Pilots of the galaxy, Hutton has a mission for you - Operation HOT MIST.

We've had an update from the MV Aurora Australis - taking a Hutton Mug to the Antarctic science stations IRL as part of HOT-MESS:

As written by CMDR Dogsbreath:
"One of the projects we have on the ship involves a couple of computer graphics arts fellows.

The focus of the Arts Fellowship is to digitally capture the wonder, intricacy and complexity of a complete resupply voyage lifecycle of RV Aurora Australis. They hope to document as many dimensions of each stage through 3D vision (LIDAR), video and still photography, trackers and interviews at every stage of the cycle. The product will be a tribute to the Aurora as she completes her role as the Australian Antarctic Division resupply steed."

And yes, there's a ninja mug in each shot.....

20200125_172505 (Small).jpg

20200125_162609 (Small).jpg

20200125_172309 (Small).jpg

This shows their progress so far:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:694307/zoom:10

And their twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/AusAntarctic

Another sneaky mugshot! We even got the government twitter feed to give us a FORTHEMUG

Better log in and give them one back. 1000nM to go until they land, we'd better get our part of the mission complete before they do!

Source: https://twitter.com/AusAntarctic/status/1221931459100831744?s=19

We've also got multicrew ongoing! Amy, the deputy voyage leader is throwing a science buoy overboard to measure climate (their equivalent of a detailed surface scan with the FSS).

Source: https://twitter.com/AusAntarctic/status/1222003755190648832?s=20

They're far enough south that they've found icebergs... no word yet on whether they're hunting for void opals
DSCN6925 (Small).jpg

DSCN6922 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
Another sneaky mugshot! We even got the government twitter feed to give us a FORTHEMUG

Better log in and give them one back. 1000nM to go until they land, we'd better get our part of the mission complete before they do!

We've also got multicrew ongoing! Amy, the deputy voyage leader is throwing a science buoy overboard to measure climate (their equivalent of a detailed surface scan with the FSS).

They're far enough south that they've found icebergs... no word yet on whether they're hunting for void opals
View attachment 160381

View attachment 160382

Absolutely amazed with the work being done by the Aurora Australis! That mug will keep you warm and safe from the harsh cold! #ForTheMug

This is the single most ridiculous thing I've seen in as long as I can remember. The fact the scope is now including actual real people doing actual real stuff is just plain silly.

Wait... what is this strange feeling... uh.. could it...

AM I OVERWHELMED WITH JOY?

Why, yes. Yes, I am.

So, my love/hate relationship with ED has now moved a couple of ticks further in the 'love' direction. Good job, guys!

View attachment 160381

View attachment 160382
That one doesn’t have the characteristic shape for it to have core materials.

Dam what a numty i am, just sold all my mugs at one station so on my way to hutton to get more mugs. I think FD need to reverse the sale screen so you have to go up instead of down when selecting how many items to sell

Update from the Orange Roughy (aka Aurora Australis).

We asked whether he had a link to its ship specs including optional internals and crew capabilities.

'
So, the Aurora Australis.
I think it's about on par with a Type 7. Initially I thought a Type 6 but I think the capacity for fuel and cargo is to high. We typically carry about 1million litres of MGO (Marine gas Oil) fuel for the ship, up to 1 million litres of SAB (Special Antarctic Blend) fuel for the station we're resupplying, around 200MT of cargo and up to 116 passengers. Too much for a Type 6...

We certainly have a SLF bay. We carry two to four AS350B helicopters to Antarctica and back each year, although of course we don't have a rebuild option! Our preference is to not crash them or get them shot down in the first place...

As far as SRV's go, we sail with a range of toys. We have a (Fast Response Craft) FRC, pretty cool tool, it deploys in 90 sec goes about 35kts and is used for emergencies. We also have a couple of IRBs (Inflatable Rubber Boats) and an 11 ton jet barge. The jet barge carries all our cargo ashore and the IRBs provide SAR and do passenger transfers. We also carry, at times and ROV and occasionally an AUV. In early season ice we use a drone to fly ice reconnaissance - much cheaper than a helicopter...
I think the record we've had on board was six, a few years ago when we medivaced a passenger from the Auckland Islands to Invercargill in New Zealand. We parked up amongst a 100 or so southern right whales in the Sound and two helicopters fitted with long range bladder tanks on the cabin floor flew down, had a quick cuppa while we refuelled them, and they (expletive) off back to NZ.

The Aurora is about 95m long, 20m wide and displaces about 8,000MT. About 11,000 fully laden and ballasted.

Two power plants (a Wartsilla V12 and V16) drive a single thruster (prop) through a mechanical gearbox. Running on the V12 we consume about 22,000ltr a day, 25,000 litres on the V16 and around 30,000 litres if we run both. It is often more economical to run both, burn more fuel but cover more miles in less time. When we ice break consumption can be up around 39,000 ltr a day.
The hull is an interesting one, only about 25mm I think at the front where it hits the ice, and single skin, but behind the single skin is a sealed tank we fill with water to give it mass, the rest of the hull is thinner but double skin with ballast water between the two, so if you puncture the hull it's only water on the other side... It's probably the equivalent of reinforced alloy, not quite up there with the Russian ice breakers with their Military grade alloy hulls made from 30mm steel a 100mm cavity flooded with concrete and then an inner skin of 15mm steel...

Multicrew of course. We have 23 onboard. A captain, 4 officers (1 is an extra to assist with position holding in Kista Strait), 8 IRs (integrated ratings) who do all the deck work, 5 engineers, 3 cooks (never call a ships cook a chef!), 3 stewards.'

This is the single most ridiculous thing I've seen in as long as I can remember. The fact the scope is now including actual real people doing actual real stuff is just plain silly.

Wait... what is this strange feeling... uh.. could it...

AM I OVERWHELMED WITH JOY?

Why, yes. Yes, I am.

So, my love/hate relationship with ED has now moved a couple of ticks further in the 'love' direction. Good job, guys!
This.

Awesome. Absolutely nuts and awesome. :oops:

Must admit, the Aurora Australis sounds more like a Moray Starboat than anything else...... <prods Frontier> where's a Moray when you want one?

I shouldn't laugh - you're not the first and you won't be the last! We have a pinboard at Hutton for people who have done the self same thing.... had to get a bigger one.
Stick a pin in it for me, just arrived in a new system with 60+ mugs left arrived at the second station in the system with 1 mug left.

Which was discouraging.

Hey Commanders,
Amazing work on mugging stations. We are blazing through the total! I've added a few QoL things to our server to cut down on the reports you have to file. (I know it's a pain in the butt to have to fill out a report again and again).
So, when you dock at a station without a commodity market, it will remove the station from the list automatically and give you credit for the find in the mug history on the right side of the page, it will also add a point to our data warriors list starting from now.
Also when you land at a station that isn't on our list but has an active commodity market it will add that station to the system list automatically so you can mug it as usual.
This is all triggered when you dock so by the time you go to sell a mug it will have taken care of all of the behind the scenes stuff.

Also, the Hutton Helper has been updated to 2.2.06, this will happen automatically, Its main feature developed by Commander Psymons is the module that adds the nearest hot-mess station to a line at the bottom of the helper. have a look at the image below for the steps you need to do to turn this on.
infomercial.jpg

Your daily update! (Info on the Aurora Australis in the spoiler tags)
  • 28.7% of the stations are now complete
  • That's 24.56% of the systems
  • Alvin Deefer's joined in the mugging and has cured Hutton Prime in Ross 444
  • 223 commanders now taking part
  • Top commander has now completed 706 stations all on his own - congrats to Montgomery Python. That's the same as the bottom 72 commanders COMBINED.

As for the Aurora:
    They've found sea ice!
The first ice (Small).JPG

The CPR (Continuous Plankton Recorder) was retrieved for the last time as it doesn't like being towed through ice.

CPR cassette (Small).JPG

To explain, the CPR is a large metal box with fins on the back. It is dragged through the ocean about 100m below the surface. a propeller on the back drives two reels of fine mesh in a cassette. Anything that comes in through the little hole in the tip is sandwiched between the mesh and wound onto a third roller, this is then stored in formaldehyde, resulting in a record of plankton and phytoplankton along our track.

The Aurora has done around 3 Tasmania to Antarctica voyages (each between 1,200 and 3,500 nautical miles) towing CPR's every year since commissioning in 1991.

We are currently deciding if we'll pick up the acoustic whale mooring. It's basically a microphone in a very watertight box, hooked up to a memory card and moored in about 1000m under the ocean by a block of concrete. It records all the whale song in the southern ocean. The batteries last a couple of years and we collect them by parking above them, and sending an acoustic signal through the water, which causes a release mechanism to trigger and let the floats attached to the box rise to the surface... With a couple of these moorings we can count and monitor the movement of whales through the southern ocean, especially as we can identify individual whales by their distinct vioces.

Now if you combined the two in ED (whale acoustics and CPR)...

It makes you wonder doesn't it. Think thargoid listening stations... What if and engineer like Palin were to design a towed listening station that could be deployed behind a ship to discover 'goids or other 'things of interest'. What if a squadron towed them and could then triangulate a position...

1580304841455.png

Top Bottom