Pimax 5k+ play Elite impressions

Get it here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XTBZBFN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

18mm Gasket works perfectly for me - no distortion or warping.

The custom MaxDAS :

Vive DAS, 3D printed adapters and VRCover foam replacement

It is now an awesome headset, out of the box it was trash, i was ready to sell it after the first evening of discomfort and distortion drama.

Good call!. I set my pimax 5k+ up yesterday and that headset is really painful for me. After 30 minutes testing I drew blood. I have a slight kink in my nose so it protrudes a few mill just left on the bridge of my nose (broke it years ago) - so its difficult to fit in the small gap with the IPD set narrow with the foam faceplate pimax supplied. The sharp corner of the lh lens housing behind the fabric actually rubbed then cut into my nose. (still tender now!).
Widening the IPD further is not an option (unless you're Marty Feldman). I can only assume the designers had small noses or wide eyes - lol. Went to work today looking like Rudolph.
I ordered this gasket set from amazon late last night - it arrives Saturday am. Hope I don't lose too much fov by having my face further out from the hmd or I might have to get my file out to make modifications ------ to my nose!

I gotta add, the 5k+ was pretty stunning. It runs ok on my AMD8350+1080ti and I haven't tweaked anything yet. Just set to vr medium in ED, normal fov in pitools and I'm getting between 45-80fps (thats in DW2 exploring and a bit of cqc). I think its far better image than my cv1 and the fov makes it far more immersive. Just gotta nail this face-fitment issue of it will mean cosmetic surgery - for the pimax or me.

Increasing the gamma setting was the best thing for me. Did it a few months ago after reading a post in this thread. No more god rays and there are still deep blacks in the background. I use a Rift with the spud regedit fix (look it up). Thank you for the review.

I've been using the spud fix for a while as well but never thought to bump the gamma up. I'll give it a try.

Hi all,
After owning an Oculus Rift DK2 for a few months, I've been out of the VR loop for a long time. I've just received my Pimax 5K+ and I have no idea how to get it running with ED.

I installed the official Pitool driver and have the Frontier store version of Elite Dangerous Horizons. I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

My headset is turned on, and when I launch ED and go to 3D options, I can't select VR. The display selection only lets met choose between my two regular monitors. I'm not sure what I'm missing, am I supposed to install an additional 3rd party software ? Any help will be appreciated, I didn't find the answer on Google...

Hi all,
After owning an Oculus Rift DK2 for a few months, I've been out of the VR loop for a long time. I've just received my Pimax 5K+ and I have no idea how to get it running with ED.

I installed the official Pitool driver and have the Frontier store version of Elite Dangerous Horizons. I have the latest Nvidia drivers.

My headset is turned on, and when I launch ED and go to 3D options, I can't select VR. The display selection only lets met choose between my two regular monitors. I'm not sure what I'm missing, am I supposed to install an additional 3rd party software ? Any help will be appreciated, I didn't find the answer on Google...

Found this:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/473108-Optimal-Elite-Dangerous-Settings-for-Pimax-5K

Also found this which may be helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comm...order_of_operations_for_installing_a/ef6edrr/

Last edited:
Thanks, so it seems I'll have to install Steam VR and ask for a Steam key for the game, otherwise I won't even be able to play it in VR... That's a shame, I hope Frontier still agrees to give Steam keys.

Thanks, so it seems I'll have to install Steam VR and ask for a Steam key for the game, otherwise I won't even be able to play it in VR... That's a shame, I hope Frontier still agrees to give Steam keys.

I don't have a Pimax, but Rift and Pro and with these you don't need to launch the game from Rift home of Steam, but straight from the desktop via FD's launcher. I am sure this is the case with Pimax, but you might have to have Steam VR running or Pitool running. Hopefully one of the VR Guru's will be on in a minute to confirm or correct me.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guys, but that's what the thread Space Dandy pointed me to said :

PiTool will find all your VR games (Oculus or Steam). I have a copy of ED running in both ecosystems (Steam for Odyssey and Oculus for Rift). It will present both games if you have two copies. It will tell you you need to start "Oculus" before you launch the associated copy of ED and it will also tell you you have to launch "SteamVR" before you start the Steam copy. HOWEVER, I was never able to get the Oculus copy running on the 5K+ HMD at all. Only the SteamVR copy worked. If you want to run ED, It appears that you will need a copy on Steam. (I believe you can still get a free Steam Key from FDEV if you already have an Oculus license for the game).

Either way, I'll give it a shot with what I have, and if it doesn't work I'll try to get a Steam key.

Thanks for the replies guys, but that's what the thread Space Dandy pointed me to said :

Either way, I'll give it a shot with what I have, and if it doesn't work I'll try to get a Steam key.

I don't have steam. See the previous post. Make sure pi tool is running and steam even though you don't have steam copy

Last edited:
Hi folks, so I have been using VR for ages, started with Rift DK2, then HTC Vive, also I have PSVR & Samsung Note 9 VR.

Recently I got the Samsung Odyssey Plus from the USA which I love as the text is now so readable, fantastic HMD.
I purchased a Pimax 5k Plus from eBay and set it up over the weekend, boy what a disappointment!
I got terrible eye strain with the Pimax 5k so much so that 5 minutes is all that I can wear it for, then when I took the headset off my eyes are all crossed and it takes a few minutes to recover.
I set the correct IPD, even adjusted it in case it was reading wrong, measured my eyes and set the IPD manually, set parallel projections for Elite, still horrendous eye strain.
This has never happened for me with any other VR system, googling 'Pimax 5k eye strain' I find that loads of users are suffering the same issue, but then some are fine as I have not seen anyone here complaining about it.

Has anyone experienced this?
Could it be a faulty HMD?
p.s. my IPD is around 63.3

Good call!. I set my pimax 5k+ up yesterday and that headset is really painful for me. After 30 minutes testing I drew blood. I have a slight kink in my nose so it protrudes a few mill just left on the bridge of my nose (broke it years ago) - so its difficult to fit in the small gap with the IPD set narrow with the foam faceplate pimax supplied. The sharp corner of the lh lens housing behind the fabric actually rubbed then cut into my nose. (still tender now!).
Widening the IPD further is not an option (unless you're Marty Feldman). I can only assume the designers had small noses or wide eyes - lol. Went to work today looking like Rudolph.
I ordered this gasket set from amazon late last night - it arrives Saturday am. Hope I don't lose too much fov by having my face further out from the hmd or I might have to get my file out to make modifications ------ to my nose!

I gotta add, the 5k+ was pretty stunning. It runs ok on my AMD8350+1080ti and I haven't tweaked anything yet. Just set to vr medium in ED, normal fov in pitools and I'm getting between 45-80fps (thats in DW2 exploring and a bit of cqc). I think its far better image than my cv1 and the fov makes it far more immersive. Just gotta nail this face-fitment issue of it will mean cosmetic surgery - for the pimax or me.

Hi mate I'd you are unsure wether to get a 9900k i would say deffo do it. I came from 2700k @ 4.7 and the difference is staggering.

If you have long hair, put it through the hole in the back of the strap, if not, hang some extra weight on the back of the strap(between 100 to 500 grams), this makes it so that it wont slip upwards in the back and will stop the HMD from weighing on your face, most of the weight will be carried by the top strap/top of your head.
That should protect your nose from further damage.

no need for counter weights.

Attachments

• PimaxPhome.jpg
    PimaxPhome.jpg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 166
Top Bottom