Pilots of the galaxy, Hutton has a mission for you - Operation HOT MIST.

44.88% complete! This is proving to be a long haul in the middle orders.... if you've not done your Hutton Run yet, this is an appeal for all pilots - grab those mugs and bag some stations..... we need your help.

An update from the Hutton Mug HOT MESS team aboard the Aurora Australis.
Amy has released a new video. Plus - PENGUINS!

DSCN7449zoom (Small).jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/AusAntarctic/status/1227096061514141697?s=20

The Truckin' has gone well - they've unloaded stuff to Mawson and mugged it thoroughly.
There's a storm incoming, so they're heading out and stooging around until it passes.
They can't drop anchor by Mawson as there's nowhere suitable, so they had to hold station using the engines whilst unloading.

From CMDR Dogsbreath: "Overnight we 'stooged' to the north of the station. Stooging is the process of sailing back and fore because it's easier than trying to stay in one position. Because there's no anchorage for example.

We arrived back in Kista Strait to recommence cargo operations this morning. Mawson gets almost daily katabatics; cold air cooling overnight and flowing down from the Antarctic plateau in the mornings. The winds are often too strong to operate watercraft so we are all working on a 9am - 9pm day, in the hope the later start lets the winds die off.

A big day for cargo with the hatch lids unloaded, and the heli and trawl decks. We also took our first RTA (Return To Australia) cargo.
The cherry on the cake however was the retrieval of the two bird biologists who have been trapped (intentionally) on Bechervaise Island for the last couple of months working on the worlds longest running penguin monitoring program. They're pretty excited about a warm shower and fresh food!

Cheers

Andy and Amy FTM"

P2100020 (Small).JPG

P2100023 (Small).JPG
P2110024 (Small).JPG
P2110029 (Small).JPG
DSCN7594 (Small).JPG
DSCN7596 (Small).JPG

DSCN7605 (Small).JPG

Now THAT is how a Hutton Trucker does their thing! Plus we learned a new word - "katabatics"

A katabatic wind (named from the Greek word κατάβασις katabasis, meaning "descending") is the technical name for a drainage wind, a wind that carries high-density air from a higher elevation down a slope under the force of gravity.

Last edited:
44.88% complete! This is proving to be a long haul in the middle orders.... if you've not done your Hutton Run yet, this is an appeal for all pilots - grab those mugs and bag some stations..... we need your help.

An update from the Hutton Mug HOT MESS team aboard the Aurora Australis.
Amy has released a new video. Plus - PENGUINS!

View attachment 161951
Source: https://twitter.com/AusAntarctic/status/1227096061514141697?s=20

The Truckin' has gone well - they've unloaded stuff to Mawson and mugged it thoroughly.
There's a storm incoming, so they're heading out and stooging around until it passes.
They can't drop anchor by Mawson as there's nowhere suitable, so they had to hold station using the engines whilst unloading.

From CMDR Dogsbreath: "Overnight we 'stooged' to the north of the station. Stooging is the process of sailing back and fore because it's easier than trying to stay in one position. Because there's no anchorage for example.

We arrived back in Kista Strait to recommence cargo operations this morning. Mawson gets almost daily katabatics; cold air cooling overnight and flowing down from the Antarctic plateau in the mornings. The winds are often too strong to operate watercraft so we are all working on a 9am - 9pm day, in the hope the later start lets the winds die off.

A big day for cargo with the hatch lids unloaded, and the heli and trawl decks. We also took our first RTA (Return To Australia) cargo.
The cherry on the cake however was the retrieval of the two bird biologists who have been trapped (intentionally) on Bechervaise Island for the last couple of months working on the worlds longest running penguin monitoring program. They're pretty excited about a warm shower and fresh food!

Cheers

Andy and Amy FTM"

We said "mug the station" not "CAT the station" duh 😂

Awesome pics once again.

Hot on the heels of that report - there's SPACE SCIENCE going on, too:

"Straight back into cargo operations this morning, a slightly slower pace as we have only one set of lifting gear for the concrete blocks, and these need to be shared with the station, between blocks we have other cargo to move of course.
We're expecting less comfortable conditions tomorrow, and no operations the next day so the plan is to take the barge and IRB and their crew back onboard overnight to free up beds for the Cosmic Ray scientists and other essential personnel.

The Cos Ray team are replacing a firmware chip on each neutron monitor amplifier with an updated version. The neutron monitors and muon telescopes at Mawson study solar storms and high speed solar wind streams (which also have space weather effects which can disable satellites and give some radiation dosage to airline passengers) disturb fluxes of galactic cosmic rays, which are also measured by these detectors. In addition to maintaining these detectors, which have unique functions in global networks, they hope to upgrade the Mawson neutron monitor to detect spectral variations in cosmic rays for improved understanding of solar ejecta and interplanetary plasma conditions. Obviously! Cheers

Andy and Amy FTM"

Cosmic Ray and his mighty Muon Telescope.

If you ever wanted proof that all those "firmware" scans that we get in the galaxy really do exist - yes, and Hutton just helped deliver a pile of them to the antarctic to study interplanetary plasma. Life mirrors art once again.

Last edited:
Finally getting around to do this. Registered on your online do-hickey, I'm just deciding what ship to take :) Also, how long does it take for rare commodity to restock? I want to load up. Or mugs don't work that way?

Just to make it even MORE relevant to Elite - they've been surrounded by a pod of very curious (and hopefully NOT hungry) Orcas this afternoon:

Let's hope they don't look like that "tasty morsel" that the pirates often mention.

Getting "booped" by an Orca while in that rubber boat would be bad news indeed...

Finally getting around to do this. Registered on your online do-hickey, I'm just deciding what ship to take :) Also, how long does it take for rare commodity to restock? I want to load up. Or mugs don't work that way?
The rare gives you 1 allocation you can buy for yourself - it varies from 45 to 75 (or lower if bad things happen) depending on system state. At the moment I think it's at the 45 tonne mark. If you've got friends with you, or shout for some help for someone else to load you up (system chat can be good, or squadron chat if you're in the Hutton one - or even on the Hutton FB page), they can bring you more. The allocation respawns every 10 minutes once they've unloaded to you, so 3 ships in rotation can load you up in super quick time.

If you're totally solo though, then it's just the one load and off you go to get mugging!

WRT the hot.forthemug.com/hot-mess/ website - if you're running EDMC with the Hutton Helper plugin it's instant (but check EDMC doesn't crash on you), if you're using the web based helper then it takes anything up to 30 minutes as it's on a timer tick.

The web page has a handy tool at the top where you can enter the name of the system you're in and check you're not double-mugging stations that people have already bagged! Also has a filter to show "unmugged only".

If you're making the run to Hutton, don't forget we're running a competition for the fastest recorded Hutton Run - you can find that information on the other tabs of the website.

The rare gives you 1 allocation you can buy for yourself - it varies from 45 to 75 (or lower if bad things happen) depending on system state. At the moment I think it's at the 45 tonne mark. If you've got friends with you, or shout for some help for someone else to load you up (system chat can be good, or squadron chat if you're in the Hutton one - or even on the Hutton FB page), they can bring you more. The allocation respawns every 10 minutes once they've unloaded to you, so 3 ships in rotation can load you up in super quick time.

If you're totally solo though, then it's just the one load and off you go to get mugging!

WRT the hot.forthemug.com/hot-mess/ website - if you're running EDMC with the Hutton Helper plugin it's instant (but check EDMC doesn't crash on you), if you're using the web based helper then it takes anything up to 30 minutes as it's on a timer tick.

The web page has a handy tool at the top where you can enter the name of the system you're in and check you're not double-mugging stations that people have already bagged! Also has a filter to show "unmugged only".

If you're making the run to Hutton, don't forget we're running a competition for the fastest recorded Hutton Run - you can find that information on the other tabs of the website.
I use the web site. I've figured out how it works already, it's actually quite neat.
I had this stupid idea of taking my Cutter to Hutton, and just hoping somebody is there. Not in full trader loadout, it would be silly. But I just prefer to travel in it. Good I didn't. It was empty, and I didn't know where to ask if somebody is there. I'm in open always. I'm not in a squadron, nor do I use FB so I'm on my own :)
I took 30 mugs in my Mamba, delivering 1 per station. Have just few left, it's really not the kind of gameplay I prefer but I wanted to get involved. It's too silly and fun not to :) I may do some more runs in upcoming days, just need to find some patience.

I use the web site. I've figured out how it works already, it's actually quite neat.
I had this stupid idea of taking my Cutter to Hutton, and just hoping somebody is there. Not in full trader loadout, it would be silly. But I just prefer to travel in it. Good I didn't. It was empty, and I didn't know where to ask if somebody is there. I'm in open always. I'm not in a squadron, nor do I use FB so I'm on my own :)
I took 30 mugs in my Mamba, delivering 1 per station. Have just few left, it's really not the kind of gameplay I prefer but I wanted to get involved. It's too silly and fun not to :) I may do some more runs in upcoming days, just need to find some patience.
we really appreciate your help - this is an absolutely HUGE mission and each person who takes part in the silliness moves us that little bit closer to our target. It also helps that everyone who joins in gets 1 entry into the raffle for a Hutton prize at the end of it all.... If you ever DO feel the space madness take hold and plan a trip in a large ship/want loading up - drop me a PM and give me some notice and I can get someone to meet you and load you up.

There are some great locations out there as well that people are finding. Noticed that Psykit (PA)
Source: https://www.twitch.tv/psykit
discovered a planetary base on the edge of a cliff this week and mugged it. There has been much mugging going on during those streams, but luckily due to having an "alt" commander, the odd break has been taken from the shenanigans. Worth a follow on twitch. We've tagged that location for some base jumping shenanigans at a future date. We're also looking for stations that are super close to a planetary body or moon, those with awesome views, ones inside exclusion zones of funky stars or with stupid fast orbits!

Last edited:
we really appreciate your help - this is an absolutely HUGE mission and each person who takes part in the silliness moves us that little bit closer to our target. It also helps that everyone who joins in gets 1 entry into the raffle for a Hutton prize at the end of it all....

There are some great locations out there as well that people are finding. Noticed that Psykit (PA)
Source: https://www.twitch.tv/psykit
discovered a planetary base on the edge of a cliff this week and mugged it. There has been much mugging going on during those streams, but luckily due to having an "alt" commander, the odd break has been taken from the shenanigans. Worth a follow on twitch. We've tagged that location for some base jumping shenanigans at a future date. We're also looking for stations that are super close to a planetary body or moon, those with awesome views, ones inside exclusion zones of funky stars or with stupid fast orbits!
Oh yea, I've been on the lookout for fun places in a bubble. So many literal backwater middle of nowhere systems nobody ever visits, who knows what they can hide. There's still exploration to be done in the bubble. Unfortunately I've not found anything really interesting, apart from this spiky planet completely covered in mountains. I have also mugged a planetary port called...Shipton. I know. I have misread that too at first :D
VW1ICet.jpg

Top Bottom