey when we are not sure "Is it bug or is it feature" - as cmdr Exigeous asked in june or july.
This is mystification. When you don't know the answer, stay quiet, people will think you are mysterious.

you can't be wrong if nobody knows what your intention was.

I did three high CZ tonight, no ship combat. Made 12 million all up - seemed a bit light to me, but I'm only cordial with the faction. (I remember getting 8m per fight some weeks ago.)

My ship combat (Currently deadly) rank rose 1% and my Merc (Warrior) rank rose 10% - but then Warrior is a lot lower than Deadly.

.....''Pretty soon after that FDev boosted rank progression in one of their updates or patches, which didn't really fix the (suspected) issues, but just made sure that everybody started seeing progress anyway. I think in the first two months of playing I went from 0% Combat Elite to 2% Combat Elite, after the patch I went from 2% to 14% in less than two weeks''.
Our precious 'game' has really been royally done-over by it's creators on so..... so many fronts... is there a way back now? :cry:

Hrm. Well, I’m currently on Deadly. Today I did eight runs through a high security military settlement where all the NPCs have four shield bars, 18 guards and 4 personnel each time. (65,000-100,000 credit bounties on each of ‘em!). Got my backside handed to me the first few times (they have rocket launchers!?!?!!!) but at the end, checked my combat ranking, and it rose 1%. Mercenary rank (Gunslinger) up 14%.

I’d say its working as intended?

Last edited:
Killing npcs on-foot increases your mercenary rank a little and doing on-foot combat zone increases it a lot more. Killing npcs on-foot also increase your combat ranking a little.

I checked my codex entries:

EDO stats:

Low on-foot CZs: 32
High on-foot CZs: 2
Surface Combat Bonds: 237
Scavengers killed: 1723
Total murders: 267

So All of that has contributed to a raise from ~12% (ship-based) Deadly to just over Elite.

(Some) EDH stats:

Bounties Claimed: 5802
Combat Bonds Claimed: 2510

It just doesn't seem right. It took me YEARS of playing to get to Deadly - then, in three months and killing ~2000 on-foot opponents I go from the start of Deadly to Elite?

The numbers above just do NOT seem to add up.

It would be good to get some feedback if this is actually intentional since we don't seem to know if this is working as intended or not.

I'm taking this as at least a slight compensation for not granting veteran players the new Elite ranks retroactively. I'm pretty much only doing ground missions to get my personal gear done, have progressed to Soldier rank with 66% into the next and at the same time gained 46% into Elite I combat.

On foot kill did contribute combat ranking.
I reached Merc Elite but also these ground kills upgraded my combat ranking to Elite I
1631717286526.png

I checked my codex entries:

EDO stats:

Low on-foot CZs: 32
High on-foot CZs: 2
Surface Combat Bonds: 237
Scavengers killed: 1723
Total murders: 267

So All of that has contributed to a raise from ~12% (ship-based) Deadly to just over Elite.

(Some) EDH stats:

Bounties Claimed: 5802
Combat Bonds Claimed: 2510

It just doesn't seem right. It took me YEARS of playing to get to Deadly - then, in three months and killing ~2000 on-foot opponents I go from the start of Deadly to Elite?

The numbers above just do NOT seem to add up.

It would be good to get some feedback if this is actually intentional since we don't seem to know if this is working as intended or not.

It's not just the number of the kill.
You need to kill in high cz / ground settlements, take down level 4 NPCs.
It takes 4 shots from a G5 plasma handgun to kill one shield-up level 4 NPC. This lv4 NPC provide the highest exp for ranking up.
The most efficient way to kill them in cz is camping dropship landing zone with a pair of G5 L-6 stow reload rockets.
In regular hi sec base, you need to get a G5 stealth mod shotgun, kill in point blank headshot when lv4 NPC scan you.
So indeed this is a grind game. You grind higher gear then can hunt higher target and get more exp to rankup.
20210915225423_1.jpg

Top Bottom